Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Farley Souvenir Sheets Margins Question

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 240Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
6 Posts
Posted 11/29/2020   2:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add mccune68 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello all. I am in the process of designing my own album pages for my US collection and have hit a small snag. I am trying to find out what are the specific sizes of the souvenir sheets (with the wide margins) for this set so that I can have the pages correct in this album.

I know that for this set, proper identification of Scott #s 766-770 (the sheets, not the singles) is through either having a portion of the adjacent sheet with the proper gutter margin visible, or by having the sheet itself with wide margins on one or two sides. I prefer to have the latter in my collection, but I want my album pages to have the correct dimensions of these sheets so that they look nice.

An example is the #767 sheet at the bottom of this page:

https://www.stampsmarter.org/1847us...rySheet.html

As you can see, it has the 'wide' margins in the left and bottom, indicating this must be from the Farley special printing. What I am trying to find out is how 'wide' those margins are on each side so that I can design my album spots accordingly. I haven't been able to find a resource that talks about these wide margins, just the gutter dimensions. Does anyone know where I could find that information?
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
443 Posts
Posted 11/29/2020   3:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add uboatnut to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The answer to your question is "It depends on whether your sheet has one or two of the wide margins."

I made a 123 page album for the Farley Special Printings using AlbumEasy. It is available for free download from the AE website at https://www.thestampweb.com/albums/free-downloads. You can download just the pdf and print only those pages you want, or, if you have the free AE software, you can download the txt file and modify the pages any way you want. Those pages - unlike my own album pages shown below - do not bear the Scott numbers due to copyright issues.

I set the frame line dimensions to accommodate the sheets that I had.

Here are the frame dimensions I used (mm width x mm height), which allow extra space for the Scott/Prinz mounts that I used.

#766: 150 x 168 one wide top margin
#767: 150 x 168 one wide top margin
#768: 114 x 108 one wide left side margin
#769: 134 x 138 two wide margins - top and right side
#770: 128 x 136 two wide margins - top and left side

Here are two of the finished pages showing one and two wide margins.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by uboatnut - 11/29/2020 3:47 pm
Valued Member
United States
6 Posts
Posted 11/29/2020   6:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mccune68 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Oooh, neat, I am also using AlbumEasy, so that may be just what I need. I will check it out, thanks!!
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
443 Posts
Posted 11/29/2020   7:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add uboatnut to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Be aware, those pages have spaces for singles, pairs, and all possible position plates (arrow line, center line, plate number, cross gutter, etc) for each issue as well as for the souvenir sheets as singles and pairs. There is even a page for the gummed singles. Print only what you need.
  Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 240Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05