Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Exhibit - What Software And Material Is Needed

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 458Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
22 Posts
Posted 11/29/2020   2:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Teaus to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I did a search here and found discussions pointing to sites with examples of exhibits, but I cannot find basic information on how to create an "exhibit." My use of that word is not in the formal philatelic sense but in a more practical use.

My wife knows nothing about my collection despite efforts to help her learn. My family history tells me I will pass long before she will. I want to make it easy for her to dispose of the collection, especially the CSA cover material. I have an inventory of my US and Canadian stamps, but how do you really create an inventory of Kentucky covers contains CSA usage.

I have a write-up for my CSA material, but the write-up is not married to the covers. Thus, I am thinking of an in-house exhibit showing the cover with the write-up next each cover. Sounds like an exhibit to me, and thus a long journey back to my issue.

What software do you use to create an exhbit? Word, Pages, something else? What paper do you use? I have my covers in Mylar-D pockets, but how do you mount the covers to a page? Corner mounts? How do you store the pages? Clam shell boxes? What am I missing or what don't I know?

As you can read, I know nothing about this topic. I am use to buying a stamp and placing it in my pre-printed Lighthouse or Palo page. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Send note to Staff

Learn More...
9130 Posts
Posted 11/29/2020   2:20 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If you are interested, I can help you publish your exhibit on Stamp Smarter website. You can submit it to me in any format you desire. How I end up displaying it online will depend upon the scope and breath of what you submit. You can see exhibits others have submitted here https://stampsmarter.org/learning/Home_Albums.html
Don

Edit; There is also free, downloadable online exhibit templates located here for folks who would rather develop their own.
https://stampsmarter.org/features/E...mplates.html

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
3464 Posts
Posted 11/29/2020   3:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It sounds like you are trying to make a "mounted collection" for internal enjoyment rather than a formal exhibit. An exhibit implies connectivity from item to item, telling a narrative, displaying it at stamp shows, etc.

I would keep it simple and use Word, print on 65# white card stock, place the page in page protector and then into 3-ring binders. Most collectors will use archival corner mounts, but the cover could be loose within the page protector if all you want to do is marry your write-up to the cover all in the same place.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31636 Posts
Posted 11/29/2020   4:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For your consideration.
Make a virtual tour of your collection, the write up indicating what page the particular cover lies, Burn to DVD and have in a pocket front of album.

Seems a lot of work, to remount all the covers, I have never been a fan of covers in corner mounts.
In mylar covers would be best practice ?

Pillar Of The Community
United States
652 Posts
Posted 11/29/2020   5:00 pm  Show Profile Check paperhistory's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paperhistory to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I use Microsoft Publisher for my exhibits; I find it easier to make boxes and maneuver blocks of text than in Word so it's a little more flexible for me. I use self-adhesive mounting corners on covers but there is always a bit of risk with those that a cover will get stuck. lick and stick corners are available, and some exhibitors use a trimmed mylar sleeve over the cover and then mount that.

If you were willing to scan the covers you could actually design pages with the images and never actually have to mount the material (but could use code numbers to allow everything to be matched up, or store the material in the order it appears on the pages, etc.)
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
94 Posts
Posted 11/29/2020   6:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BobInRye to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don - great stuff on StampSmarter. Really like the library and the templates are great. Thank you.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1537 Posts
Posted 11/30/2020   11:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Climber Steve to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@Teaus: welcome to the Forum and great questions. I've asked myself some of those questions since I too am working on my first ever exhibit, for a planned showing in spring, 2022. My exhibit will be a traditional exhibit, meaning few, if any, covers. The stamps themselves are small, and the exhibit will show even smaller printing plate flaws. So, I will be looking at either some sort of program, or high quality photocopies, to use with the stamps. In addition to Stamp Smarter, here are some other good references that I've found thus far in my self-educational process. Much of the info is free and open.

1) American Association of Philatelic Exhibitors (aape.org). I joined and I think the money was well spent.
2) website of Richard Frajola. Displays many exhibits of all kinds.
3) Exhibitors Press (I don't have a link, but do have it bookmarked, so can check)
4) American Philatelic Society (stamps.org) They have a guide that includes judging criteria. I saw a link to it on the AAPE web site.

Good luck!! Steve

added: www.exhibitorspress.com

Edited by Climber Steve - 11/30/2020 1:02 pm
Valued Member
United States
460 Posts
Posted 11/30/2020   4:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hoosierboy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Teaus,

You have found a friendly, supportive group of new friends here who have been there, done that; and, are ready to help you on your journey. Beyond your wife, do you have any kids or siblings, or others interested in your philatelic passions?

My family's roots are in Boone County, Kentucky. Do you have any items from that area to share images? Are you a Kentuckian?

Stay healthy and safe and keep us posted on your philatelic journey.

Russ

Valued Member
United States
22 Posts
Posted 11/30/2020   8:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Teaus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks all for the input.

@John Becker - you are correct. My language was a bit off as I am not looking to do an exhibit but a mounted collection.

@hoosierboy - born and raised in Kentucky. Grew up in Campbell County - Southgate and Ft. Thomas. I do not have any Boone County related material. All of my Kentucky material is either Kentucky CSA related or things that interest me with Louisville postmarks.

About me: no children, no siblings. I'm the last of my line. I'm an attorney that plays Xbox and Playstation when I'm not stamping. US, Canada and CSA are my collecting area.

Thanks again for all the responses. Y'all gave me lots to consider.
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 458Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05