Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Amos Advantage Universal 3-Ring Binder With Slipcase (Black Or Blue)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 536Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community

United States
1072 Posts
Posted 11/30/2020   12:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Timm to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Amos Advantage
Universal 3-Ring Binder with Slipcase (Black or Blue) Item #: SSBSBK
Binder Type: 3-Ring
Binder & Slipcase Color: Black or Blue
Binder Dimensions: 11.5"(H) x 10.25"(W) x 1.5"(D)
Slipcase Dimensions: 11.875"(H) x 10.25"(W) x 1.875"(D)

Anyone use these?
How is the quality?
Are they strong?
Are they worth the money? ($19.99)
Send note to Staff
Edited by Timm - 11/30/2020 12:36 am

Pillar Of The Community
874 Posts
Posted 12/01/2020   01:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrewM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think they're excellent. To house a large FDC collection I have, I looked at every conceivable type of binder and finally narrowed it down from about 20 different binders to two or three binders -- basically either Prinz Duchy 22-ring binders (from the UK) or these from Scott. A third possibility was the small-size Scott green 3-ring Specialty binder, but that binder is a good deal larger in height and depth so wasn't suitable for what I wanted for FDC's in this case, though I do use those very happily for regular stamp album pages.

I decided that for FDC's 22 ring binders looked better and the pages turn a little more smoothly. So I'm using a couple dozen of the Prinz Duchy binders now. But the Prinz binders had to be shipped from the UK which was not cheap, and even though they're about the same size and same price as these Scott binders, they do not come with a slipcase. I'm happy with the Prinz Duchy binders, but I'd be just about as happy with the Scott 3-ring binders which I'll most likely use for future storage of covers.

These are very well made, they have a small label holder with the Prinz Duchy binder doesn't have, the ring mechanism opens and closes smoothly and easily, and they come with a slipcase which the Duchy binder does not come with. For me, it was the number of rings that mattered most. Without that concern, I'd use these Scott 3-ring binders any day.

I find them far better than any other ring binder I looked at, even better than the popular small Lighthouse Vario-F padded binders. LH Vario binders are also three-ring, the padding of the cover feels good, but the LH ring mechanism is inferior to the Scott binders, harder to open for one thing. And the price is far higher, close to twice the price of the Scott 3-ring binders.

I see people mounting collections on small album pages in cheap office supply store binders that look pretty bad. These Scott binders are a lot nicer and very sturdy. And the price of $20 a binder with slipcase is about half the price of a normal stamp album binder, and well less than half the price of some better album binders. And a slipcase normally adds more to the cost.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by DrewM - 12/01/2020 01:26 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1072 Posts
Posted 12/04/2020   01:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Timm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the review.
Valued Member
16 Posts
Posted 12/19/2020   9:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tsmatx to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I recently purchased this binder based on this thread/review, and I am highly impressed with this product -- very high quality, great value, and I really like the modern/minimalist style, it is exactly what I wanted. I would definitely recommend this. However, it is only available in one size which is pretty small, 1.5".

Can anybody recommend a larger 3 ring binder which is similar style to this. If they made this one in 2.5" it would be my dream. I have some Lighthouse Vario and Scott Specialty but am not the fan of the style (gold detailing and ornamentation), and they don't seem as durable as this one.

Pillar Of The Community
874 Posts
Posted 12/24/2020   8:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrewM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Amos Advantage (Scott Publishing) also sells a somewhat larger black vinyl three-ring binder with a metal piano hinge, so it should last pretty much forever. It's wider than the "Universal 3-ring Binder with Slipcase" we've been discussing, so will hold more pages. Unfortunately, it does not appear to come with a slipcase and I've never figured out if some other slipcase would fit it. It's offered only in blackl. It looks like a very good binder if you're not bothered by metal piano hinges which do look kind of industrial and are a bit low on the elegance scale.

Amos/Scott also currently sell their well-known green Specialty album binders in a three-ring format using the same metal hinges. This solves the problem with those binders weakening along the hinges until they were no longer usable, a common problem with these albums. As far as I know, their similar green two-post binders are not offered with metal piano hinges. Those are still the older style with no extra reinforcement.
Edited by DrewM - 12/24/2020 8:29 pm
Valued Member
United States
16 Posts
Posted 01/02/2021   12:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sderms to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi TIMM:
I have had questions concerning album binders and slipcases so your posting and the responses were of interest to me. I collected US commemoratives years ago. Now retired, I decided to update my collection and add definitives. Albums to replace my Minkus All American was my first concern and, luckily,I was able to secure several used (but stamp-less) volumes of Schaubek Hingeless Albums, with slipcases. They were not complete so I purchased an older 3 volume set of Mystic American Heirloom Albums. Unfortunately, these albums did not have slipcases and that created a storage problem. Mystic was charging what I considered a too high price (my recollection was $35 each) for slipcases for those albums. I then noticed that the Mystic catalog was offering it's "Premium Heirloom Binder" with a slipcase for $35.95 (ESDC3). I waited a while but eventually called and was told the offer no longer existed because their supply of slipcases had been interrupted. They were limiting the slipcases sales to purchases of their Hingeless Heirloom albums (which they sell both with and without slipcases) but, when their slipcase supplier is able to restock them, the offer would be back. I am patiently waiting because these binders (ES397) seem to be a bit sturdier and "easily fits up to 125 sheets...even when filled with stamps and mounts" according to the catalog. 1.5 inch binders seem too small (the Mystic binders I have seem to be 2.25 inches). Even with a slipcase, I'd have to buy 2 of the Amos binders to accommodate the stamps and the color wouldn't match my Mystic or Schaubek albums.

This is what my kids and grandchildren call "a First World Problem" but I offer my comments for what they are worth.

Stay safe and Happy New Year.
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 536Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05