Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Special Edition Stamp Booklet 2020

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 38 / Views: 2,166Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar Of The Community
796 Posts
Posted 01/12/2021   09:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sak to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah jogil. It's Picture Post like these:

BOB listing in Unitrade, probably.
Still, quite a hot potato on eBay.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
3419 Posts
Posted 01/14/2021   10:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jogil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is interesting to note how much these stamps have been selling for on eBay. What will be the Unitrade Canada catalogue status for these booklet stamps?
Edited by jogil - 01/15/2021 08:27 am
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1119 Posts
Posted 01/15/2021   10:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well it appears it will not be a back of book issue. According to an article published in Linns stamp news it now has a Scott catalogue number. #2586a This special printing of the stamp itself is a perf 13.25 x 13.25 with a one bar tag, I have not seen that tagging style on a Canadian stamp issue before, only on postal stationary and post cards. I assume it may be a new GT1 tag, Style 12, in the next Unitrade catalogue. Image attached showing stationary and post cards with similar tag style and booklet is in amongst them.

Interesting to note, I believe it is not a "picture postage" issue, even though it looks similar, they just used the design. I personally checked with "Picture Postage" and they informed me they were not the printers and that they would not be allowed to print them if they received an order with the image from anyone.

I believe the picture postage stamps of Canada are printed by "Canadian Bank Note Company" as noted on the picture postage issues previously issued by Unitrade catalogue." This booklet was printed by Lowe Martin as previously mentioned.

EDIT: added - 2nd paragraph- after "Interesting to note" added "I believe"
added - 3rd paragraph - "I believe" at start of sentance and after the word catalogue "as noted on the picture postage issues listed in Unitrade catalogue.

Edited by No1philatelist - 01/16/2021 09:26 am
Pillar Of The Community
3419 Posts
Posted 01/15/2021   11:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jogil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
" Canada Post has teamed with the Lowe-Martin Group to bring your personalized stamps and postcards to life." See https://www.picturepostage.ca/en/about

Also see the following for information on these stamps: https://infopost.ca/make-it-safe/th...r-hard-work/
Edited by jogil - 01/16/2021 08:04 am
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1119 Posts
Posted 01/16/2021   09:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Jogil, I ammended my previous message, noting my assumptions. I guess I may have to start putting E&OE in my posts like accountants do!

Is it possible that Lowe Martin has two divisions, printing stamps for Canada Post? Funny thing that the person I spoke to from "picture postage" section, who called me back, informed me that they did not print these stamps for Canada Post.

And now that Scott assigned a major number to this issue; will it be listed in the main part, booklet # section or picture postage section of Unitrade catalogue?. We will have to wait and see.
Valued Member
Canada
81 Posts
Posted 01/16/2021   3:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Pollux to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
No1philatelist, tell me if i'm wrong but you wrote: According to an article published in Linns stamp news it now has a Scott catalogue number. #2586a

But 2586a is already attribute to the personalized version of the picture postage 2586 for the year 2012 ! How's that possible ?
Edited by Pollux - 01/16/2021 4:46 pm
Pillar Of The Community
3419 Posts
Posted 01/16/2021   8:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jogil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a link to the Linn's article mentioned above: https://www.linns.com/news/world-st...-a-thank-you

Has Canadian Stamp News (CSN) written any article on these stamps?
Edited by jogil - 01/16/2021 8:32 pm
Valued Member
Canada
127 Posts
Posted 01/16/2021   10:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PMStamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Complete booklets sold last week for $260 and today for $220 at local stamp auctions.
Pillar Of The Community
796 Posts
Posted 01/17/2021   11:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sak to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
No... it's still Picture Postage:
If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck.

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1318 Posts
Posted 01/17/2021   11:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BlackJag to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have four booklets with a blue ink spot in the exact identical location on position 7.

I also have one complete pack with two booklets, the presentation box, the message to staff and the pin on its presentation card.

The presentation box's unfolded outside and inside

Unfolded outside and inside Message to staff

Pin
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1884 Posts
Posted 01/17/2021   11:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The rainbow bus plus sun reminds me a lot of Peter Max art.
Pillar Of The Community
7535 Posts
Posted 01/17/2021   11:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Peter Max fifty years of art.

Valued Member
90 Posts
Posted 01/18/2021   10:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add UnitradeEditor to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This "Thanks Merci!" item from Canada Post is Picture Postage(tm).

The current group of 12 different 'frames' that can be used for Picture Postage were released in 2012. Single stamps, with the frame only, were released by Canada Post at that time (Scott 2586-2597).

Any person or company, including Canada Post, who wishes to have their own stamp can order Picture Postage and choose one of these 12 frames. One can order either booklets of 12 or full panes (25+1 or 50). These customized stamps have been given a catalogue number of "a" from Scott Publishing for each of the 12 frames.

All of these are printed by Lowe-Martin in Ottawa.

I suspect that there have been hundreds of thousands of these Picture Postage designs created over the years. All of those that have the same frame have the same Scott catalogue number.

In this case ("Thanks Merci!"), the frame used is the "dots". As such, it falls into the Scott number 2586a listing ... like thousands and thousands of other Picture Postage stamps ordered by individuals and companies.

The Unitrade catalogue has a Picture Postage section in the back of the book with very specific guidelines:

Only Picture Postage(tm) stamps created by Canada Post, and sold to collectors in mint (unused) condition through Canada Post outlets ..." are listed.

This "Thanks Merci!" stamp does not meet this criteria. It was not sold by Canada Post to the general public at Canada Post outlets, just like thousands and thousands of other Picture Postage designs created for individuals and other companies.

This stamp may get a footnote, but it will not be getting a listing in the Unitrade catalogue (i.e. it will not be getting its own unique catalogue number).

Robin Harris
Editor, Unitrade Specialized Catalogue of Canadian Stamps
Pillar Of The Community
796 Posts
Posted 01/18/2021   11:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sak to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks a lot, Robin. But I suspect a lot of eBay buyers and sellers are going to be disappointed...
Valued Member
Canada
81 Posts
Posted 01/18/2021   12:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Pollux to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for this clarification, an expert's point of view is always the best.

Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 38 / Views: 2,166Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.38 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05