Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Sparks Auctions Changes Auction Date

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 336Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
United States
708 Posts
Posted 12/01/2020   2:59 pm  Show Profile Check docgfd's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add docgfd to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
From an email received:

NEW DATE—Sparks Auctions Sale 35 To Be Held January 9-11, 2021
Dear Valued Customer,

You are receiving this email as a follow-up to our November 24th email announcing the dates for our Winter 2021 sale next January.

Sparks Auctions works hard to get the highest realizations possible for every one of its consignors. For this reason we have decided to change the date of our sale, which will now take place January 9-11, 2021 not only to permit everyone to participate but also to help protect the valued consignments we have to offer.

Since we announced our sale, another Canadian auction house has chosen to hold their auction on exactly the same days as we had scheduled, even though we had clearly posted theses dates on our website, and informed everyone by email over one week before. This other auction firm also uses the services of Stamp Auction Network live internet bidding, and because it is very complicated to bid in two different live auctions at once, we have been forced to move our auction dates to January 9th to 11th, 2021.

Please stay tuned to Stamp Auction Network for our next sale, which promises to be a very exciting one!

Best regards,

Stéphane Cloutier
Auction Manager, Sparks Auctions
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5318 Posts
Posted 12/01/2020   3:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am guessing that Maresch is off of the Christmas card list.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
653 Posts
Posted 12/01/2020   4:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yep - I had to chuckle when I got that email - Sparks is definitely peeved at Maresch. I'm glad they moved it, I usually bid live on both. Related, the Maresch sale is now on SAN, thought it looked pretty light.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
525 Posts
Posted 12/01/2020   5:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I suspect there is something else going on there. Do you know how many major auction houses have sales on the same day(s)????? Spend some time looking at the SAN calendar and you will see all kinds of overlapped auctions. Nobody WANTS to do that, but it just ends up that way. Wasn't one of the Kelleher Langs' sales on the same days as Siegel's Gross 1847 sale?? Stuff happens.

Just cuz you have your heart set on the front and center seat in the theater doesn't mean you'll get it. No reason to storm off in a huff. Enjoy the show anyway.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5039 Posts
Posted 12/01/2020   6:16 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Dafuq? What a childish, petulant email. As mootermutt states, there are auctions on same dates all the time. It's not a kid's game of "First!" or "Called shotgun!" or whatever other idiocy this seems like. Just because you schedule an auction for a certain date first doesn't make you entitled to own that date exclusively.

Now, from the perspective of the second (or third) auction house scheduling dates, it probably wouldn't be fiscally prudent to schedule an event on the same date as a strong competitor (assuming that is the case), but sure as h*ll wouldn't be because the other party "claimed" the date first.

Freaking amateur hour.

P.S. Heck, when Regency was the inhouse auctioneer for CHICAGOPEX every year, Rasdale would ALWAYS schedule an auction for that weekend, presumably to capitalize upon the philatelic traffic flying in for the show. No one said squat.
Edited by revenuecollector - 12/01/2020 6:18 pm
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
440 Posts
Posted 12/01/2020   8:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add uboatnut to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The only time I see a problem with multiple auctions on the same day is when the lots I want to bid on in different auctions are going to come up at about the same time on SAN. I'd need two computers in order to be in two auctions at once, as my monitor doesn't support split screens. Even then, my mental faculties can't adequately support the emotions associated with simultaneous bidding and strategizing on more than one auction. Usually, the lots I want to bid on come up in the morning on auction A and the afternoon on auction B, so it's no big deal. I'm not a dealer buying multiple box lots for my business.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
30748 Posts
Posted 12/01/2020   8:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
as my monitor doesn't support split screens.

uboatnut,
consider getting a second hand el cheapo monitor, and place it above, or alongside your major monitor ($10-$20 at car boot sales)
Windows supports multiple monitors, easy to set up.

Learn More...
8769 Posts
Posted 12/01/2020   8:48 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Check and make sure that your computer has two video ports.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5318 Posts
Posted 12/01/2020   8:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have four live auctions I am participating in from December 16-19, Old Louis, Cherrystone, Raritan and Schuyler Rumsey, and my brain is hurting. It takes a lot of planning but you still need to make in-the-moment decisions that are influenced by what has happened or is happening at multiple auctions. I understand that they are all trying to cram in sales prior to Christmas to end the year but jeez. Why did they not ask me prior to setting their dates?!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
525 Posts
Posted 12/01/2020   11:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I understand that they are all trying to cram in sales prior to Christmas to end the year but jeez. Why did they not ask me prior to setting their dates?!

The nerve!!!

I was completely unaware before this thread started that we could have our say on when companies have their auctions! Wish I knew that years ago.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1064 Posts
Posted 12/01/2020   11:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Its all about the money. Always has been. If you want it, you go head to head, just like fast food joints, across from each other.

Yes we all would like to attend, view, and bid on all were interested in, but thats the nature of buisness.

I follow and usually bid both, and am glad they are on seperate days now. All you can do is review the lots, try and view the ones your interested in, or get the particulars of that lot and then bid by agent, a friend not looking for the same thing, or your limit and hope for the best. Its not easy toggling between two, if the items you are looking for come up close together.

Don makes a good point about two video ports, but that probably can be easily resolved by adding another video card to your computer. I watched two auctions at once on my samsung 9.6" tab e with two pages on screen, but boy, its easy to make a costly mistake if your not careful.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
653 Posts
Posted 12/02/2020   08:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And now Maresch has moved their auction to Jan 6-7, with the following note in SAN "Moved to Jan 6-7 to avoid a conflict with the Sparks Auction"

Now everyone can exchange Xmas cards again :)
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5318 Posts
Posted 12/02/2020   09:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 336Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.42 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05