Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Canada #864 Mis-Named?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 356Next Topic  
Valued Member

Canada
5 Posts
Posted 12/01/2020   5:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add tuco44 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Just a rookie question from a new poster to this forum - I have wondered why Canada Scott #864 commemorating 75th anniversary of the Prov of Alberta is named "Strip-Mining" in every reference that I have seen. I am familiar with Southern Alberta and to me, the stamp portrays an example of "strip-farming", not strip-mining. There are no "strip mines" in the Cowley, Alberta area, and the picture shows the farming practice of narrow alternate areas of crop and summerfallow (to reduce wind erosion, in a very windy part of Alberta.

Am I wrong or missing something altogether? Thanks.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
7427 Posts
Posted 12/01/2020   6:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi tuco44

Glad to have you on the forum.

Now this is just my opinion.
I think possibly the picture on this Scott 864 was taken from a photographer George Hunter Born 1921 and died 2013.
Take a look in the background...Possible strip mining.

Just my opinion
Robert

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by wert - 12/01/2020 6:54 pm
Valued Member
Canada
145 Posts
Posted 12/01/2020   8:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add j2186 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to this forum.

You raise an interesting point. It certainly looks more like farming than mining.

Both older (non-Scott/Unitrade) catalogues I checked just say Alberta for the description.

I wonder if you could find the original post office announcement for this issue. That might clarify the subject.

Jan
Valued Member
Canada
65 Posts
Posted 12/01/2020   9:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Pollux to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
hi tucco44,
If it helps a bit, I read the advertising phamphlet made by Canada Post to commemorate the two stamps on the 75th anniversary of Saskatchewan and Alberta # 863-864 and it is written (The dynamic growth and solid prosperity of Saskatchewan and Alberta springs from the LAND. The design of these two stamps is theresfore based on the sweep of the great plains which stentch across the boundaries of both provinces to the barrier of the Rockky Mountains) No worlds on the strip-mining in Cowley AB. The first Day cover for this stamp is in Edmonton 80-08-27 with the logo 75th.

Pollux
Valued Member
Canada
153 Posts
Posted 12/01/2020   9:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Trodent to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Possible suggestions since Cowley is near the Crowsnest Pass area and the number of Colleries in that area. Maybe?

Does anyone have the 1980 Annual Collection Book from Canada Post. There might be some useful info in there

Trodent
Pillar Of The Community
778 Posts
Posted 12/01/2020   9:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sak to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Found it!

Valued Member
Canada
5 Posts
Posted 12/01/2020   10:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tuco44 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the feedback. As to the post by sak, I cannot see that mining area on Google Earth at all, and I wonder where you found that map? Searching "wert mines" does not yield anything. In the post by wert of the stamp picture, it is clear that the "suggested mine" is west of the village of Cowley, ie towards the Rockies in the background. That does not compute with the sak map in that the Wert Ltd. mines are NE of Cowley.

I am obviously still confused. I have travelled through that part of southern Alberta, and while there are numerous coal mines further west in the CrowsNest Pass area of Alberta and BC, I do not recall any located where this Wert Ltd mine is supposed to be...???

It's not a big deal, just a weird thing in my thinking.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1068 Posts
Posted 12/01/2020   11:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Robert, I did not know you owned strip mines in Alberta. The name, Wert Limited Strip Mines.
Valued Member
Canada
5 Posts
Posted 12/01/2020   11:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tuco44 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Looking at the stamp and at Google Earth in more detail, I can see now that the photo by Hunter is taken looking SW towards the Rockies. In Google Earth, there are several areas on the ground SWof Cowley that "could" be old mine sites. Not active now, clearly. There is a large wind farm there now, that was not there in 1980 or before when Hunter took his photo. So, maybe it is correct to call it a strip mine, but to me, the stamp photo is better identified as strip farming.

I think maybe sak was having a bit of fun with wert's post....??

Thanks for the help regardless, and I will accept strip mining as the correct answer (sort of).
Pillar Of The Community
778 Posts
Posted 12/01/2020   11:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sak to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the forum, tuco44. You have stirred up curiosity with your first post. Congratulations!
(However, you may not tease wert until your 100th post!)
Edited by sak - 12/01/2020 11:12 pm
Valued Member
Canada
65 Posts
Posted 12/01/2020   11:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Pollux to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For info, Lundbreck is very close to Cowley and was incorporated in 1907 and was named for two coal miners (Lund and Breckenridge) and started out as a coal mining town. Canada Post named this stamp Alberta 1905-1980. The question is who first used the term strip-mining to identify this stamp?
Edited by Pollux - 12/01/2020 11:25 pm
Valued Member
Canada
5 Posts
Posted 12/01/2020   11:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tuco44 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I will try to remember not to tease ANYONE until I have 100 posts.

I'm just an old guy trying to get along..........

Cheers.
Edited by tuco44 - 12/01/2020 11:25 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1068 Posts
Posted 12/01/2020   11:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Tuco44, welcome to the forum.

As Sak stated, you brought up interesting subject matter. Nice! And believe me you came to the right forum for education and some fun conversation. Enjoy!
Pillar Of The Community
7427 Posts
Posted 12/02/2020   08:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Enjoy the forum tuco44

There are great people here, and yes they tease other people..As you can see.

Don't be afraid to post info or ask questions.
Robert
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1068 Posts
Posted 12/02/2020   9:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pollux asked the question- Who first used the term strip mining to identify the stamp in question?

Well I went back into the catalogues and most just mention the 75 anniversary of the creation of Alberta, and Scott notes it being a previous part of the Northwest Territories.

But I also found this- In the 1988 edition of Scotts Specialized Catalogue of Canadian stamps it is listed as #864 and described as "strip mining Alberta" as shown on page 128.

Valued Member
Canada
5 Posts
Posted 12/02/2020   10:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tuco44 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Referring to wert's posting of the George Hunter photograph above, that photo was taking for MacLean's magazine Feb 8, 1964 (MacLean's archives for Feb 8/64 issue, pages 16 & 17). The yellow circled area could be a strip mine at that time, but it is long gone now. So far, it would seem the earliest reference to "strip mine" is the 1988 Scott Spec Cat of Canada as posted by No1philatelist. George Hunter did not reference the picture as strip mining, so it may be that Scott or some such publication did ascribe mining to that photo. The official Canada Post 1980 release info makes no mention of mining.

We could be beating on a dead horse here..............
Edited by tuco44 - 12/02/2020 10:58 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 356Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 2.09 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05