Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Engraved Stamps - Take 2  

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 29
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
5699 Posts
Posted 03/17/2010   10:15 pm  Show Profile Check BeeSee's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add BeeSee to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Since I stupidididly put my previous post on engraved stamps in Canada, I have started a new one here.

Here is a lovely one from Niue in the South Pacific. After scanning, and a closer look, does the rock formation on the middle right not appear to be a face staring down on the bathing women???

Send note to Staff
BeeSee in BC
"The Postmark is Mightier than the Stamp"
http://brcstamps.com ---- BNAPS, RPSC, APS

Pillar Of The Community
United States
5700 Posts
Posted 03/17/2010   10:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice scan, Bee. Staying on the South Pacific theme, here is a red-breasted musk parrot from Tonga (#51)...SG calls it a Red Shining Parrot. The set that includes this stamp was printed by De La Rue.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
USA
3315 Posts
Posted 03/17/2010   10:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add laswabbie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I see the cold Canadian nights are starting to get to you BC. Hopefully spring will be on the way to you soon.

Actually you're right, but I think I would have said it was "leering" at them.

In general, engraved stamps are still the best IMHO!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
5699 Posts
Posted 03/17/2010   10:56 pm  Show Profile Check BeeSee's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BeeSee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Leering is right Las, quite a smirk I think!
BeeSee in BC
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
5699 Posts
Posted 03/17/2010   10:58 pm  Show Profile Check BeeSee's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BeeSee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
CJ, those older Tongan issues are great - actually all De La Rue engraved stamps are beauties.
BeeSee in BC
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
5699 Posts
Posted 03/17/2010   11:09 pm  Show Profile Check BeeSee's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BeeSee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Funny note on Toga, they now call their country Tonga with the N, since, well quite a while back, not sure when. In the language of the area "g" is actually pronounced "ng" as in sing. But Tonga decided to add ng as their official spelling, many years ago.

In Tuvalu, a sister Polynesian country of Tonga, it was the opposite. They dropped the NG spelling, which they used when they were part of the Gilbert and Ellice islands Colony, such as one of the islands called Nanumanga, and it was officially changed to Nanumaga (no N before G) in the late 1980's.
BeeSee in BC
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5700 Posts
Posted 03/17/2010   11:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There are a bunch of beautiful Gilbert & Ellice, too, but I'll let David get there with his series...here's one, just to whet the appetite:

The New Zealand life insurance issues are generally inexpensive, but great looking...

Collin
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5700 Posts
Posted 03/18/2010   12:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The vignette of the yacht Lucie figures in three Bermuda stamps, all of which are very different looking, but sharp. Today, this is my favorite of the three...tomorrow it may be another one...

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
5699 Posts
Posted 03/18/2010   12:03 am  Show Profile Check BeeSee's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BeeSee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Stop teasing me CD, I love the GEIC engraved issues! I am trying to find out if comb perfs exist for the KGVI issues.
BeeSee in BC
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
5699 Posts
Posted 03/18/2010   12:18 am  Show Profile Check BeeSee's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BeeSee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
We need Puzzler to check the Niue issue.
BeeSee in BC
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5700 Posts
Posted 03/18/2010   12:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Bee-

I haven't thought about that...the basic definitive set was split up among Bradbury, De La Rue and Waterlow, with each having distinctive perfing for their respective stamps. I'll have to take a look at what I have...not that that would be definitive (no pun intended).

Collin

Rest in Peace
Canada
6750 Posts
Posted 03/18/2010   12:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Puzzler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A photo of the Matapa Chasm on Niue.
You can see where the artist got his idea.

I thought it was Easter Island for a moment when I saw the stamp.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
5699 Posts
Posted 03/18/2010   12:38 am  Show Profile Check BeeSee's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BeeSee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Oh sorry Collin, I messed up a bit. The 1d,5d,6d,2s and 5s were printed by Waterlow as I am sure you know better than me. They are the only ones printed with the line perf, while all others were printed with comb (Bradbury and De La Rue). I heard some of the later Waterlow were done with comb, but never seen any. I do know the Elizabethan issue have comb and line, for those values changed to cents.
BeeSee in BC
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1981 Posts
Posted 03/18/2010   12:50 am  Show Profile Check jubilee's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jubilee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Oh goody! A chance to post some more classics!

First, from St Lucia

Second, Sudan

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
5699 Posts
Posted 03/18/2010   12:53 am  Show Profile Check BeeSee's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BeeSee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice shot Puzzzzler!
BeeSee in BC
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1981 Posts
Posted 03/18/2010   12:54 am  Show Profile Check jubilee's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jubilee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Next, Nyasaland (a favourite set of mine)

South West Africa on South Africa

Page: of 29 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2018 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.99 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05