Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Engraved Stamps - Take 2  

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 29
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4387 Posts
Posted 11/15/2010   11:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sweden again.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
1361 Posts
Posted 11/15/2010   1:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add AnthonyUK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Some of those are like photos. Amazing!
I've just 'won' a lot of Denmark stamps by Slania. I'll get them scanned when they arrive.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4387 Posts
Posted 11/15/2010   1:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That's a good point Anthony, engraved photos more or less fits the green gymnast one.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1084 Posts
Posted 11/15/2010   4:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cynical to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Litho: the water on the diving stamp is absolutely entrancing. Maybe I should tackle my Swede stamps before my GB ones in case I poop out and put the collection away for another extended period.
Pillar Of The Community
USA
9741 Posts
Posted 11/15/2010   4:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add philb to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great topic ! Beautiful stamps...AnthonyUk love that Slater Mill..my wife collects mills water and wind..so when we were in Rhode Island my wife told me to find it..after going around in circles for quite a while I found it..but by then they were closed for the day and we could only see the outside !!
APS 070059 Life Member International Society of Guatemala Collectors I.S.G.C. #853
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4387 Posts
Posted 11/15/2010   4:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Go for it, Al
Valued Member
Spain
266 Posts
Posted 11/15/2010   5:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add AndrewF31 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
look forward to seeing the Danish Slania stamps. I have an auctions coming up in a few weeks here in Portugal and there's a collection of Danish stamps from the period of 1960s to 1988 (the big years for Slania stamps). I'm gonna go have a look this weekend to see if it's worth it. Hopefully it is and I may increase my Scandinavian collection in 1 easy shot.

I see there are at least 2 more Slania sets from Sweden that slipped my eye. He was truely a wonderful engraver. Do you have the 2000 engraved sheet, the largest engraved stamp ever? Beautiful stamp.
Pillar Of The Community
USA
9741 Posts
Posted 11/15/2010   6:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add philb to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ok, heres my engraved offering from the 1890 Guatemala Quetzal set..my scanning leaves a lot to be desired but I hope it shows up fairly well !

APS 070059 Life Member International Society of Guatemala Collectors I.S.G.C. #853
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4387 Posts
Posted 11/15/2010   6:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Andrew, I have seen the Slania's 1000th 2000 stamp on other forums, one even showed a black proof and it looks better in one colour than in multicolor. No I don't have it since I stopped buying Swedish (more or less all) stamps around 1985.

I also like Danish stamps very much and Slania engraved many but their main engraver was Arne Kühlmann who did work like this.

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4387 Posts
Posted 11/15/2010   6:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is probably Slania's best work for Denmark.

Corner block of the sheet stamp.

Sheet stamp

Valued Member
Spain
266 Posts
Posted 11/15/2010   6:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add AndrewF31 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Those Danish stamps are amazing, and I see they're from the range the auction includes.
I've seen Kuhlmann mentioned in the my Facit catalogue. His stamps do look great also in miniature form. Even better zoomed in like you did.

Concerning the Slania stamp sheet, Swedish Post still sells it. This week I'm going to order some Christmas stuff (tomorrow or the day after). If you're interested in having the stamp, I could order and send it to you. The sheet costs around 7 dollars Can$.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4387 Posts
Posted 11/15/2010   7:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Amazing that it's still on sale 10 years after issue. My Michel Nord Europa 2004/05 doesn't list quantities for the sheet, I wonder how many were printed?

As far as acquiring the sheet, my accumulating days are basically over, if anything I should get rid of the stuff.
Edited by lithograving - 11/15/2010 7:10 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4387 Posts
Posted 11/15/2010   7:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Good stuff Phil keep them coming.
I'm curious as to who the printer was, I doubt if it was done locally in Guatemala, probably American Bank Note or one of the British printers.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1512 Posts
Posted 11/16/2010   12:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bfranton to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
These are marvelous; still need someone to tell me why some of the thread links show as "gibberish" and there is nothing to link to. Basically photo removed

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
1361 Posts
Posted 11/16/2010   02:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add AnthonyUK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If someone links to an image on a hosting site and subsequently removes their account, deletes the image or restricts access to the image you will see the 'photo removed' error.

Litho - Coincidentally I was looking at the Hafnia sheet earlier today. Very nice and I'm looking forward to my Danish delivery even more now.
Page: of 29 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2018 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.76 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05