Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Engraved Stamps - Take 2  

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 29
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
1355 Posts
Posted 11/16/2010   08:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampgal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's an interesting example - one designer but two engravers - Swedish again. Morck is another favourite of mine, but I'm not familiar with the other engraver.

(Edit - the stamps are the same size in real life, I reduced the second scan by too much, whoops)
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by stampgal - 11/16/2010 08:26 am
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
1361 Posts
Posted 11/16/2010   2:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add AnthonyUK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My neice is currently working in Monaco and send me over a few of the current releases.
Whilst not the best examples of engraved stamps it is still nice to see that there are some being produced.

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
1361 Posts
Posted 11/16/2010   2:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add AnthonyUK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
1355 Posts
Posted 11/16/2010   2:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampgal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I like the space shuttle stamp, that's a nicely laid out design.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4409 Posts
Posted 11/16/2010   5:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
stampgal The engraver on your bottom stamp is Piotr Naszarkowski who not only engraves Swedish stamps but also for Poland, Vatican City plus he was responsible for the US Greta Garbo stamp
His style is similar to Slania's and he is also from Poland.

Anthony those Monaco are still very well engraved, I especially like the 0,10 birds stamp.
I noticed these include the printer on the bottom centre ITVF Imprimerie des Timbres et Valeurs Fiduciaires (French Government Printing Office)
Edited by lithograving - 11/16/2010 5:18 pm
Valued Member
Spain
266 Posts
Posted 11/16/2010   5:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add AndrewF31 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Monaco makes some very nice stamps, and a large majority are still engraved, which is always good nowadays that offset printing is cheaper and many countries have moved to it.
Rest in Peace
Canada
6750 Posts
Posted 11/16/2010   6:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Puzzler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Those are nice stamps. I especially like the Euro 5,00 bird and the space vehicles side by side.

The darn Sherlock Holmes and Watson I assume stamp didn't load all the way in on my slow speed but I will try again. I might have had another tab open at the same time.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5349 Posts
Posted 11/16/2010   9:26 pm  Show Profile Check stallzer's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Canada, 10 Windsor Castle

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5349 Posts
Posted 11/16/2010   9:31 pm  Show Profile Check stallzer's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
US 1925 Norse-American Issue

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1512 Posts
Posted 11/16/2010   9:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bfranton to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
So, everyone is so heads above me on who engraved what and where they were from ... please share where You have located all this wealth of information. Engraving is certainly an art form, and I've managed to learn the differences between post modern and classical / impressionists and cubists. Never considered I'd be expanding to learn about some of those who have been important thru the decades in engraving and the stamp world.
Thanks.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4409 Posts
Posted 11/17/2010   12:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi bfranton,

There's been a couple of links posted here before regarding Slania and Czechoslovakian engravers, I don't know if you saw them but here they are again.

Slania http://www.slaniastamps-heindorffhu...m/index.html

Czech engravers & designers http://www.batz-hausen.de/titel.htm

Try just googling a name and see what you can up with, that's what I do.
There are some books available about the more well known (famous) engravers, I believe AnthonyUK just located a book about Slania but they are pricey.
I used to subscribe to the Danish Philatelic Center and they issued a monthly booklet which had some info re designers & engravers such the little article on Arne Kuhlmann below.
I also wish there was more written about these craftsmen who created such miniature works of art but there isn't a heck of a lot out there.

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
1361 Posts
Posted 11/17/2010   03:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add AnthonyUK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Anthony those Monaco are still very well engraved, I especially like the 0,10 birds stamp.
I noticed these include the printer on the bottom centre ITVF Imprimerie des Timbres et Valeurs Fiduciaires (French Government Printing Office)

Oh don't get me wrong. They are far from bad and I do like them a lot.
I think you mentioned elswhere though that modern engravings are often created using a different process to save costs.
I'm very glad to have them along with my France collection which is next on my list to organise and my small but expanding French Antarctic (TAAF). I will keep these 3 sets together I think.

Personally I think the NASA 50th Anniversary is a little bit busy for a smaller stamp but only slightly

I must ask her to look out for any mini-sheets.

BFranton - Finding resources about Designers and engravers is also something I'm interested in. Lithograving is a great resource in this area .
For the Monaco stamps they have a decent amount of information on their postal service website e.g. http://www.oetp-monaco.com/webkit/j...63&langue=EN
Edited by AnthonyUK - 11/17/2010 03:05 am
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
1361 Posts
Posted 11/17/2010   4:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add AnthonyUK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't often find fairly recent UK stamps that are suitable but here's one of the man who started it all.

and a crane from China

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4409 Posts
Posted 11/17/2010   4:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That Hill is one sharp engraving. I wonder who did the engraving and who were the printers. Enschede?
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
737 Posts
Posted 11/17/2010   6:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ryan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
That Hill is one sharp engraving. I wonder who did the engraving and who were the printers. Enschede?

That is one of Slania's engravings - he engraved the portraits on all four values in that set. According to SG, the stamp was printed by Harrison.

Everybody can snoop through their used copies of this stamp. The official release date was September 5, 1995, but according to SG, "The 25p was pre-released and is known postmarked 29 August 1995 at Glasgow."

Ryan
Page: of 29 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2018 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.78 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05