Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Engraved Stamps - Take 2

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 431 / Views: 113,549Next Topic
Page: of 29
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4993 Posts
Posted 04/17/2011   7:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I figure it's time to revive this thread.

These Austrian stamps below are based on works by famous
artists and paintings.
They are part of a collection in the Kunsthistorisches museum, Vienna which has many works of art that
Habsburg rulers acquired over the centuries.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4993 Posts
Posted 04/17/2011   7:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is another masterpiece by Titian, one of the
best Italian Renaissance painters.
This painting is housed in Prague's Castle gallery.

Rest in Peace
Canada
5701 Posts
Posted 04/17/2011   8:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BeeSee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice Litho.
BeeSee in BC
"The Postmark is Mightier than the Stamp"
http://brcstamps.com ---- BNAPS, RPSC, APS
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4993 Posts
Posted 04/17/2011   8:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks BC. Pity they don't make them like that anymore, the stamps
nor the painters.
Valued Member
United States
427 Posts
Posted 04/17/2011   9:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add butterfly to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks from me too! Comparing with the originals really hits the spot! The Duerer original particularly jumped out at me. Also the scans bring out the rich details of the engravings, which I don't really notice when looking at the actual stamps.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
6513 Posts
Posted 04/18/2011   09:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Litho for reviving this thread. It's an important discussion. There's a parallel one going on about the degradation of quality in stamps.

http://goscf.com/t/8176

The fact is that the art is being sacrificed for the bottom line. I can credit my stamp collecting for helping me become an artist, I used to look at the engraving through a microscope lens and marvel at it.
Now as an artist, I find myself unemployed because my job is exported to a foreign country because it's cheaper. (Don't get me started!)
Below is a vignette die proof I have framed in my home. It is a work of art! (Although it was for a piece of currency, the principle is the same as for stamps)

I'm not a fan of Columbus by any means (a native friend insists on turning it to the wall when she comes to visit, it's great fun), but the clean line and skill are marvelous. That's what's being lost.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4993 Posts
Posted 04/18/2011   4:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm not a fan of Columbus by any means (a native friend insists on turning it to the wall when she comes to visit, it's great fun)

I had to laugh when I read that. Even though Chris didn't really
"Discover" it in the true sense of the meaning, if not him someone
else would have stumbled on these huge continents and events would have
unfolded just the same.
I'm not a fan of revisionist history. Whatever happened, happened and it can't be changed now.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4993 Posts
Posted 04/18/2011   5:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Speaking of Christopher Columbus here is a nice souvenir card
printed by the BEP.

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4993 Posts
Posted 04/18/2011   5:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A couple from Sweden.

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4993 Posts
Posted 04/18/2011   6:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A Swedish setenant coil pair, engraved by Martin Mörck.

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
6513 Posts
Posted 04/18/2011   7:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Re: Columbus 'discovering' America. As they say, you can't discover something that's not lost.
But that aside, aren't these all amazing up close?
Valued Member
Croatia (Local Name: Hrvatska)
44 Posts
Posted 04/23/2011   1:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Tomislav to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
hope you like this one

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4993 Posts
Posted 05/23/2011   3:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Time to revive this thread again. The other thread is
more or less about the engravers http://goscf.com/t/9106
and this one here I gather is just about the beauty of engraved stamps with no emphasize
as to who the engraver was.

Just the other day I was going through some of my FDC and noticed
this Swedish one from 1968 portraying wildflowers and was
again struck how a simple mono or bi colour engraving can make
a flower looks so attractive.
Actually after buying this FDC around 1970 I started collecting
Swedish stamps, primarily because of the engravings not
because they were engraved by Slania, who I had never heard of
before.
I always meant to get the MNH booklet but never did.

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4993 Posts
Posted 05/23/2011   4:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
These Swedish stamps were issued in 1983 to commemorate
500 Years of printing in Sweden.
I can't imagine these stamps being printed either offset
or photogravure.
Perhaps letterpress/topography might have been suitable
since that was the print method used in the Fifteenth Century.

Rest in Peace
United States
1225 Posts
Posted 05/23/2011   5:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add artlaunier to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just curious but, are there any countries still engraving regular issue stamps?
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed. (The exact & entire wording of the 2nd Amendment to the U.S. Constitution)
Page: of 29 Previous TopicReplies: 431 / Views: 113,549Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 4.49 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05