Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Engraved Stamps - Take 2  

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 29
Pillar Of The Community
7524 Posts
Posted 06/28/2011   06:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nethryk to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
lithograving - You're most welcome. Collectors may wish to note that it would be more accurate to say that these two engravers were the Sánchez Toda brothers. In Spain, it is customary in people's surnames to use the father's family name (here, Sánchez) first, followed by the mother's family name (Toda). In an alphabetical listing, their last names should be placed under "S." Interestingly, Gene Hessler failed to pick up on this important point about Spanish surnames in his book The International Engraver's Line.- nethryk
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
1361 Posts
Posted 07/28/2011   5:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add AnthonyUK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A work colleague gave me a bag of stamps to sort through.
I found quite a few more recent engraved and engraved/photo types.

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
1361 Posts
Posted 09/04/2011   06:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add AnthonyUK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I bought a large number of items yesterday at a fair. All 5p each.
I went outside of my comfort zone and ventured into Eastern Europe and USSR.

Edited by AnthonyUK - 09/04/2011 06:56 am
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
1361 Posts
Posted 09/18/2011   06:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add AnthonyUK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This weekends acquisitions include this facsimile recently issued by Royal Mail.
I don't know if the original plates were used but from discussions I have read on this it may have been.

Valued Member
Denmark
411 Posts
Posted 04/13/2012   02:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ClassicalStamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great thread with lots of interesting items. I collect (among other things) France -1960 because of the beautiful engravings. Here's an example:

Pillar Of The Community
7524 Posts
Posted 04/13/2012   11:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nethryk to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
ClassicalStamps - Welcome to SCF. Your French UPU airmail stamp is indeed very classy. I am also a fan of Pierre Gandon's work, as well as that of many other French stamp designers and engravers. You may wish to contribute images of some of your stamps in the "Collecting by Engraver" thread in the Topicals section of SCF. I'm sure they'd be much appreciated there, too.

- nethryk
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
23813 Posts
Posted 08/11/2012   06:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I came across this whilst Googling,
and thought it warranted a post.
Looks like an engraving to me,
striking picture of Her majesty.

Valued Member
United Kingdom
71 Posts
Posted 04/12/2013   1:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JonEBoy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well I've been away for some time and have added significantly to my collection during that period, including these, my small contribution for today.

From Belgian Congo, semi postals to celebrate the birth Bicentenary of Mozart, 1956 SG328 and 329

Jon
Valued Member
299 Posts
Posted 04/13/2013   01:50 am  Show Profile Check matttodd1's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add matttodd1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I love this thread! I would love to gather together 20 or so of my favorite engraved issues and have them matted and framed. It's the kind of thing you could look at for quite a while. My favorite has to be the Princess Grace back on page 25 - I believe that was engraved by Slania.

Matt
Pillar Of The Community
2013 Posts
Posted 02/27/2015   6:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add area66 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know why this tread is near dead, let's revive it , I just receive this one

Valued Member
United States
437 Posts
Posted 03/09/2015   11:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dcaraz1949 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is a great topic! Love the images! Engravings beautifully depicting the history of so many famous persons, important places, and historically significant times first drew me to stamps. The bright colored pictorials from the British Commonwealth colonies tugged at me.
but it was the superb images of the US Columbians, Trans-Mississippi and Revenues (thank you, Revenuecollector)that
helped me decide to focus on US classics. In my estimation, the sheer graphic beauty and fine workmanship prior to 1930 helped
me determine to not continue to collect post 1930 -- at least until my early collection grows more substantial.

BTW -- if you are in the New York City or Long Island, NY area, I invite you to help launch a new stamp club
located in Syosset, Long Island. I was not able to find too many stamp clubs in my Long Island area.
So I have posted an online Meetup invitation for Nassau County Stamp Collectors.
But we will of course welcome anyone from the City or Westchester as well.
I am also inviting some dealers if they care to join us to make thing interesting.
Check out: http://www.meetup.com/Nassau-County...s/221043371/

Cheers,
Dan Carazo
Syosset, NY
Page: of 29 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2018 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.59 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05