Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Engraved Stamps - Take 2  

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 29
Valued Member
New Zealand
54 Posts
Posted 03/28/2010   11:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add RolyRJ to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And another nice recess print also from the NZ 1898 Pictorial Series.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
New Zealand
54 Posts
Posted 03/29/2010   12:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add RolyRJ to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And one mouth watering example of New Zealand's first foray into dual colour recess printing also from the 1898 series :)

Pillar Of The Community
United States
5691 Posts
Posted 03/29/2010   12:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Roly-

That is a stunning series that has some of my favorite NZ stamps. I can't think of a one that isn't gorgeous, with the possible exception of the Maori canoe, but then I've not seen one in the kind of condition you are showing, so I should reserve judgment. Your examples are pristine.
Valued Member
New Zealand
54 Posts
Posted 03/29/2010   12:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add RolyRJ to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The 1920 Peace Series is also stunning

I will scan a few later this eveing and post them for you :)
Valued Member
New Zealand
54 Posts
Posted 03/29/2010   12:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add RolyRJ to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here are the promised scans of the 1920 NZ Peace Series

Valued Member
New Zealand
54 Posts
Posted 03/29/2010   12:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add RolyRJ to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Valued Member
New Zealand
54 Posts
Posted 03/29/2010   12:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add RolyRJ to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Valued Member
New Zealand
54 Posts
Valued Member
New Zealand
54 Posts
Posted 03/29/2010   12:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add RolyRJ to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Valued Member
New Zealand
54 Posts
Posted 03/29/2010   12:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add RolyRJ to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
3383 Posts
Posted 03/29/2010   02:35 am  Show Profile Check KGV Collector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KGV Collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting stamps! Thanks to all for posting. Have enjoyed looking at them greatly.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
3547 Posts
Posted 03/29/2010   02:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tonymacg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Oh sorry Collin, I messed up a bit. The 1d,5d,6d,2s and 5s were printed by Waterlow as I am sure you know better than me. They are the only ones printed with the line perf, while all others were printed with comb (Bradbury and De La Rue). I heard some of the later Waterlow were done with comb, but never seen any. I do know the Elizabethan issue have comb and line, for those values changed to cents.

My ancient Commonwealth Five Reigns seems to suggest that the last De La Rue printings of the 3d (black & deep blue, 27/4/55) and the 1/- (black & deep turquoise-blue, 8/5/51) were comb perf 12.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
3547 Posts
Posted 03/29/2010   06:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tonymacg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've flogged this one to death elsewhere, but just in case someone hasn't yet seen this die proof of Hyderabad SG 1 ...

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
5699 Posts
Posted 03/29/2010   11:57 am  Show Profile Check BeeSee's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BeeSee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice stuff Roly - I like looking for tiny details, such as the ship in the 2d from the NZ 1898 Pictorial Series.
BeeSee in BC
"The Postmark is Mightier than the Stamp"
http://brcstamps.com ---- BNAPS, RPSC, APS
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
5699 Posts
Posted 06/18/2010   10:59 pm  Show Profile Check BeeSee's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BeeSee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have to add this, one of my favourites. The story is the Gilbert and Ellice Islands natives did not want British Royalty on their first stamps.

It shows a pandanus tree - the fruit is edible and the leaves are used to make mats and thatched roofs - one of the most important trees in Kiribati and Tuvalu (formerly Gilbert and Ellice).
BeeSee in BC
"The Postmark is Mightier than the Stamp"
http://brcstamps.com ---- BNAPS, RPSC, APS
Edited by BeeSee - 06/18/2010 11:01 pm
Page: of 29 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2018 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.77 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05