Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Engraved Stamps - Take 2  

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 29
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4373 Posts
Posted 11/02/2010   2:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a couple of close ups which shows more detail.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
5699 Posts
Posted 11/02/2010   4:19 pm  Show Profile Check BeeSee's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BeeSee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great scans, litho!
BeeSee in BC
"The Postmark is Mightier than the Stamp"
http://brcstamps.com ---- BNAPS, RPSC, APS
Pillar Of The Community
United States
519 Posts
Posted 11/02/2010   5:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Scouter to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I love engraved stamps, but obviously there is some knowledge I don't have as to various nuances such as engravers etc. Where does one acquire such detailed information?
Rest in Peace
Canada
6750 Posts
Posted 11/02/2010   6:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Puzzler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sweden Post online has a small write up about four engravers and a series on articles on how A Stamp Is Born at
http://www.posten.se/c/facts_engravers_piotr

Otherwise search for the name of the engraver, either on here on Google. There is lots of info out there.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4373 Posts
Posted 11/02/2010   7:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Scouter

It's interesting for me to find out which engraver produced this stamps or that one,or who were the printers, etc, etc. but it's not necessary in order to enjoy looking at them.

Below are a couple of interesting sites.

All about C. Slania who engraved hundreds of stamps and also banknotes for Sweden,Denmark,Poland and many other countries.
http://www.slaniastamps-heindorffhu...m/index.html

The next one is about Czechoslovakian designers & engravers.

http://www.batz-hausen.de/titel.htm
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4373 Posts
Posted 11/02/2010   7:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Austrian engravers had a real knack for producing head portraits.

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
1361 Posts
Posted 11/03/2010   04:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add AnthonyUK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
They're really nice Litho.

I don't know who created this one.

Edited by AnthonyUK - 11/03/2010 1:55 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
1361 Posts
Posted 11/03/2010   04:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add AnthonyUK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am looking for a copy of the book on Slania's life work - Lennart Bernadotte präsentiert das Lebenswerk von Czeslaw Slania. If anyone knows where I can purchase one for less than £100 I'll be grateful.
ISBN-10: 3930020122 or ISBN-13: 978-3930020126

Nice link to article on Czech engravers. Some of the stamps are stunning.
I am fortunate to have a few.

Edited by AnthonyUK - 11/03/2010 1:57 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
1361 Posts
Posted 11/03/2010   1:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add AnthonyUK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I had a delivery from an eBay auction.

Laos SG 385-387 - 99p

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4373 Posts
Posted 11/03/2010   2:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice ones Anthony, I particularly like the ones from Laos.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4373 Posts
Posted 11/03/2010   3:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes the Czechs have had some top notch engravers, certainly in my top 10 list.

Belgium is another country with beautiful engraved stamps but that can be expected from an area which produced a Van Dyke, a Rubens and so many more world renowned artists.

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4373 Posts
Posted 11/03/2010   3:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is another one from Belgium.

And a close up to see the fine detail.

Valued Member
United Kingdom
278 Posts
Posted 11/03/2010   5:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add David King to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Good to see the mention of Czech designers, Lithograving - I've always thought that Czech stamps were design classics - artistic, imaginative, effective. But then their second series of stamps (SG 3 to 60a, including the newspaper, postage due and express stamps) were designed by Mucha, one of the great Art Nouveau artists. There are some great stamps also showing famous designers in the act of designing / engraving - sorry, I am too busy this evening to track them down.

But for me the best series of engraved stamps are the Spanish Tourism series, pretty well every year from 1964 yo the 80's (eg SG 1602 ff) - true classics, with superb colour combinations, and also the Spain Artists series, starting with Goya in 1958 - for instance check the Velasquez Las Meninas 60c (1959, SG 1304). Sorry, again no time to scan in but worth a look at how to turn a brilliant painting into a little masterpiece.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
278 Posts
Posted 11/03/2010   5:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add David King to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Further to my last posting - I've realised I'm not sure that the Spain Artist series are litho - the later ones certainly aren't as they are multicolour, but the early ones are all two colours so I just assumed. I'll have to get my magnifying glass out!
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
1361 Posts
Posted 11/03/2010   5:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add AnthonyUK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Some from British Honduras - Are there any British Empire that are not nice though?

Page: of 29 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!Bid Online on Live auctions. Stamps, Coins, Fine Art, Jewelery, Collectibles, Antique, Furniture, Wines & Spirits, Collector Cars, Fashion.What's on your wall? Check out our handmade, screen printed stamp art. Perfect for your collector room, office and more. Buy online today!Genuine H.E. Harris products and quality postage stamps at www.whitman.com. POSTAGE STAMPS, STAMP ALBUMS & ANNUAL SUPPLEMENTS!Promoting the integrity of internet philatelic dealers. Please join us so buyers can buy with confidence.
New Forum TopicsRecently Active Forum Topics
  J100 missing 'D' in DOLLAR on lower left in position 90 both plates 34283 and 35282
  Filling another hole w/ Scott #317 Pair
  A neat cover to share
  A couple interesting covers
  Please change my avatar to this image
  3c 1851 Plating Help (probably plate 6-8), please
  Has Anyone Used Redpoint Auction Platform?
  1914 documentary with forged Narcotic overprints
  Is this a tab of a postal stamp?
  USS Brooklyn Photo Cachet
  Could not find this one in StampWorld
  eBay's answer to Prime Day - $25 Off $119+ Today
  Saudi Arabia - Hejaz overprint 1920's
  Info for this stamp?
  finding all Scott numbers for a single illustration
  Cover and Invitation From His Excellency
  Cartel 241 Cert Shenanigans
  NFLD Scott 262 - Boy do I ever need your guys opinion
  US Stamp Give-Away (July 2018, #2)
  American Prisoner in London 1777
  Dennison hinges, package for sale
  Stamp Mount Sizing Gauge
  Scott 687 - Looking for a possible 2nd oddity.
  Scott 720 color variance
  My Delcampe Store Re-Opened. 4,000 cover lots listed at $1.99 ea.

Scott - Michel Conversion Charts
  Is this a tab of a postal stamp?
  What Did You Do Philatelically: Today or Recently?
  U.S. Scott 245 and Scott 293 Dealers
  J100 missing 'D' in DOLLAR on lower left in position 90 both plates 34283 and 35282
  What does it take to use postage stamps?
  1914 documentary with forged Narcotic overprints
  Saudi Arabia - Hejaz overprint 1920's
  Could not find this one in StampWorld
  Image Recognition & Stamp Identification
  Filling another hole w/ Scott #317 Pair
  3c 1851 Plating Help (probably plate 6-8), please
  1c 1851 Plate 1-Late Stamps
  Has Anyone Used Redpoint Auction Platform?
  Cartel 241 Cert Shenanigans
  A neat cover to share
  Never seen a cover like this one.
  My first APS stampshow
  finding all Scott numbers for a single illustration
  Norway Land of the Norge
  Canada stamp giveaway
  US Stamp Give-Away (July 2018, #2)
  Latin Species Names For Plants & Animals
  A couple interesting covers
  Seeking advice from those crazy WW collectors

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.73 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05