Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Engraved Stamps - Take 2  

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 29
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
737 Posts
Posted 11/05/2010   04:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ryan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Thanks Ryan,
Would you be willing to say how much you paid?
There is a signed copy of the Bernadotte book on eBay at the moment but it is too expensive for me.

I think it was £52 plus shipping from Britain to Canada. Seemed reasonable to me, I had set the sniper to bid at £80+.

Ryan
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
1361 Posts
Posted 11/05/2010   04:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add AnthonyUK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Damn, too late to get it blocked at customs

Good price though considering the shipping too.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5700 Posts
Posted 11/06/2010   11:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Belgium contributes some good-looking engraved stamps.

A German occupation overprint:

Pillar Of The Community
United States
5700 Posts
Posted 11/06/2010   12:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Something happened to that 4-franc parcel stamp...not very impressive at all...the preview looked fine.

I'll try the 5-franc...

Pillar Of The Community
United States
5700 Posts
Posted 11/06/2010   12:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
China, issued for the first anniversary of the emperor's reign, the high value of a set of three sharing the same design...

A nice job by Waterlow.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
5699 Posts
Posted 11/06/2010   1:09 pm  Show Profile Check BeeSee's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BeeSee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
China (P.R.)1963 Yellow Mountain (Huangshan) from a set of 16. Beautiful engraving litho combo.

BeeSee in BC
"The Postmark is Mightier than the Stamp"
http://brcstamps.com ---- BNAPS, RPSC, APS
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4406 Posts
Posted 11/06/2010   4:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I like those Chinese ones BeeSee. Actually the PRC has issued some very well designed stamps and excellent printing too.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4406 Posts
Posted 11/06/2010   9:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Now that my scanner is working OK again here are a few from Austria.

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4406 Posts
Posted 11/06/2010   9:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This Unofficial SS shows reprints of 3 values from the 1922 composer set.
The Austrian State Printers produced it using the original plates but different colours.
The engraver was Prof F. Schirnböck who also engraved the Bosnia & Herzegovina landscape stamps of 1906.

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
24152 Posts
Posted 11/06/2010   9:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

There is debate whether Collin's "7c Temple of heaven"
was engraved by the American L J Hatch.
I have seen a banknote of Polk by Hatch, anyone aware
of any American postage stamp engraved by L J Hatch?
Thanks
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
1361 Posts
Posted 11/08/2010   03:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add AnthonyUK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A rather nice example from China

Edited by AnthonyUK - 11/08/2010 03:32 am
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
1361 Posts
Posted 11/08/2010   03:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add AnthonyUK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A lovely portrait from US of Albert Einstein

Edited by AnthonyUK - 11/08/2010 03:35 am
Valued Member
United States
373 Posts
Posted 11/08/2010   3:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Donna Merkle to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's an interesting article on engravers of stamps. It includes Machin and Slavia. I didn't know that Paul McCartney was a designer. He did a set of stamps as well. The rest of the site isn't bad either. Nice article on the history of the stamps.

http://www.allaboutstamps.net/designers/index.html

Donna
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4406 Posts
Posted 11/08/2010   3:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There is some good stuff there Donna, thanks.
I always like new info about stamp designers & engravers since there isn't much available.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
24152 Posts
Posted 11/08/2010   5:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I didn't know that Paul McCartney was a designer.

Paul notates his hobbies as.."Vicars" and "Stamp collecting"

Page: of 29 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2018 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.76 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05