Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Sorting Through A Box Of Old Canadian Stamps And Find!!!

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 561Next Topic  
Valued Member
Canada
153 Posts
Posted 12/01/2020   9:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Trodent to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
The Major Re-entry on the Canada 85.

The Shilling Mark variety on the Canada 1 cent Green Admiral.

It was a Great Weekend

Trodent
Send note to Staff
Edited by Trodent - 12/01/2020 9:51 pm

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
30748 Posts
Posted 12/01/2020   9:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The Shilling Mark variety

Took a while, then the penny dropped.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
7420 Posts
Posted 12/01/2020   10:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
wow Trodent

What a great find on that 85 Map stamp..
I have one, but yours is so much better..
wait-a-go buddy.

Robert
Valued Member
493 Posts
Posted 12/03/2020   2:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stamps101 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Agreed - map stamp is nice.

Not sure the admiral is the shilling. The one I have seen is a considerably thicker dot. It's possible it could be an early variety such as on the weeping princess (SC 211i) where there were earlier states of the plate issue and the teardrop grew (sorry for my terminology - just recall an article I think I saw in BNAPS about the princess one).
If I had to guess, though, it is an ink pull, especially as other areas show a similar pull in the same direction. It just happens to be where the shilling mark is. I will let others weigh in but I fear it is not the variety in question.
Edited by stamps101 - 12/03/2020 2:17 pm
Pillar Of The Community
7420 Posts
Posted 12/03/2020   3:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
http://goscf.com/t/48715

stamps101....Check this link out..Go to bottom.

Robert
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1777 Posts
Posted 12/03/2020   4:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The shilling mark does like look an earlier state than the one illustrated in Unitrade. Likewise, the thicker flaw seen in the Unitrade image is much closer to the "1." Possibly not the same flaw.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1777 Posts
Posted 12/03/2020   4:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
P.S.

Wert's precancelled stamp in the thread he posted the link to seems like an even earlier state of the flaw seen on Trodent's example.
Valued Member
493 Posts
Posted 12/03/2020   5:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stamps101 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Looking more closely at the actual shilling mark flaw, there appears to be a disruption on the top frame line of the numeral box to the left of the shilling mark. Neither example here (which I am increasingly convinced is merely ink pull) or the example in the linked thread has this. That said, the photo on the linked thread from Unitrade is quite small. Perhaps Michael (watermark) or someone else has an example they can scan in to see closer about the frameline.

I believe these are just coincidental ink printing anomalies but unrelated to the shilling mark. I welcome alternate opinions but I would venture that the hunt for the variety should continue :)
Pillar Of The Community
7420 Posts
Posted 12/03/2020   6:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
stamps101..You got some thing..Could be the start of the "shilling mark" from he other post....Applied lines to see if they line up..Maybe the start of the mark.

Robert

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
30748 Posts
Posted 12/04/2020   12:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
.Applied lines to see if they line up.

Would this not be an ideal time to employ that doohickey guage,
mark locator that we have seen in the Perf Guage thread?
I'd like to see that in action.

Edited by rod222 - 12/04/2020 12:01 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2571 Posts
Posted 12/04/2020   07:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Would this not be an ideal time to employ that doohickey guage,

The Thirkell Position Finder?

http://goscf.com/t/45461

Edited by littleriverphil - 12/04/2020 12:17 pm
Pillar Of The Community
7420 Posts
Posted 12/04/2020   10:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
rod222
Yes it would be a nice position gauge for collectors...BUT, how many out there have one...???

Here is my position gauge below..

Not every one has access to one...Would it be better to continue the normal example of what to look for..??
Like below, then every collector can see and understand the position.

Robert
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
30748 Posts
Posted 12/04/2020   1:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The Thirkell Position Finder?

Thanks Phil.

Quote:
Yes it would be a nice position gauge for collectors...BUT, how many out there have one...???

That shouldn't matter, encourage philatelic use, broadcast use,
they are made for a reason.
You may offer two methods if is important to you.
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 561Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.26 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05