Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Ben Franklin Green 1 Cent

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 331Next Topic  
Valued Member

16 Posts
Posted 12/02/2020   11:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add vmx120 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have been reading posts to evaluate my 1 cent franklins. I read a post that ststed an accurate method of perf comparison was to align it with a 3 cent presidential. I took my 3 cent perf 11 lincoln and this is what I got. What do I have?

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
7149 Posts
Posted 12/02/2020   12:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The 3 cent Presidential would be from the 1938 Prexie series. They all measure 11 x 10.5

Peter
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
16 Posts
Posted 12/02/2020   1:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add vmx120 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Peter. Thank you for your reply. So, how should I interpret my stamp gauge since the Lincoln and Franklins measure 11 x 11.25 or should I just pitch the guide. I have 1285 stamps from all over. Is there any one stamp that is a definitive 11 x 11 that I can use for comparison? Thanks Again
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6150 Posts
Posted 12/02/2020   2:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Any of the 4th Bureau flat plate printings are 11 X 11. The Stamps you show are from the 4th Bureau issue. They are either 11 X 10˝ (Rotary Press) or 11 X 11 (Flat Plate or Rotary press coil waste ).
Valued Member
United States
265 Posts
Posted 12/02/2020   4:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Germania to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
vmx120, both of your stamps are 11 x 10.5, therefore rotary press. Compare the horizontal perfs of the 3 cent to the vertical perfs of the 1 cent and you will see a difference.
Valued Member
16 Posts
Posted 12/02/2020   5:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add vmx120 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank You Germania. That was driving me crazy. I must have measured that stamp 50 times. Good information I appreciate it.
Pillar Of The Community
3226 Posts
Posted 12/02/2020   6:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
vmx120,

I think you may have seen a another thread with one of my posts about using a Prexie stamp as a gauge for other stamp issues, so let me elaborate a few points to clarify and illustrate.

1. A perforation gauge is one of the most basic tools for any collector. It will make your journey through the hobby much more rewarding if you obtain a good one and learn how to use it correctly. Otherwise ...

2. The "Fourth Bureau" issue is the definitive series in use from 1923-1938. I did not know the term "Fourth Bureau" as a beginner, so I thought should make that clear here from the start since it is not necessarily obvious. This issue comes with several perforation rates, printing methods (flat & rotary), and in sheet/booklet/coil formats. Thus a perforation gauge is one valuable tool for differentiating them. Fortunately, there are no watermarks to contend with in this series. Here are two stamps which match your two:

(The point being that your 3 cent stamp is not a "Prexie" issue.)

3. The "Prexies" are the definitive series in use beginning in 1938, featuring (mostly) the US Presidents. The sheet versions of all values up to the 50 cent are all perf 11x10.5, here are the lowest values:

4. The point of another thread to which I think you are referring was in the absence of a perforation gauge, a stamp of known gauge can be used in place of a perforation gauge. In this case, aligning the long side of the 2 cent Prexie (known to be 10.5) against the unknown 4th Bureau issue shows a match with both the 1 cent and the 3 cent stamps. Thus they can only be #632 and #635, just like yours. The top perforations of all 3 stamps in this post will be perf 11.

If the long sides did not align with the Prexie stamp as perf 10.5, then the Fourth Bureau stamp must be something else. I could use the top of the Prexie (known to be perf 11) against the long side of the Fourth Bureau to test for that match, etc.

5. "11.25", the listed perforation rates in the catalogs are rounded off slightly to the nearest half, thus 11x11. Don't get too caught up in the measurement being off by a tenth. You will not truly get exactly 10 or 10.5 or 11.

Still, get a perforation gauge and become adept at using it.

I hope this made it clearer.
Valued Member
16 Posts
Posted 12/02/2020   8:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add vmx120 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
John, Thank You for that information. It is most valuable. I took one of my 2 cent Adams and sure enough lined up like a champ. You people are great Thank you for your help.
Learn More...
8769 Posts
Posted 12/02/2020   9:03 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You learn about your stamps here https://stampsmarter.org/1847usa/1847Home.html
Don
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 331Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05