Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

The "Easy Way" US Stamp Identifier

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 512Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...

United States
689 Posts
Posted 12/02/2020   1:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Moyock13 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
So, I bought this interesting gadget from an auction house in Argentina.

But that's not the interesting part. When mailed in Argentina, it found it's way to Paraguay and then into the hands of US Customs officials. Who opened and inspected the contents. Or as the back of the cover shows, there was a tear. Maybe the US Custom folks inspected for damage....maybe? Interesting none the less.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
7325 Posts
Posted 12/02/2020   1:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Anything you order from outside the US goes through Homeland Security. Complements of 9-11

Peter
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
689 Posts
Posted 12/02/2020   1:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Moyock13 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Never had them inspect anything before. Let alone open the package. Could it just be a random inspection?
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31650 Posts
Posted 12/02/2020   6:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Could it just be a random inspection?

May well be, mine are constantly checked into Australia from North America, perhaps 1 in 5?
Interest may have come from a scan, or an alert from man's best friend.
But mostly random.

Interesting Gadget.
Learn More...
9131 Posts
Posted 12/02/2020   6:32 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I posted the same gauge in this thread http://goscf.com/t/73141#649482
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
689 Posts
Posted 12/02/2020   6:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Moyock13 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Don. Went to the link you provided, but your graphic didn't load. Might be me, but all other pictures in the thread loaded.
Learn More...
9131 Posts
Posted 12/02/2020   7:56 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Fixed (link was pointing to the original http address, stupid https does not like having 'mixed' http and https addresses on the same page...grrr).
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
689 Posts
Posted 12/02/2020   8:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Moyock13 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Don. I can see your gadget now....! Boy, that didn't sound good!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1814 Posts
Posted 12/02/2020   9:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting post and story, Moyock13!

For me it was nostalgic, too! I owned that red stamp identifier gadget as a child when I first started collecting stamps.
Valued Member
17 Posts
Posted 12/04/2020   06:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Gozoom42026 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi new here I'm John or graphic I was wondering if that is a sort of wonder all device that's good for all stamps or just reds I'm curious none the least?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
689 Posts
Posted 12/04/2020   07:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Moyock13 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome aboard GoZoom.

At the time of copyright (1936) this tool covered Washington/Franklin and portrait type regular issue stamps from 1908-1932. Printing on the stamp identifier explains it's purpose and intended usage.

I personally have not used this tool to identify stamps. I've recently found interest in collecting stamp gadgets and perf gauges.
Edited by Moyock13 - 12/04/2020 07:22 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31650 Posts
Posted 12/04/2020   2:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I can see your gadget now....! Boy, that didn't sound good!

I nearly spilt my coffee over that one !
It's good to start the day with a hearty laugh !

Valued Member
36 Posts
Posted 12/04/2020   3:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tsmatx to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That is a very cool philatelic gadget which I have never seen before and I'd be interested in seeing it in action. I could not help but notice it cost ~1000 Argentine pesos (USD $12.50) just to ship -- and I see one on eBay for around that price including shipping (although not in as good condition as this one)

Perhaps that is why it caught US Customs attention

Incidentally, I have also received mail torn apart and searched by US Customs, including really innocuous shipments like small assortments of stamps from Canada

Valued Member
17 Posts
Posted 12/04/2020   5:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Gozoom42026 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well that really sounds handy in a time like today in a life like mine too many presidents and too little knowledge of.

Thanks for the info I'm going to search one for sale and see if I can obtain one myself here shortly it's needed in this double inherited collection I'm going through . If anyone's interested I'm posting more presedents and unopened and opened letters and encelopes today and moving into the mint condition parts of my collections of world wide everything, more than welcomed to attend.

I know not too much of this hobby and love to hear your opinions or helping thoughts.
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 512Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.58 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05