Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Wavy Line Cancels And Value

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Replies: 14 / Views: 522Next Topic  
Valued Member

16 Posts
Posted 12/03/2020   6:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add vmx120 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
do the wavy line type cancel affect the value of a stamp? It is considered used if the rest of the stamp is in good condition?

Thanks
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1781 Posts
Posted 12/03/2020   6:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Do you have an example you can upload to illustrate your question?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
30771 Posts
Posted 12/03/2020   6:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Personal hiearchy:
5th in line

1.Mint
2. used SON CDS (socked on the nose) (Circular date stamp)
3.used tiny fragment CDS at corner
4. Part CDS
5. Wavy Line (Machine cancel)
6. smudgy dark Pmk (space filler)

Valued Member
16 Posts
Posted 12/03/2020   7:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add vmx120 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is the example. I have a bunch of these.

Thanks

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3639 Posts
Posted 12/03/2020   9:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Common. No added value.
Valued Member
16 Posts
Posted 12/04/2020   07:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add vmx120 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks. Rod222 "socked on nose"? that is hilarious. By any chance would you post an image of all of these so I can print them out and put it in my reference material? Otherwise, would you consider this stamp as "used" Thanks Again
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
30771 Posts
Posted 12/04/2020   2:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
. By any chance would you post an image of all of these so I can print them out

I'll give it a shot, no guarantees.
TIP: I think Scott has stamp appraisals in the front Preamble.
that show classifications.
my personal opinion......
Basically, a Stamp is MINT as it comes fresh from the perforator, and distributed to Post Offices.
If, by some circumstance, the mucilage (gum) is affected in any way, heat, hinge, fingerprint, moisture.
Then it is MINT hinged or MINT disturbed gum.
Then if it is issued with gum, but missing (soaked) then all lower hierachy is "used" no matter what.

Your stamp is definitely used, but nice perf teeth, clean,
I would certainly use, or until a mint stamp comes into possession.

TIP: Search this forum for SON or "socked on the nose"
Edited by rod222 - 12/04/2020 2:08 pm
Valued Member
16 Posts
Posted 12/04/2020   3:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add vmx120 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you, I dont have a Scotts guide, but I am sure somewhere o there is a publication on how to grade them. I'll have to check stampsmarter. Well, have a good day, night, whatever it is in Australia right now. I believe somewhere in my mess I have some Australian stamps. I'll post them when I find them.
Valued Member
138 Posts
Posted 12/05/2020   11:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Perf10 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
to that list I'd add

7) pen cancel
8) "marker monkey" cancel
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
82 Posts
Posted 12/06/2020   12:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add OzwaldO to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And my least favorite #9) no cancel at all!
Valued Member
United States
10 Posts
Posted 01/04/2021   4:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coversRfun2 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
(for rod222)

You wrote "Your stamp is definitely used, but nice perf teeth, clean,
I would certainly use, or until a mint stamp comes into possession."

Translation of "I would certainly use," = "I would certainly place in my used stamps collection,"
NOT Translation = "I would certainly use if I needed to add a 3c stamp on my mailing,"

(laugh, laugh) one of the most interesting inside language use (no pun intended)!
Lesson - for a less experienced questioner try to be more careful with words and avoid lingo unless explained if you're sharing lingo for fun.

I do agree with you, the Hamilton stamp shown is a very nicely cancelled specimen for someone's USED collection.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
30771 Posts
Posted 01/04/2021   5:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Lesson - for a less experienced questioner try to be more careful with words and avoid lingo unless explained if you're sharing lingo for fun.

...and you use your kids Acronym Lingo as the teacher
Mixed messages
ToysRus sigh.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7155 Posts
Posted Yesterday   11:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Killamikep, please use English

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1781 Posts
Posted Yesterday   11:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Killa seems to be posting frequent nonsense so he can get to 50 posts.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4953 Posts
Posted Yesterday   1:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Or, the medication is not working.
  Replies: 14 / Views: 522Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 38.33 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05