Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Need Reference Points For Turkish Newspaper Stamps

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 265Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community

United States
5057 Posts
Posted 12/04/2020   06:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add floortrader to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Need to understand these stamps and why they were pulled from Scott catalog ?
Send note to Staff

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
30800 Posts
Posted 12/04/2020   2:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Floortrader.
My Scott 2017 misses only P15 to P24 (and P35)
Perhaps a restructure?
I have not looked into it at any depth as yet.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by rod222 - 12/04/2020 2:21 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
522 Posts
Posted 12/04/2020   4:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add billsey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Paul, I need better scans of the stamps, not overlapped and small. At first glance all except the last row look to be the common forged overprints. You really need Pulhan and ISFILA to use as a reference for these, although P25 to P29 are much easier than P10-P14. Scott has revamped them several times between overprint colors...
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5057 Posts
Posted 12/05/2020   08:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Bill , I will look what those catalogs have ,agree with you that most likely they are forgeries ,but what gives me some doubt is all the other stuff that was in the notebook . So maybe a trip up to the Match Factory is needed .

I got a list of other stuff to research at the APSRL , The main reason to make the trip up to State College is wanting to read the Auction Catalogs for the Philippe Ferrari Collection ,I never seen a good explanation of what he had .
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
623 Posts
Posted 12/05/2020   1:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EMaxim to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Like Rod's, my older Scott omits only P15-24, as well as P35, adding that "counterfeit overprints comprise most of the examples offered for sale in the marketplace."

The reason for the apparently growing list of omissions could be something similar to what Scott says about P2-9. Those had, it seems, a different "Imprimé" overprint, but Scott says many examples were "prepared on private order" and P2-9 therefore "have no official status as newspaper stamps."

For the overprint shown in Floortrader's post, my copy of Michel (also not the most recent) lists five values for 1891: the same that Scott lists as P10-14. The same for 1892: P25-9. Michel adds the same warning about counterfeits and unauthorized, in fact "illegal," overprints of this type.

For more info Michel suggests P.E. Engler's essay in Türkei-Speigel 2 & 3 (1988), as well as the October 1988 edition of Arbeitsgemeinschaft Osmanisches Reich/Türkei (AROS). http://arosturk.org/aos.htm ( And good luck with that! )

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
30800 Posts
Posted 12/05/2020   1:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
At first glance all except the last row look to be the common forged overprints.

I have read isfila, Andreas Birkin, ONEPS et al
I remain absolutely unconvinced in any ability to ID these fellows.

They are vastly expensive, if genuine, and abound in forgeries.
My only route to date, was to leave them well alone.
I know when I am beaten, esp if I have to risk money in purchase.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
522 Posts
Posted 12/05/2020   4:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add billsey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Any I've put in my collection have been ones I purchased from ISFILA directly. I have their certs on them, so can be comfortable in the providence... But those that Paul shows are the toughest to tell, both because they are listed with the different colors, even though Scott doesn't like then colored, but because they don't show the distinctive weak side the later ones have. They were handstamped differently. My guess is these were stamped as needed by several entities and the ones on the 1892 set were done by hand by a single, right handed, person.
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 265Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 10.02 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05