Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Armenia 1923 Cover With Pictorial Issue Stamps - A Fake Or A Rare Cover?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 435Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community

Croatia (Local Name: Hrvatska)
1085 Posts
Posted 12/05/2020   12:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add filipo to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Any comments about this cover? Most of Armenian covers from that period are fakes, and a big chance is that one is a fake, too... especially because I don't understand the franking... 35 K on 20000 has been used postally, but other 2 stamps never have been used... are they supposed to be a "poster stamps" on this cover - added on purpose and cancelled accidentaly?

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
2878 Posts
Posted 12/05/2020   07:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
looks genuine to me. Sent by Bodil Biørn.The 100 & 20.000 are fairly common on cover...
https://armenianweekly.com/2020/07/...e-armenians/
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by perf12 - 12/05/2020 07:52 am
Pillar Of The Community
1085 Posts
Posted 12/05/2020   5:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add filipo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you very much for your reply, perf12, and for the historical background.

I am not familiar too much with Armenian stamps (except those one which I have found in old lots - probably fakes), but what is confuse me with this cover is:

100 R and 500 R from 1921. are stamps which have never been issued and never been used... what is their purpose on this cover? Or I have missed something in the catalogs (checked both Michel and Scott).

20.000 R stamp have been surcharged with 35 (K) in black in 1922, and also with another violet "K" over 5 in 1923. so, this stamp on this cover is 3 K on 35 (K) on 20.000 R issue from January 1923... an that is a correct used stamp on this cover... and what is a purpose of 100 R and 500 R which have never been used, and especially not in 1923.? Or there is also some surcharge on them, too, which I can't see (I am color blind, partially)? Or the sender just have them and added to the valid stamp to make the cover nicer?
Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
2878 Posts
Posted 12/05/2020   5:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Check the Gallery for some pics with the 100 and overprinted '35'.
The 500 stamp has the second basic variation in the lower left corner;small downward line.She might of just put the 500 stamp on as a souvenir.These were troubled times in Armenia in the early 1920's.
Also all the cancels are from the same canceller.The '2' has the genuine form in the upper curl which is like a circle when the cancel strike is clear.

https://stampsofarmenia.com/?page_id=1660
Edited by perf12 - 12/06/2020 03:50 am
Pillar Of The Community
1085 Posts
Posted 12/05/2020   6:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add filipo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks again, perf12... I can see that there is a contact e-mail on the page you have linked, so, maybe Stefan will be happy to take a look and tell his opinion... if he will write me back, I will copy his reply on this page, too, so that we have a complete story on the forum.
Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
2878 Posts
Posted 12/06/2020   03:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Good idea.
Pillar Of The Community
1085 Posts
Posted 12/06/2020   9:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add filipo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I got a kind and a very helpful reply from Mr. Berger... he has also noticed a small "10" surcharge on the 500 in the left upper corner ("1" if visible just left to the "5" exactly)... also, just above the 500 R stamp is a Moscow transit postmark... 100 R stamp probably also have a surcharge, but it is probably so small and "lost" in the postmark/cancel... probably even faded... so, as Mr. Perf12 suggested, this is most probably a genuine cover with a nice selection of stamps and a very interesting historical background.
Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
2878 Posts
Posted 12/07/2020   07:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That's great news. Did he say if the cover is rare with those stamps and additional handstamps ?
Pillar Of The Community
1085 Posts
Posted 12/10/2020   08:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add filipo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am sorry, Perf12, I have missed your further question. I didn't discuss with Mr. Berger about rarity of this cover, but I am sure that I have never had such cover (with Armenian period) in my hands... nor I will have in the future... so, I am pretty sure that it is rare. Mr. Berger is also a BPP expert, and he offered me to make a certificate - a photo attest for this cover... and I am looking forward to send it to him to obtained that attest... just need to find out a technical details e.g how to send him a cover - registered or via courier (declared value with inusrance is not available for neither of them).
Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
2878 Posts
Posted 12/10/2020   12:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thats great. With the virus:mail from eastern europe is very slow.The best way would be by federal express too and from.Of course it depends on how much you want to spend.
Edited by perf12 - 12/11/2020 06:43 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1032 Posts
Posted 12/10/2020   12:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
FedEx is pretty amazing. Monday morning I got a parcel from Japan via FedEx International Priority. 37 hours, 31 minutes from pickup in Yokohama to delivery in Berkeley, California.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
662 Posts
Posted 12/11/2020   09:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A wonderful cover - thanks for sharing.
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 435Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05