Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Is The Hottest Country To Collect ?

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 1,576Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community

United States
5173 Posts
Posted 12/05/2020   6:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add floortrader to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I couldn't find the right words to describe the activity we saw today for country collections and bulk lots today for one country.

Now this isn't for some rare pre-1900's stamps . We are not talking about some rare issues of upside down printed issue .

We are not talking about mail carried by Gengis Khan postal carriers taking mail back home .We are talking about what I call WALLPAPER ,YES ,flowers,birds,cars and sport stamps .

What I made up as country lots selling yesterday for 4 cents apiece ,will now be a dollar apiece .

Welcome to MONGOLIA stamps .
Send note to Staff

Learn More...
9131 Posts
Posted 12/05/2020   6:42 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Burkina Faso is the hottest country in the world. The average yearly temperature is 82.85F (28.25C).
Don
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5173 Posts
Posted 12/05/2020   6:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don -This is a STAMP chat board not the weather channel !!!

Rumor on this board is you just sunk all your pension funds into Mongolia stamps at Kelleher Auctions.
Valued Member
Learn More...
437 Posts
Posted 12/05/2020   7:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StateRevs to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Burkina Faso is the hottest country in the world.

Burkina Faso Scott 1200 is the one and only stamp I have got added to a Scott catalog.

I was stationed at Dyess AFB and went to the post office to check my box and there was an empty envelope sitting on the counter top. Looked at the weird stamp and brought it home with me. Couldn't find it in my old set of Scott catalogs and so emailed Scott. They asked to see the cover so I mailed it to them and viola, Scott 1200.

I don't collect WW so sold it off on eBay years later with the listing letter from Scott.

1200 is the baobob stamp, not the crocagator.

Valued Member
United States
253 Posts
Posted 12/05/2020   7:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StatesmanStamper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Should I be considering putting my meager Mongolian holdings up for sale? They are such colorful slips of paper.

Dale
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31650 Posts
Posted 12/05/2020   8:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Burkina Faso Scott 1200 is the one and only stamp I have got added to a Scott catalog.

Nice story, enjoyed that.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2542 Posts
Posted 12/06/2020   08:39 am  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"Burkina Faso Scott 1200 is the one and only stamp I have got added to a Scott catalog."

Sometime in the last 10 years I found an African stamp that should be listed in Scott but isn't for a silly reason. I forge which country (Burundi?) and everything is in boxes until I find a new apt. There was a butterflies set of 4 values in pairs that was overprinted with new values. Scott only lists one or two of the overprint pairs. I found a used copy of a single of one of the other pairs. They refused to list it because as a single it would have a minor letter and not a major number and they had never seen a pair and would not list the minor letter without the major number.
Edited by eyeonwall - 12/06/2020 11:34 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1539 Posts
Posted 12/07/2020   11:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Climber Steve to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In early April, 2016, several friends and I paid a visit to Paraguay to climb the country's high point. On April 4, it was 100 degrees F in Asuncion and humidity was in the 90s. That's both hot and oppressive. But we made the summit, around 840 meters, located in some high hills near the border with Brazil.

I mention this since I had a nice show & tell last winter after I joined our local Mexico-Latin America stamp club. I showed my copy of Paraguay Scott #319, from 1931, that shows the river gunboat "Humaita." Part 2 was the photo I took of the "Humaita," anchored on the Asuncion riverfront, 85 years later.
Edited by Climber Steve - 12/07/2020 11:29 am
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
139 Posts
Posted 12/07/2020   3:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add RK1468 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting discussion. So on the other side of the coin, what countries are of least interest? I have heard United Nations and Israel mentioned before in this context. Thoughts?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
655 Posts
Posted 12/07/2020   3:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
RK1468, I would agree on both. Can we call the UN a country, though? Which raises another topic - how many non-country countries are stamp issuing entities? I guess I mean countries that are universally (unanimously??) considered non-countries. In my scenario, Taiwan WOULD qualify - some countries consider Taiwan to be a country (at least I think so).
Learn More...
9131 Posts
Posted 12/07/2020   3:47 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have never seen any consensus of 'stamp issuing entities' and it is typically a hotly debated topic. In my opinion there is virtual no chance of ever getting folks to agree on the list of 'stamp issuing entities' since someone always seems to pull exceptions out of the complex history of mankind.
Don
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
139 Posts
Posted 12/07/2020   7:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add RK1468 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Mootermutt and Don for sending me down into the rabbit hole of "stamp-issuing entities." Interesting set of definitional issues.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
655 Posts
Posted 12/07/2020   8:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am sorry - I didn't mean to hijack this thread by going so far off topic. Still, lots of interesting (albeit off-topic) subjects are implied here!

Hot? Well, I guess Mongolia is the country du jour, at least according to the results of the recent Kelleher sale. I can only imagine that is an EXTREMELY short-lived blip. Time will tell, though. China has been hot (-ish) for a few decades --- I see its activity ebb and flow, depending on the Chinese economy (at least that's what I THINK drives the swings in pricing).

I have seen a number of Sand Dune countries become something lately. Like Abu Dhabi, Bahrain, Qatar, Ras al Khaima, etc. In the 60's and 70's, when I started collecting, these countries' stamps were garbage. Pretty. But garbage. Now that their economies have matured, I think their 'nouveau-riche' are creating demand. Do you know how many $50+ post-British sets there are now from Qatar, for example? And many (most?) of them are italicized in Scott. As their economies further mature, and diversify away from petro-dollars, we may very well see demand ramp up further. Wish I could be around 50 years from now to gloat over my prediction!!!!

It would not surprise me to see some Latin American countries heat up over the next couple decades - Mexico, Brazil, Argentina - but this is only a wild guess. Your wild guess is as good as mine.
Learn More...
9131 Posts
Posted 12/07/2020   9:22 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I find parts of this thread sad. It reflects some of the biases that have hung over our hobby for years.

My opinion is that philately should embrace all collectors. It is not healthy for our hobby to be divisive by classifying some types of collecting 'lower' than other. Why should postal history or exhibiting be considered somehow better than collecting Mongolia?

When I sit with someone who is truly enthusiastic about what they collect, and is excited to tell me about what they collect, I could care less what they specifically collect. I listen and hope to learn from them. Even if what they collect is not my area of interest, I find myself drawn into their passion and become hopeful for the future of philately.

Of course there is always room for discussion about countries issuing 'collector stamps' and I support those who choose to not collect them; I have avoid them myself since the 1970s. I also do not fly spec. I also do not collect perfins or precancels. And does anyone care? Of course not, these are just my own preferences. I see no reason why I should declare these collecting areas as being unworthy of someone else's interest.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1882 Posts
Posted 12/07/2020   9:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Malaya is still hot, especially for never hinged material. There is still a lot of competition for the better Thailand sets from 1951 on. Anything never hinged before 1951 will get high premiums if auctioned. Korea and Japan were also very high at times in the past 15 years- not sure if they are still very active with rising prices?
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31650 Posts
Posted 12/07/2020   9:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I find parts of this thread sad. It reflects some of the biases that have hung over our hobby for years.

My opinion is that philately should embrace all collectors. It is not healthy for our hobby to be divisive by classifying some types of collecting 'lower' than other. Why should postal history or exhibiting be considered somehow better than collecting Mongolia?

What a delightful breath of fresh air.
Long may you remain here, Don.
I have saved that post.

Edited by rod222 - 12/07/2020 10:00 pm
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 1,576Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 2.25 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05