Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Today's Kelleher Collections & Large Lots Sale

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 24 / Views: 1,141Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
United States
531 Posts
Posted 12/05/2020   6:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add mootermutt987 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I was interested in some Lebanon and Saudi lots late in today's Kelleher sale. In between countries, I just watched in amazement as the Mongolia lots all sold for MANY multiples of Estimate. Lot 338, in particular, (1950's-2005, MNH stock) sold for $80K (+BP) compared to an estimate of $2000-$2500. Blew my mind! What was in there that's worth a house??? Me thinks Kelleher has no idea what Mongolia material is worth. Either that, or the last two bidders were overseas bidders and TOTALLY screwed up the exchange rate - like misplaced the decimal point.

For those keeping score, I was shut out of what I was interested in.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5408 Posts
Posted 12/05/2020   7:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
oligarch?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1790 Posts
Posted 12/05/2020   7:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I cannot imagine how ANYTHING from Mongolia covering the past 60 years could be worth $80K, unless it was an ungodly amount of duplicated stock. And in that case, who wants that much of such a mediocre country??
Pillar Of The Community
United States
713 Posts
Posted 12/05/2020   8:03 pm  Show Profile Check docgfd's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add docgfd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It wasn't that duplicated (from the description):

"...most items present in quantities of one to ten each, with the run of issues very comprehensive;"
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5408 Posts
Posted 12/05/2020   8:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The nine Mongolia lots went for $183,750 + $36,750 (BP) for a total of $220,500. Obviously it was more than one bidder to get to those numbers. It is a total headscratcher. Fitting for 2020.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5067 Posts
Posted 12/05/2020   8:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You can read my comment in the Main Discussion section ......

MOOT ------I was bidding on that Lebanon lot ,but it got away from me and ran up . I got the Libya lot ,it was the best of everything else I was looking at . You have to say MidEast is a hot commodity at this auction .
Edited by floortrader - 12/05/2020 8:48 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
531 Posts
Posted 12/05/2020   9:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
floortrader - yes, all kinds of Middle East is hot these days. I've collected Lebanon and Saudi for years - since long before there was much competition. I have seen interest in Lebanon ratchet up lately, but KSA has remained relatively quiet (well, except for today), but the (historically...) sand dunes are hotter than hot. I bought a complete Qatar collection (well, complete to 1975 anyway) about a year ago, but based on this year's craziness, I could probably triple my money. Abu Dhabi, Bahrain, Ras al Khaima, etc, have all seen healthy growth over the last few years, I think there is a whole new crop of collectors that don't see those stamps as wallpaper like I did 40-50 years ago. There's now a demand for that stuff. Also, many of these countries have matured economically (wanna go from the USA East Coast to ME or SW/South Asia?? You will likely transfer in Qatar, AND fly on some of the most beautiful planes in the sky) and there are (I suspect) very rich 'natives' with disposable income and want to collect philatelic memories from their childhood. Japan matured this way in the 60's-70's, China in the 90's-2000's, and there are others. The secret to a good long-term investment is to figure out which country is next to enter the world stage, economically. India? North Korea, after the current regime?? Your guess is as good as mine.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
531 Posts
Posted 12/05/2020   9:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The nine Mongolia lots went for $183,750 + $36,750 (BP) for a total of $220,500.

Yes, rogdcam, welcome to the new world of Mongolia being HOT!! Who'da ever thunk it?? Yes, there were at least 2 deep-pocket bidders to run these up. I found it interesting that the buyer(s) of these lots were all listed, enigmatically, as the frustratingly-anonymous (to floor / Net). Considering there are no floor bidders nowadays (actually, that's just a guess for this sale, but expect it to be true) and any winners on the NET are usually identified by their SAN paddle #.

I guess we just need to wait a few months and see which dealer is hawking Mongolia, STRONGLY.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7233 Posts
Posted 12/05/2020   10:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I suspect that those lots will wind up overseas, and will not show up here. Some dealer in China or Japan with a real market, or two wealthy Asian collectors looking to enter the field who will take out what they want and sell off the duplicates.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
664 Posts
Posted 12/05/2020   10:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That was quite astounding - must have been something great in those lots for the Mongolia philately enthusiasts to get excited about.

Overall though bidding seemed mostly sane - got a South American lot I wanted, but not some of the European lots I was interested in.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5408 Posts
Posted 12/05/2020   10:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Two wealthy Asian bidders (let us assume) both happen upon a trove of Mongolia material at a Kelleher Collections auction and decide to bid aggressively. What are the odds? (cue computer keyboard noises and hard drives whirring) The material is so uncommon that it cannot be found at any dealer or on eBay or through Mongolian Collectors Society contacts. It is so rare that the bidding rises into US C3a territory (Inverted Jenny). Again, what are the odds? (more computations taking place) Perhaps they both viewed the material and espied the rarest Mongolian philatelic piece, a piece so rare and necessary to own that money was no object. The crown jewel of any Mongolian collection. The Hope Diamond of Mongolian philately. Even more amazing was that the piece was not a rare early cover or stamp or proof but rather it was from the latter part of the 20th century.

Perhaps they were both Jerry Garcia souvenir sheet fanatics?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7233 Posts
Posted 12/06/2020   12:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I didn't say it was a common occurrence. But having a lot estimated at $2000-$2500 go for $80,000 is not exactly a common occurrence either. So some uncommon events had to be in play here.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5408 Posts
Posted 12/06/2020   12:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Mootermutt may have been onto something about not understanding currency rates.
Valued Member
Learn More...
Netherlands
407 Posts
Posted 12/06/2020   03:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dutch US Stamp Collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
i did not follow the foreign lots but bid on 2 got 1

U.S., Insurance Advertising & Middleboro MA Covers, 1840-1969, estimate 1000-1500 got it for 1000

did miss out the black jack cover lot, and now seeing it went for 600 I should have put a higher bid into san.

well...happy anyways. now excited for the Kelleher no 750, december 8th to close
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6172 Posts
Posted 12/06/2020   07:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I just logged into the auction at the beginning of the Asian lots. Not my collecting area but decided to watch for a bit. I had no idea the lots would be fetching what they did.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5067 Posts
Posted 12/06/2020   10:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting comments here , I am a little confused here those stamps that I consider as "Wallpaper" are the ones exploded in price and had aggresive bidding . Maybe my thinking is that they were the normal Mongolia C-T-O's that are found in all kinds of bulk lots ,but these were MNH sets plus the same as inperfs in MNH complete sets . That may be why the crazy prices .

Then what I liked was a different story. As mention earlier I purchased the Libya lot ,first it had a lot of hundred dollar items , second the reviewer who wrote the description gave it a glowing review .I got that at estimate . So I have a disconnect to what others are buying ,total confusion .
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 24 / Views: 1,141Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05