Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

What, If Any Software Do You Use For Id, Perf Measurements Etc?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 422Next Topic  
Valued Member
Learn More...
Netherlands
409 Posts
Posted 12/10/2020   12:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Dutch US Stamp Collector to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
i am seeing some software like stampscan and the stampanalyzer.

http://stampscan.com/
https://rakium.com/

looking at their websites they look good, but just wondering if anyone here uses one of these, or other software?

what I would like is make a page or card scan, get individual stamp files and have perfs and grading etc done.

as many features as possible ;-)

want to use this to have a way to go the the enormous amount of stamps I have a bit more quickly.

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Send note to Staff

Learn More...
8958 Posts
Posted 12/10/2020   1:03 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Quickly? I am a techie but I can run through 3-5 times as many stamps using a manual gauge than I can scanning each stamp.
Don
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Learn More...
Netherlands
409 Posts
Posted 12/10/2020   1:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dutch US Stamp Collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
cheers Don, that is great, wish I could do the same
Valued Member
Learn More...
Netherlands
409 Posts
Posted 12/10/2020   1:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dutch US Stamp Collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
idea is scanning a full page
Valued Member
29 Posts
Posted 12/10/2020   2:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tsmatx to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am interested in the mobile app, couldn't imagine using an actual scanner. The reviews are pretty bad though.

It should be possible to do this in real-time (e.g. like Google Translate) and display perf measurements and dimensions without even taking a photo (not sure if that's how the app works)

Another app someone needs to build is stamp ID, i.e. just hold camera to stamp and it identifies country, catalog number, year, description, cat value etc. Technically it is not difficult at all. Just a reverse image search of stampworld.com. Maybe monetize it by connecting to ebay/hipstamp referral links. I think there is a desktop application which does this but it would be so much more useful on handheld.

I am software dev but have never done mobile before.

Learn More...
8958 Posts
Posted 12/10/2020   2:16 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The issue with a camera is that you cannot introduce any camera angle or the perf gauge will be inaccurate. In other words, the camera must be directly overhead or perpendicular to the stamp.
There are apps which ID stamps via images, there is an online version (which also sells your personal information). These types app work fairly well for mint stamps and work with limitations for cancelled stamps. There was an extensive thread on this type app in this forum years ago, it was here http://goscf.com/t/42279&whichpage=1
Don
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31277 Posts
Posted 12/10/2020   5:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Quickly? I am a techie but I can run through 3-5 times as many stamps using a manual gauge than I can scanning each stamp.

Same here.
Tried (and paid for) several digital perf guages time consuming and inaccurate.

Pillar Of The Community
Japan
2439 Posts
Posted 12/10/2020   5:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Software to ID a stamp is a tough nut to crack. There have been several attempts, but I don't know of anyone who has managed an accurate, consistent result. Michel has a cell phone app that allows you to take a photo with your phone and pull up the result from their online catalog, but I could never get it to work very well.

As to perfs, though I don't have a huge need for perf measurements (thank you, Germany!), when I do need a measurement, I use Stamp Analyser. It's drag-and-drop, so it's quick.

I don't know of any software that would allow you to do a whole page at a time. When I need to do multiples, I scan them as one, split the stamps out using StampFix, and drag-and-drop them individually into Stamp Analyser.
Presenting the GermanStamps.net Collection - Germany, Colonies, & Occupied Territories, 1872-1945
Valued Member
United States
293 Posts
Posted 12/10/2020   6:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Coastwatcher to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Unless or until they develop technology that can positively identify even the faintest of watermarks, I'll stick with the old fashioned methods of stamp identification!
Edited by Coastwatcher - 12/10/2020 6:36 pm
Valued Member
United States
115 Posts
Posted 12/10/2020   6:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Phillystamper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Another user of stamp analyzer. Easy and quick. if you don't have a scanner a cell phone can be used. I make a small stack of books a little box or something, set it on a white piece of paper lay the stamp on the paper set the phone on top of the stack with camera directly above the stamp's center-this is key to get it correctly. look at it from several angles to set up. Light with a bright desk lamp. mark the stamp center point on the paper so you can quickly set it up for the next one. No shake and repeatable results.
Pillar Of The Community
3349 Posts
Posted 12/10/2020   6:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There is no substitute for the human eyeball and a lot of experience.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31277 Posts
Posted 12/10/2020   6:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Postmaster,
is that a once only payment? or recurring?
Thank you.
Pillar Of The Community
Japan
2439 Posts
Posted 12/10/2020   8:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod,

It's one-time. It's about US$5.
Presenting the GermanStamps.net Collection - Germany, Colonies, & Occupied Territories, 1872-1945
Valued Member
Learn More...
Netherlands
409 Posts
Posted 12/11/2020   06:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dutch US Stamp Collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
very useful help again from the community. thank you for all the comments and tips so far!!

i will do a trial with the "Postmaster GS" solution and see where it gets me
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 422Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05