Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Graded Vrs Not For Sale?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 370Next Topic  
Valued Member
Learn More...
52 Posts
Posted 12/14/2020   4:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Pickastory to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
this would be in relation to sale of items

would the percent of auction houses accept or?

some houses wont accept graded items without a cert?

would collectors buy always, or is there a percent who are not interested in someone's 'view'

some view towards the younger collectors would be a move towards the 'graded system' as they have a comfort level with 'number' qualitative rankings.

I've seem to be ok if a hold not to worry about grade as its my 'eye of the beholder'.

thank you for insights in advance
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6150 Posts
Posted 12/14/2020   5:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Semantics in play here. Graded in the auction world means a numerical grade has been established and documented on a cert. No cert, no numerical grade. Fine, VF, XF and Superb are thrown around liberally but are as always very subjective.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Canada
167 Posts
Posted 12/15/2020   07:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mirman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
While I understand that for some issues certificates are a must, I collect stamps and not certificates. The fun of our hobby is trying to find 'the' stamp in near perfect condition in a mixture or a collection.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
804 Posts
Posted 12/15/2020   08:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Numerical grading is almost exclusively limited to US stamps it seems. I've seen a few Canadian graded stamps, but not common.

And VF etc are definitely subjective & useless in descriptions - there's one active online vendor I know of that lists every single stamp they have for sale as "No Faults Extra Fine!", even if the stamp looks like it was coughed up by my dog.
Pillar Of The Community
804 Posts
Posted 12/15/2020   08:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Are you referring to the American market?

Grading and certification are two subjects. Whereas I get the impression North American certificates include a grade, European certificates rarely do so. In Europe the closest thing to grading is the distinction between good, very fine and superb (or some local variety). And that type of description is not uniformly applied. It, rarely, is mentioned on a certificate. And superb or very fine does not imply the item comes with a certificate.

I cannot say how things are "down under," in Asia, nor in Latin America.
Edited by NSK - 12/15/2020 08:19 am
Valued Member
298 Posts
Posted 12/15/2020   09:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add canyoneer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For me, I am more interested in having an expert opinion regarding repairs, reperforations, regumming, etc. If I am spending 100's or 1000's of dollars on something I would like to have an expert, using high end equipment, to verify a stamp has not been altered. I have followed many of posts on this site regarding reperforations and have come to the conclusion that many reperf jobs are scary good. It's nice to have a certificate stating an opinion that a stamp is free of faults.

PSE grading doesn't mean anything to me personally ... I can use my own eye for centering, depth of color, impression (the things that draw me a stamp anyway). That's why I use PF basically for verifying soundness. I see PSE as mainly a grading operation. When I see common stamps from the 30's 40's with PSE grades of 98 getting > $100 I shake my head. But there must be buyers out there to push prices up to that level. To each his own ...
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 370Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.12 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05