Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Encapsulated Vrs Not ?

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 907Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
Learn More...
48 Posts
Posted 12/14/2020   4:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Pickastory to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
this seems to be a big topic as it was with coins years ago

is there pro or con with auction houses?

is there acceptance by collectors more or less?

seems to be a warranty for condition of item?

as a long hold is there a advantage to maintaining condition?

is anyone holding long storage of better items this way to insure against changes to the item?

thanks again
Send note to Staff
Edited by Pickastory - 12/14/2020 5:55 pm

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5667 Posts
Posted 12/14/2020   5:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Encapsulated stamps are not sought after by anyone.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7241 Posts
Posted 12/14/2020   5:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pickastory, would you please quit yelling at us?

Peter
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31301 Posts
Posted 12/14/2020   5:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pick a story.
It is hard to advise politely sometimes, without causing offence to some.
SCF have rules that accommodate Netiquette across the platforms.
Capitals as yelling:
SCF rules can be read from Box top right of home screen
Valued Member
276 Posts
Posted 12/14/2020   5:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add canyoneer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In 2003, I bought a PSE encapsulated US #534. Not a high value stamp but I liked the color and centering. When it arrived, I took a picture of it encapsulated then broke it out to put it in my album. I just the PSE database and it is still in there (but no picture). Personally I do not any difference between my photo + pic of encapsulation as evidence of the grade and condition and another done today with a separate cert. In both cases, anything can happen to that stamp at any time to make a cert "different" than the stamp. I understand that most wouldn't accept a 2003 grading (or anything older than 2016 for that matter). Keeps the grading merry-go-round busy.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1504 Posts
Posted 12/14/2020   6:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Climber Steve to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@canyoneer: PSE, along with the guy who now runs PSAG, were the individuals who started the whole grading craze 20 years ago. Encapsulation was part of that. To date, I have never bought a graded stamp and never will.
Valued Member
Learn More...
48 Posts
Posted 12/14/2020   7:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Pickastory to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
rod;
not use to typing for public
usually without glasses in office/man cave/gym,
hence the font

the slabbing issue is a no-go for me
the grading issue is a
the catalog vrs current pricing for fees no issue-infrequently occurs
the various services seem to operate on several levels that are similar

thanks for some updates
the comment about certs being older than 2006 is a gas
im looking at a cert I have from 1989
and 3 guys I like
might fun to have them sign again
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31301 Posts
Posted 12/14/2020   8:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
rod;
not use to typing for public
usually without glasses in office/man cave/gym,
hence the font

PAS
OK, thanks for that, understand,
perhaps try CTRL key and (tap)+ key, and your typing hopefully is clearer for you

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4326 Posts
Posted 12/14/2020   8:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Would not consider encapsulating a stamp. No interest no reason.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
421 Posts
Posted 12/14/2020   8:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jleb1979 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Not sure I would agree that encapsulation is a big topic of conversation.
As to acceptance by collectors, the small sampling in this thread would apppear to give you a decided "no." Myself included.
To enlarge the sampling, we can consider the recent Gross sale, for instance, which would seem to have featured zero encapsulated. Or in the Bill Langs holdings, another big series of sales of late - don't recall any encapsulated there, either.

But what is behind the question? Do you have some, or are you thinking of collecting some?

Valued Member
United States
292 Posts
Posted 12/15/2020   12:06 am  Show Profile Check pascoe's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add pascoe to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As a baseball card collector, I am familiar with encapsulation and would lie at least one example of an encapsulated stamp. The only benefit I have heard of is a recent tale of a large envelope of PSE graded stamps that got mangled in the posts system. Fortunately the stamps were not damaged and encapsulation might be a good way to add protection if desired.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5667 Posts
Posted 12/15/2020   06:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Special tongs for handling encapsulated stamps:

Valued Member
276 Posts
Posted 12/15/2020   09:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add canyoneer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Valued Member
Learn More...
48 Posts
Posted 12/15/2020   1:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Pickastory to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
yes

1. most collectors migrate from several different interests and so forth
b. I would surmise that the future collectors are very adapted to the concept of 'encapsulation' already from all the other venues and interests along with the concept of a 'grade'.
3. the only warranty to maintain condition is thru this process by the service which does this.
d. we all struggle with items found on acid papers, foxing, changelings, mishandled causing damage etc...

im only approaching this subject as to whether or not the collectors we hope to sell to would already be comfortable with this.

now, my personal comfort level isn't with this for my own items I don't have any, and remember the slabbing of coins as I was getting away from that area

as a geezzer with twezzers I prefer the 'feel' of history and the goal of discovery first hand
I have forgotten how much there is to this site as a old hand from the first ticker tape days of the chat room
as I have learned some exceptionally well researched areas and items beyond the scope of books and catalogs from here

thanks to the dedication and efforts
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5364 Posts
Posted 12/15/2020   2:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Like grading, having an "expert" place cards (often almost worthless from the ones I've seen on eBay) or stamps in a chunk of plastic is strictly a US phenomenon. If you're selling internationally, slabbing is likely to depress sales because of the risks involved in excavating the collectable.
Pillar Of The Community
544 Posts
Posted 12/15/2020   2:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I very much doubt it will catch on.

How do you think they will store them: have a pile of thousands of encapsulated stamps lying around in a closet? Or an album full of stamps except for a few valuable stamps that you left lying around encapsulated somewhere you do not remember.

As I stated in another thread: grading is not even an issue in Europe. We have good, fine, very fine and superb, no numbers.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 907Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05