Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Scott 86 Map Stamp - Odd Markings

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 683Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
7653 Posts
Posted 12/14/2020   7:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add wert to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Went through a few of my Map Stamps and came across at least 3 stamps with these strange markings...Probably just a bad print oddity.

Robert

Send note to Staff

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32811 Posts
Posted 12/14/2020   8:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Not on any of my 12 copies Robert.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7603 Posts
Posted 12/14/2020   8:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Robert, looks like it maybe a layout ( LOM ) dot to me. One of your stamps even has a clear line running through it

Peter
Edited by Petert4522 - 12/14/2020 8:15 pm
Pillar Of The Community
7653 Posts
Posted 12/14/2020   8:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That's what I thought Peter and Rod, that maybe a guide dot..Funny, I found none on Scott 85's...I will have to check the rest of my Map Stamps to see if there are any more.

Robert
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32811 Posts
Posted 12/14/2020   8:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Caveat: novice.

Tomlinson data : (if it refers to the plates in question)
exist
2 dots left corner, 1 dot right corner.

Needs confirmation.
Bib: The Canadian Map stamp of 1898 Frederick Tomlinson FCFS

Owned by SCF member Ryan.
Edited by rod222 - 12/14/2020 8:41 pm
Pillar Of The Community
7653 Posts
Posted 12/14/2020   8:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
So you think these dot{s} are used to identify the plate..??

Robert
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32811 Posts
Posted 12/14/2020   8:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
To be frank, Robert, I don't know,
this is new territory, one would need the book to read.

I would suggest the dots have been noted on the plates shown.
I have no idea on the plate details.

What is does do, is to encourage you to look for dots either side.

Guess: The dots are evidenced on Stamp 91 of Plate 2
Edited by rod222 - 12/14/2020 8:53 pm
Pillar Of The Community
7653 Posts
Posted 12/14/2020   8:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think I will just email Orville at BNAPS Map study group and see what he thinks...If I get a reply, I will post here.

Robert

Hi Rod
After what you identify as one dot on right side and double dot on left side..Well I found one in my book...Here it is below..Still hoping Orville can explain it.

Edited by wert - 12/15/2020 11:12 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
885 Posts
Posted 12/15/2020   12:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gettinold to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
wert

Found one among the few that I have:

Pillar Of The Community
3752 Posts
Posted 12/15/2020   1:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Still hoping Orville can explain it.

I am puzzled. Are you expecting an explanation beyond residual layout dots and lines?
Valued Member
Canada
168 Posts
Posted 12/15/2020   1:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Trodent to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Wert, have you checked out https://www.mapstamp.org/publications.php

I believe, someone was bored and decided to plate all the positions for all plates for the Map Stamp and published a book.

Trodent
Pillar Of The Community
7653 Posts
Posted 12/15/2020   3:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Trodent..
Have seen that write up..Will double check it out again.

Good find gettinold

Robert
Edited by wert - 12/15/2020 3:52 pm
Valued Member
255 Posts
Posted 12/18/2020   6:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hornet785 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,

Position dot like this block. The two vertical row beside it don't have it. It is a block of 9 I have as reference (not mine)

Best regards

Hornet
Valued Member
Canada
264 Posts
Posted 12/27/2020   4:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Casey Magoo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm looking at my block of 12 86b with a magnifying glass, and none of them have this dot in any corner.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
52 Posts
Posted 01/22/2021   07:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rfw125 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I was just reading this and decided to go through my copies, 16 in total, some mint and some used. Although I did not find any dots, there are some considerable differences between some of them, ie . Size and shape of islands, positioning of some islands etc.
The one I found the most intriguing is....just above South America there is a small group of islands, and I have noticed a ring like shape that appears in different positions on most of the stamps, some in the sea, one on the larger island above the main group and some on the main group of islands
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 683Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05