Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Slow USPS Deliveries - Grumpy Old Men Complaining About Post Office, Ebay, & Kids On The Lawn

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 188 / Views: 7,016Next Topic
Page: of 13
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2521 Posts
Posted 01/20/2021   8:48 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
One of my eBay customers just reported getting an item I sent that was postmarked Dec 23 - almost a full month. Several others I sent at the same time have still not arrived.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2948 Posts
Posted 01/21/2021   07:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Is the thread title of this discussion causing the width of the frame on the summary view? On my wcreen, the right side of forum is off the screen and looks like the length of this thread title is causing it!
Al
Learn More...
8976 Posts
Posted 01/21/2021   07:17 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The title should wrap like shown here

Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1439 Posts
Posted 01/21/2021   09:03 am  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KRelyea to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I started a topic last week and I thought it limited my title to 50 characters? This one is much longer than 50 characters?

Valued Member
United States
132 Posts
Posted 01/21/2021   09:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jconey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Getting back on topic... I have had many eBay sales go to refund over this delay in mail and know that only a portion of those sales will contact me when they do receive their packages. Tracking is not being maintained on the ones that have a number. I send a lot of stuff 1st class letter and even though my postage meter gives a tracking number, USPS doesn't use it. I did have a couple contact me and let me know that items postmarked December 12th and 19th just arrived this week.

My postal employee son-in-law told me that yesterday (1/20/2021) three trucks arrived at his post office in the morning and three more that evening, all from Baltimore. First trucks they had seen in 6 weeks. Now they are scrambling to get caught up. My son-in-law also confirmed that tracking is out the window on many priority and 1st class packages mailed in December.

The last of our Christmas presents arrived here on Tuesday of this week. I ordered it online December 3rd and opted for Priority Mail.
Edited by jconey - 01/21/2021 09:23 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
649 Posts
Posted 01/21/2021   10:35 am  Show Profile Check paperhistory's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paperhistory to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've been pretty lucky with my refunded customers (and there are only a handful) paying when the item eventually appears. January mail is generally doing better but December stuff still is lingering.

I did just pay a refund on a $5 cover yesterday from yet another customer who had a freakout that his cover wasn't in his hands in 14 days and claims that is "not normal." apparently he has not been sending or receiving much mail. The real fault lies with eBay for letting buyers open claims this rapidly.

Learn More...
8976 Posts
Posted 01/21/2021   10:54 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...The real fault lies with eBay for letting buyers open claims this rapidly...

I disagree. The eBay terms and conditions have always been known, and agreed to by all parties, when they entered these transactions.

The failure was with the postal system, the sellers who controlled the shipping service used (and continued to use USPS even through they understood the delays and risks), and buyers who don't cut sellers any slack. If a seller and buyer have a good relationship and good communications, it seems unlikely that the relationship would go south over a single delayed shipment.

And would not have changing the eBay T&Cs in 'mid-stream', which I believe are legally binding, have caused more confusion, more claims, more disputes? And does eBay start changing their T&Cs for just USPS delays or for all carriers (UPS drivers go on strike, main FedEx hub closes due to snowstorm, etc.)? Lastly, changing T&Cs is costly, and we all know that no company simply eats increased costs, they pass the costs along.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
649 Posts
Posted 01/21/2021   11:43 am  Show Profile Check paperhistory's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paperhistory to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Every single one of the "claims" that have been made on my items recently have been out of the blue with no communication from the buyer in advance.

I most certainly did NOT sign up to be the unilateral guarantor of the USPS's dismal performance.

eBay terms and conditions are what they are but a system that holds sellers to a standard 100% out of their control that they can't possibly meet, leaves them powerless to defend against it, and then provides NO REMEDY when the delayed items inevitably shows up is idiotic.

Telling me that I know what the terms are does not change the fact that eBay's policies are stupid, wrong,potentially legally actionable, and need to be changed.
Learn More...
8976 Posts
Posted 01/21/2021   11:56 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry, this is not how business is done. I have developed a number of vender rating systems (all ISO certified) and sellers are 100% responsible for shipping delays. Sellers typically select the shipper, it is THEIR vender. Your beef is with your vender, the USPS.

You agreed to the eBay terms, yet are saying they are stupid and unreasonable? I do not understand this at all.
Don
Valued Member
United States
132 Posts
Posted 01/21/2021   12:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jconey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
51studebaker, ordinarily I'd agree with what you say above and they are the seller's vendor.

Except... over the 21 years that I have been on eBay, they have drastically changed the rules, which are announced and seller has option to stop selling but they can and do change policies on their own whims regardless of what the sellers think. I have a lot of beefs with eBay myself and used to be a power seller with a store listing between 300-800 at any given time. I dropped the store and my ads as more changes took place. Now I maintain a few listings which actually help marketing off eBay. I now sell very little percentage wise on eBay. Particularly with their new banking/payment requirements.

This week I am opened a separate bank account just for them because I don't want them having my online banking ID and password to deposit or withdraw when it suits them for a sale, return or fees. Anyone who agrees with doing this on their main accounts, particularly if all your accounts are available (linked) under online banking, is nuts.

Also if you're using eBay's postage system, than it's not just the sellers vendor.

Learn More...
8976 Posts
Posted 01/21/2021   12:31 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
eBay has no postal system.

eBays business plan has always been the same, they side with the buyer so that buyers will feel ok with buying something sight unseen and from someone they do not know half way around the world. It is why eBay became successful and why they have millions of buyers.

Imagine a business plan or a seller who says, 'sorry, my responsibility ends when I drop your item in the mail'.

eBay sucks in many ways, I am not arguing that the policies cannot be improved, and their vender rating system is a total joke. But all of us agreed to this stuff. This is the same debate we have when someone in this community breaks the rules. it is what we all agreed to.

Yes, eBay policies do change, they are responsible for notifying those with accounts when they do (which is what they do). We are supposed to review those changes and we have the option to leave the relationship if we do not like the changes. So in fact we not only agree to the original T&Cs, but we reinforce the agreements every time they make a change and send us the notifications.
Don

Edit: Just a few weeks ago I had a buyer use eBay policies to ace me out of $75; I get that it sucks. I was leaning towards making the buyer return the heavy liquid items 3000 miles away, even through it would cost me more money, just because I thought he was ripping me off. And as I wandered around the house complaining about eBay, USPS, COVID, and the buyer my wife said, "stop acting like a 12 year old girl, it is part of doing business, just do what makes the most financial sense". She and I have previously worked together in our own business and I can always count on her to pull me out of my emotional responses.
Learn More...
8976 Posts
Posted 01/21/2021   1:17 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Digging into the US eBay T&Cs a bit further, I notice that they are virtually identical to Amazon's delivery guarantee. Here is eBay's wording from the eBay Guaranteed Delivery Seller Terms & Conditions page;

Quote:
You are financially responsible for any costs resulting from your failure to comply with your obligations under these Terms. You may be excused from your financial responsibility where the failure was due to circumstances such as severe weather, natural disaster, national emergency, labor strike, or governmental act.

From the sound of this, and assuming that 'national emergency' covers the US over the last 12 months, sellers can make the case they they are excused from a guaranteed delivery?
Don
Valued Member
United States
132 Posts
Posted 01/21/2021   2:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jconey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Read the first line of my replay above again.

Any I said they notify us of changes. It's up to use to curb sales or leave.

Did I strike a nerve or what?
Edited by jconey - 01/21/2021 2:24 pm
Learn More...
8976 Posts
Posted 01/21/2021   3:06 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
No, not at all. My opinion is that blaming eBay for delivery issues is pointless (I guess it could be considered therapeutic?) but my intent is only to present a perspective other than 'I hate eBay but I use them anyway'.

There are delivery policies that are far more strict than eBay's. For example I previously have done business with the State of NY, California, Montana and Vermont. With each of them (and the Feds are often the same) I was required to put up between $10,000 and $20,000 as a delivery date guarantee bond for each order; if the state did not receive the product on their docks in the delivery date window (violation before or after the window) I instantly lost the bond money. Like eBay, you did business with them like this or you did not do any business with them. But it did not matter if I used a shipper that failed, it did not matter if there was an act of God, war or civil unrest, I was on the hook for putting the product on their doorstep in the specified delivery date window. (I have paid truck drivers to sit in a truck stop for a day or two to avoid early delivery.)

Entire supply chains operate on guaranteed delivery dates for a reason, if sellers were able to disown responsible for delivery dates the entire chain could break down. Many American companies use JIT (Just in Time) inventory management, it counts on delivery dates.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5685 Posts
Posted 01/21/2021   3:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
eBay uses delivery promises, realistic or not, as a marketing tool. It is a part of the package when you sell on eBay.

Similar to what Don talks about I used to work in heavy/government construction and liquidated damages were in every contract to entice on time project delivery using the "stick". Along the way the Courts started ruling that if you had a "stick" you also needed to have a "carrot" in some contracts. So if you were going to apply a penalty of $100,000/day you might also offer a bonus of $100,000/day for every early delivery day. Almost every time though if enforcement of penalties became necessary it ended up in Court and everyone started to work towards avoiding that because it could take years and lots of dollars to litigate.

But we are talking about stamps here. Not a life saving drug or a new prison or a Stealth bomber. Just stamps. Back to eBay and it's marketing.
Page: of 13 Previous TopicReplies: 188 / Views: 7,016Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05