Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Slow USPS Deliveries - Grumpy Old Men Complaining About Post Office, Ebay, & Kids On The Lawn

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 188 / Views: 7,073Next Topic
Page: of 13
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2523 Posts
Posted 01/21/2021   8:19 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"The failure was with the postal system, the sellers who controlled the shipping service used (and continued to use USPS even through they understood the delays and risks), and buyers who don't cut sellers any slack."

Problem is for lower priced items there is no practical alternative to USPS.

"eBays business plan has always been the same, they side with the buyer so that buyers will feel ok with buying something sight unseen and from someone they do not know half way around the world. It is why eBay became successful and why they have millions of buyers."

Minor point, but it was not always this way. Years ago I had a major problem with a bigger $ than normal purchase and eBay's response was "Contact law enforcment".
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Learn More...
United Kingdom
110 Posts
Posted 01/22/2021   04:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add usinbritain to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
My opinion is that blaming eBay for delivery issues is pointless (I guess it could be considered therapeutic?) but my intent is only to present a perspective other than 'I hate eBay but I use them anyway'.

Don, I agree that a seller is responsible for getting the purchase to the buyer - that's the law in the UK and Europe. As I've always paid the postage or courier fees for my clients, I can choose which service to use. Since USPS and UK Royal Mail have been struggling for the past few months, I've lowered the purchase value, by more than half, of paying extra for Royal Mail Special Delivery for the UK and FedEx for USA & Europe. Costs me more, but the amount of stress and time saved in chasing delayed or lost shipments and filing compensation or insurance claims is worth it.

Steve
USA postal history 1750s - 1950s
Surbiton, England
https://www.stephentaylor.co.uk
Your American dealer in Britain since 1995
Pillar Of The Community
United States
613 Posts
Posted 01/28/2021   12:58 am  Show Profile Check kcaramat's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add kcaramat to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
On Dec 14 I mailed a Christmas card from Michigan to my daughter in Virginia. It got caught in the backlog and assuming it was lost I re-mailed on Jan 11. Low and behold that same afternoon the first envelope arrived (28 days!)

Well yesterday the 2nd envelope arrived (16 days!) Things are getting better. lol

I had been holding off listing on eBay until things got better. I hope I wasn't premature! I just had 30 auctions close last weekend. To the item going to the buyer in VA, please be patient. I certainly hope the shipments to the other states fair better.
Valued Member
65 Posts
Posted 01/28/2021   09:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mr. H to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've seen an improvement in my recent shipments. Anything shipped in December or early January are slowly getting to the ultimate destination.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
649 Posts
Posted 01/28/2021   09:50 am  Show Profile Check paperhistory's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paperhistory to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
At this point, I think all of my "missing" December shipments have arrived at their destination, and all of my buyers of refunded items paid me for them, so it's squared away. Anecdotally things are improving, though they are still not necessarily "normal" as we used to know it.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
719 Posts
Posted 01/28/2021   2:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, my mail to US customers (from Canada) is moving better than it was 4-6 weeks ago.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2523 Posts
Posted 01/29/2021   8:02 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I contacted the 2 buyers who received a refund. One admitted it had arrived and asked for my PP address (otherwise he made no effort to contact me).
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5699 Posts
Posted 02/09/2021   12:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, seven weeks after the USPS took control of my Registered Mail package from the Ukraine and it fell off of the map it resurfaced in NY. Should be here any day now. Right?
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
463 Posts
Posted 02/09/2021   11:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add uboatnut to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don't bet on it, Roger. My Oct 02 registered shipment is still floating in the ether somewhere.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5699 Posts
Posted 02/09/2021   12:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Uboatnut - Yeah, I will not believe it until it I have it in my sweaty little palms. I initiated a USPS search request a few days ago and that it is when it surfaced suddenly. Have you done a search request?
Valued Member
United States
103 Posts
Posted 02/09/2021   12:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GMC89 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Good luck all. The mail is not only slow, but also unreliable. I always send checks for any purchase I make. I
Have had checks returned marked"undeliverable as addressed, unable to forward". Of course I put them in a clean addressed envelope and they are delivered
When the USPS gets overwhelmed I think they just return mail.
Valued Member
United States
103 Posts
Posted 02/09/2021   1:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GMC89 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The WSJ had a chart a couple of weeks back showing on time delivery declined substantially in July and August. Sunday the Paper had above the fold, "Post Office in Chaos" a full page on A10. Geographical pricing , whatever that is, is approved to raise revenue. Last year myAPS dues were retuned due to "undeliverable as addressed, unable to forward" . I used the preprinted envelope that came with the invoic.
Valued Member
United States
103 Posts
Posted 02/09/2021   1:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GMC89 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I attributed that return due to my use of surplus postage, subsequently I now always use a forever to send a check. My screen keeps wiping out so I break up my post into little bites. I have a sense of humor, but the USPS isn't funny anymore. Good luck with your mailing
Valued Member
United States
103 Posts
Posted 02/09/2021   1:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GMC89 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am thinking that all my future payments to vendors will be sent with tracking. I don't know if that will help, but at least ill know my vendors are paid.
Learn More...
8982 Posts
Posted 02/09/2021   1:31 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi GMC
Please note that you can edit your posts by using the edit icon as shown here...

This will prevent the double/triple posts.
Don
Page: of 13 Previous TopicReplies: 188 / Views: 7,073Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05