Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Going To Be A Late Night For East Coast Schuyler Rumsey Bidders

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 44 / Views: 2,307Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5994 Posts
Posted 12/17/2020   3:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add rogdcam to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have not bid with them for about a year but really want some near end of auction lots this time. They started at 1200 EST and have gone through roughly 250 lots in four hours. There are 900 lots to get through. If anyone is up for poker come on over and bring some libations.

The realizations are pretty strong for US group postal history/cover and collection lots. There are a lot of live bidders on SAN.

OUT

PS: Yes I am bored.

And they just took a lunch break.
Send note to Staff
Edited by rogdcam - 12/17/2020 4:02 pm

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2363 Posts
Posted 12/17/2020   5:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Heh, yea I'm in central time, and I've had a few late night bidding situations with them in the past.

One time it worked in my favor, as there was a lot I didn't bother to monitor, since I was sure it would go well above what I was willing to pay. I got home late from work, logged in to the auction, and that lot was literally coming up just then -- much later than I would have expected. I managed to win it for not too terribly much, relative to where I thought it would go.

Better late than never. Maybe, just better .. late ?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
652 Posts
Posted 12/17/2020   7:27 pm  Show Profile Check paperhistory's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paperhistory to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Luckily the bulk lots I wanted were all at the beginning of the session today and I was done by around 2. Picked up a couple chunks of stuff today to go with sporadic winnings from Tuesday, though not the one I was most interested in (it's probably for the best as it would have been a lot to handle).

Big goose egg at Siegel for me though.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5994 Posts
Posted 12/17/2020   8:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Paperhistory - Lucky for you my friend. I think that I have hours to go yet. Zzzzzzzzzzz
Valued Member
74 Posts
Posted 12/17/2020   9:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bankruptcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
One of the only benefits of running out of money before the big auctions in December. A good night's sleep.
Valued Member
422 Posts
Posted 12/17/2020   10:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add archerg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I too was following for a while, everything was selling.... so... slow...
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5994 Posts
Posted 12/17/2020   10:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yup. I have the sound on and the auctioneers voice and pace is like taking an Ambien.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1466 Posts
Posted 12/17/2020   11:29 pm  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KRelyea to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It took 9 hours to get to the lot I wanted and it went for double my max, and the auctioneer's monotone was awful. Now I wait for Dutch Country and H/S.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5994 Posts
Posted 12/17/2020   11:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am still waiting Ken. Watching large German Colonies and Mexican lots go for crazy prices. Up to ten times high estimate. I will likely get skunked but I waited this long. I have Old Louis tomorrow and Raritan on Saturday.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5994 Posts
Posted 12/18/2020   12:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just wrapped up and was skunked. Yawn. Night-night
Valued Member
422 Posts
Posted 12/18/2020   01:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add archerg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am sure there were excellent lots to be had, but the massive auction was not supported with adequate pictures. How can I tender a fair bid if I can't see even a taste of the lot in person?

To be fair, I never asked for any images (knowing in advance my chances of reply were low). At the same time, I bid on what I see rather than what I dream. And, the pace and organization... reopening of lots, backtracking, closing quickly for preferred bidders and leaving other lots hanging for a fresh bid, nobody using the pass button... geez, that was time unpleasantly wasted, probably never again.

"One man's 60 year accumulation of..." is not a helpful lot description either. Sour grapes on my part? Maybe.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1470 Posts
Posted 12/18/2020   01:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cjpalermo1964 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I happily won seven lots (single stamps plus the Mulready) earlier in the week, then settled in to wait out the large lots with a glass of Sta. Rita Hills pinot noir, and for the first time entered an erroneous bid that I could not retract in time. Oh well, I guess I am now collecting Indochina. The lot I really wanted went for 3X estimate.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5994 Posts
Posted 12/18/2020   07:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Archberg - I could not agree more on the descriptions. And there were floor bidders even though S-R clearly stated the contrary prior to sale and that stinks because they could see the "one man's 60 year accumulation" lots. Those lots were numerous throughout the sale and had a grand total of zero scans let alone videos. Really? If I were the consignor I would be p***ed off. I bid on three lots and would have not even limited my bids if I could see what I was going to purchase and decided that I wanted it. Ridiculous. What gets me is that there are single item postal history lots that get soliloquies and are estimated at a quarter of the value of some of the large lots.

Rant Over (for the moment)
Valued Member
United States
79 Posts
Posted 12/18/2020   07:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MrEd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I guess I am now collecting Indochina

lol funny
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5994 Posts
Posted 12/18/2020   07:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Chris - It could have been 5000 copies of cat topical souvenir sheets.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United Kingdom
113 Posts
Posted 12/18/2020   08:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add usinbritain to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I viewed numerous large US postal history lots at Rumsey in person, even though that involved an 11 hour (masked and nearly empty) flight each way and 10 day quarantine back in the UK. Viewing was available by appointment and the day I was there, other dealers (and collectors) came in for their slots, everyone masked and sitting 6 feet apart at their own table. Staff were busy scanning large lots that had been requested by bidders who couldn't attend the viewing.
Steve Taylor
USA postal history 1750s - 1950s
Surbiton, England
https://www.stephentaylor.co.uk
Your American dealer in Britain since 1995
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 44 / Views: 2,307Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.55 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05