Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Indian Diggins Courtesy Cancels

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 326Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1336 Posts
Posted 12/18/2020   03:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add GregAlex to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This was an interesting cover which I have no background on, but I liked the cancellations. Three different handstamps from Indian Diggins, CA, were used, all dated Sept. 29. One from 1899, another from 1934, and one without a year date, but it looks to be from the 1850s.

Sep. 29 wasn't a FDoI for any of the stamps. I'm thinking it may have been the last day of use for that P.O., which appears to be a DPO now. All the cancels look genuine -- do you think they brought out all the old canceling hammers and put them to use on the final day?

Send note to Staff

Learn More...
United States
10057 Posts
Posted 12/18/2020   03:48 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If desired, you can download the Postal Guides for different years and lookup to see when the Indian Diggins PO was closed.
https://stampsmarter.org/learning/P...GuideS4.html
Don
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
4074 Posts
Posted 12/18/2020   05:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I seem to recall a thread on Indian Diggins before. Yes, I agree, these are strikes of old devices in the early 1930s era of lots of philatelic contrivances, although this one has considerable historic appeal. Obviously they didn't have the appropriate sizes/styles of current year dates for the old devices. I do not know how/why the 1850s device lacks the G, perhaps a later remake?

I use a different method to quickly find the exact date.

From the post office listings on Jim Forte's website:
"Indian Diggings, El Dorado County (1853-1869)",
and without the "G" as
"Indian Diggins, El Dorado County, (1888-1935)"

This narrows the year search for using the uspostalbulletins.com website which has the Postal Bulletin of November 18, 1935 (issue 16825):
"Discontinued ... Indian Diggins ... effective November 30, 1935."

The two websites are at:

https://www.postalhistory.com/

http://www.uspostalbulletins.com/Home.aspx
Edited by John Becker - 12/18/2020 06:10 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1336 Posts
Posted 12/18/2020   1:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for those links! The first one had several more Indian Diggins covers. Looks like that earliest handstamp got a lot of later use!

So obviously my cover wasn't a last-day. Probably just a contrivance, as you say, but an attractive one.
Edited by GregAlex - 12/18/2020 1:55 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2678 Posts
Posted 12/18/2020   3:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Looks like that earliest handstamp got a lot of later use!

As well as it's later use, that device (ELD-1930) was in use from 15 Aug 1861 to 10 Oct 1894. 33 years is the longest usage I've noticed!
A note below the town name/s says "the change to Diggins occurred between 1860 and 1868"
From Williams California Town Postmarks
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 326Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.14 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05