Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Your Earliest Postage Stamp Memory

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 815Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

143 Posts
Posted 12/18/2020   4:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Perf10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
My earliest memory of stamps comes from some December of the past while my mom prepared Christmas cards. My job was to seal the envelope, and affix a postage stamp. Yes, I recall which stamp design it was, but mentioning it would date me. Separating each stamp, wetting it, and placing it in the proper envelope corner, on the proper side, were all learning experiences that day.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
7377 Posts
Posted 12/18/2020   5:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I can remember having a discussion with my father and my brother about Scott 1098 when it was a new issue. And I already had an interest for several months by then; I was 4.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
144 Posts
Posted 12/18/2020   5:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Tongman65 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
1976, my father showing a $5 stamp to me, USA Scott# 1053. I was ten.
Edited by Tongman65 - 12/18/2020 5:21 pm
Valued Member
United States
79 Posts
Posted 12/18/2020   5:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MrEd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
the year was 1962, my grandfather showed me what not to do with a stamp album. The well meaning youngster he got the album from had used glue to affix each and every stamp contained therein. To this day I still believe I can see the tears in his eyes tho he never admitted it
Valued Member
United Kingdom
296 Posts
Posted 12/18/2020   8:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Noocassel to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My first formed memory of stamps was when my older brother sold me some of his swaps to start my own collection. I paid all my weeks pocket money(allowance) of 6d, for which I got his empty second hand album, some hinges, and a chance to choose about 20 of his swaps. My Dad let the deal go through but then gave me lots of swaps from his collection and free access to his stock of hinges. I was under 8 years old or less.
United States
3 Posts
Posted 12/18/2020   8:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Taxpaid Revenuer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I remember buying the Mexican Independence stamp issued in 1960 at the US Post Office branch near my home on Merle Hay Drive, and rifling through my mother's accumulation of covers for interesting commemoratives around that time. I bought a space mixture packet with a bunch of Eastern Euro CTO's for a whole quarter around 1960. I was 9 at the time. My father took me to a local stamp shop in Des Moines around 1961 and I got my first pocket Brookman catalogue, which I subsequently devoured. Got my first red 1940 Modern world stamp album from a neighbor lady around then. It had a nice smattering of singles and sets which I still have. From then on the race was on to complete the US section, something I am still working on. All this opened up worlds I still enjoy exploring - what fun!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2462 Posts
Posted 12/18/2020   8:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chasa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
helping with the Christmas cards: Scotts 1098
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5391 Posts
Posted 12/18/2020   9:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rootin' through the cheapo stamp packets at F. W. Woolworth's while my mom shopped at the strip mall.
Valued Member
United States
285 Posts
Posted 12/19/2020   12:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add waddsbadds to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't specifically recall when I started collecting stamps, but I probably got my first album when I was around 6 or 7,so, around 1954 or 55-ish, and it was probably my mother who gave it to me since she was the one most involved in the toy and entertainment department for me and my older brothers, two of whom collected stamps. I was living in the United Kingdom at the time, so my earliest stamps would have been the few we soaked off letters from relatives my mother corresponded with, in the United States and South Africa (I had an aunt there), and of course, being the youngest, I got the dregs, so I didn't have any great stamps at that age. Back then the little threepenny and sixpenny packets of stamps were sold nearly everywhere, so with my meager allowance, and a few my mother slipped my way, I expanded the collection a little. I can even remember a specific packet my mother gave me, a small collection, probably 6 or 8 of the Finland lion stamps part of a long series issued starting in 1930 and still in use for many years after that. My first album was a 64 page paper covered one published in Wales and called the Special Agent album. I no longer have it but occasionally one comes up on eBay and it's laughable now to see how some of the interior pages might have 5 or 6 different countries! My current Great Britain collection alone encompasses 7 volumes and is still growing. Here is a picture of the album from the internet, and I should point out that when I had the album (traded up for a bigger one when I was about 9)I did not know where Rhyl was (it's in North Wales)
Edited by waddsbadds - 12/19/2020 12:51 am
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1712 Posts
Posted 12/19/2020   01:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I can remember watching my father putting his new issues away. I would've been younger than 5.
Valued Member
United States
398 Posts
Posted 12/19/2020   12:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EdziuMM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sometime in the early 1940's my Mom give me a packet of stamps to play with. I had never seen a stamp before that. Been hooked ever since. BTW, my first album was that Modern that Taxpayer Revenuer illustrated earlier in this thread.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1213 Posts
Posted 12/19/2020   9:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JLLebbert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I too remember the same red stamp album as my first one, in the mid '50s ... probably 1955.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1085 Posts
Posted 12/19/2020   10:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The 1972 Stamp Collecting commemorative (Scott #1474) was what inspired me to start collecting, but I was aware of stamps before that. The Age of Reptiles from 1970 (#1390) certainly grabbed my attention. The ones I mainly remember in general use were the 8c Eisenhower (#1395, 1402) and Flag over the White House (#1338F, 1338G) definitives from 1971.

I was using stamps as early as 1970. I have several letters that I wrote and addressed to my dad, who was in the Mediterranean on the USS Forrestal at the time, and I undoubtedly put the stamps on them myself. (I was a precocious four-year-old.) Most of the envelopes have the 10c Fifty-Star Runway airmail stamp (#C72) on them, though a couple have the 6c rate, either the Flag over the White House or FDR.
Edited by erilaz - 12/19/2020 10:54 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
579 Posts
Posted 12/20/2020   9:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wkusau to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I remember the 1963 US Christmas stamp (Christmas tree in front of the White House) as the first postage stamp that my Mom explained to me had a purpose (moving the mail) and was not a sticker to be played with. So I was not a collector yet but it was an important discovery for me.
Australia
3 Posts
Posted 12/21/2020   6:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Riccardo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
1966 world cup England winners stamp. Sent on a letter from my aunt. Still got it. Stamp collecting has educated me in lots of ways. Information about countries and people I didn't know existed. I have travelled extensively around the world and love searching out the local post offices and purchasing stamps. These jog my memory of great holidays when I see them occasionally.
Valued Member
United States
99 Posts
Posted 12/21/2020   8:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jmdregs to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Although I gave up collecting for many years in my teens and then resumed it much later in life I remember when I was about eight years old hearing that some stamps could be worth big money. Shortly thereafter I came across a German inflation stamp...looking at a catalog tonight, I believe it was a Scott #280. The face value of the stamp states a value of a "million" in 1923 inflation Marks. Naturally I thought I had hit the jackpot. Owning a 1ate 1940's Scott catalog, I found Scott's address and dashed off a letter in my childish scrawl offering to sell them the stamp. A few weeks later I received an actual rather formal reply that went something like "we are publishers etc....and do not purchase etc". The letter was probably written by a secretary. In retrospect I thought it was really cool for some secretary to take the time to respond. I wish I still had the letter. I wonder if Amos gets stuff like that?

On another note, I had a cousin who worked at the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard where at the time (mid 1950's), they actually built submarines. She was good enough to occasionally send me a cover that the Navy would issue in conjunction with a sub launch. I still have the cover for the Thresher, SSN 593 and remember how horrified everyone was when she sank with all hands lost.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 815Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.48 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05