Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Question Regarding Michel Catalogs

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 780Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
79 Posts
Posted 12/19/2020   07:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add MrEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Greetings,

Looking for a Michel catalog and I keep running across the catalogs that say...

Band 1
Band 1.2
Band 2

I assumed that indicated Volume or perhaps Area of coverage but after running this word Band thru German translation programs I can not see to find the literal translation for Band as applied to the catalogues.

Can someone either inform me of said meaning or put me outa my misery. Either option is acceptable :)

Thanks Folks

Ed
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
942 Posts
Posted 12/19/2020   07:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Your first guess was right. Band is the German for volume (part), as in a series.

Michel Deutschland Spezial-2020 Band 1 covers 1849-April 1945.
Band 2 covers "from May 1945, allied occupation until FRG."

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by NSK - 12/19/2020 08:01 am
Valued Member
United States
79 Posts
Posted 12/19/2020   08:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MrEd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you N and thank you for the further explanation.
Pillar Of The Community
Japan
2478 Posts
Posted 12/19/2020   08:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Also, some volumes have a decimal in the volume number (ex., Band 3.2).

Michel groups their non-Germany catalogs into two general categories -- Europe (Europa), and overseas (Übersee). Within these two sets, each geographical area originally had a volume number that was consistent across the years -- for example, South America was Übersee Band 3. Over time, the catalogs grew in size and needed to be split, but Michel wanted to keep the same overall volume numbers. So, they started using the decimal system -- South America is now Übersee Band 3.1 (A-J) and Band 3.2 (K-Z).
Presenting the GermanStamps.net Collection - Germany, Colonies, & Occupied Territories, 1872-1945
Valued Member
United States
79 Posts
Posted 12/19/2020   08:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MrEd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That makes sense, those Germans were nothing if not pragmatic
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1123 Posts
Posted 12/19/2020   12:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Timm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
They need to produce all english versions of the Michel Catalogues.
Valued Member
United States
79 Posts
Posted 12/19/2020   8:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MrEd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
They don't already????
Pillar Of The Community
Japan
2478 Posts
Posted 12/19/2020   8:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
They don't already????

They've published an English-language version of the Germany Specialized (with reduced coverage compared to the German version), but that's about it other than some smaller specialized works. They're adding BRD in January 2021, but they haven't done any other countries of the world. It's a shame, because their catalogs really are well done.

It's probably only a matter of time. They've really been expanding their offerings lately with lots of thematic catalogs (cats, dogs, trains, etc.) and catalogs of sub-areas (ex., 2-volume specialized set for British Colonies, specialized catalog of US overseas possessions, etc.).
Presenting the GermanStamps.net Collection - Germany, Colonies, & Occupied Territories, 1872-1945
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32836 Posts
Posted 12/19/2020   9:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Gentlemen,
don't forget he 2005 Michel Gulf States, all in English.
One of my treasured possessions.
Valued Member
United States
79 Posts
Posted 12/19/2020   9:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MrEd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
iirc that was a HUGE listing with a LOT of countries and coverage
Pillar Of The Community
Japan
2478 Posts
Posted 12/19/2020   9:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
don't forget he 2005 Michel Gulf States, all in English.

Can't believe I forgot that one, Rod!
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32836 Posts
Posted 12/19/2020   9:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
iirc that was a HUGE listing with a LOT of countries and coverage

If you are responding to the Gulf States catalogue,
indeed yes.

Transformed my motley crew of the badly coined "Dune Stamps" into a marvellous catalogued collection.

They are fallible, however. The Ajman "Roses" issues are still not cracked, by anyone on the planet, as far as I am aware.

Quote:
Can't believe I forgot that one, Rod!

You made my year, when you gifted me that, Postmaster.
Never forget that.
My Rosetta Stone.

Edited by rod222 - 12/19/2020 9:27 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Japan
2478 Posts
Posted 12/19/2020   9:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod,

I think the English-language Gulf States catalog I sent you was the 2013 edition, right? From this thread, it looks like you already had the 2006 edition.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32836 Posts
Posted 12/19/2020   9:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Postmaster,
you embarrass me with your accuracy.
Correct.

They sit adjacent, in the library, curiously the 2013 (maroon) edition
is same width 1" taller, and about half inch thinner, than the yellow 2005.

The 2013 is "well thumbed"

FYI members: contents of the Michel "Gulf States"
Edited by rod222 - 12/19/2020 9:53 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Japan
2478 Posts
Posted 12/19/2020   10:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod,

What's the deal with the Ajman roses issues? Issues that aren't in the catalog?
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32836 Posts
Posted 12/19/2020   11:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What's the deal with the Ajman roses issues?

Postmaster, printed in blocks of 12 or so?
over a long period.
Production is so poor that ID is difficult.

Before I embarrass myself further, I'll revisit and post back.
Only method I have used hereforeto, is to find blocks for sale
on eBay, and try an decipher using marginal markings.

May take me a while.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 780Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.24 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05