Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Large Envelopes Uncancelled Stamps

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 559Next Topic  
Valued Member

300 Posts
Posted 12/19/2020   4:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Torin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Is it just me, or does the USPS not cancel stamps on large envelopes? In the past two years, every large envelope I have received has uncancelled stamps? Do these large envelopes not get passed through a cancellation machine or some sort of reader to make sure they have correct postage? The envelopes I receive always have correct postage, but I hope the USPS isn't losing revenue because of this.
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
Canada
115 Posts
Posted 12/19/2020   7:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PMStamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is not only in the USA. I too have received numerous envelopes large and small containing several stamps that have not been cancelled. This must be a common occurrence since you can quite often find bags of uncancelled stamps on paper sold by denomination, or by weight in stamp auctions. If these stamps were to be peeled off or soaked off and reapplied to a new envelope then yes the postal administration involved would lose revenue.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5117 Posts
Posted 12/19/2020   8:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
First ----It is illegal to reuse postage stamps . The Post Office trys to go after the biggest resellers about once every two or three years, we usually get a news story about it ,but mostly they deliver a cease and desist order and that ends it .
Pillar Of The Community
3373 Posts
Posted 12/19/2020   8:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Torin,

Over the last year, you have started several threads about rates and whether something was mailable at certain rate/classes such as book rate, media mail, etc. Or whether the USPS might be losing a few cents here or there. I am puzzled by this concern. Is there a reason for this interest?

To your uncancelled stamps question, I will paraphrase my understanding of the current USPS stance as "once applied, it's used", whether cancelled or not, it cannot be removed and reused. Several things seem logical here:

1. Most postal patrons are basically honest and pay the correct amount to the best of their knowledge. Yes, rating mistakes will occur by the public and postal clerks. NOr are the regulations perfectly clear on every possible thing which can be mailed. Judgement calls get made by clerks.

2. The uncancelled self adhesives are far harder for the user to remove and reapply, so most won't bother anyway. Does it happen some? Sure, but the value of the time to process these stamps is considerable when I can buy ready-to-apply discount postage for 60% or less.

3. The USPS isn't checking mail for slight underpayments, unless the piece gets kicked out of the facer-canceler system as undetectable (i,e., nothing tagged found), then a nixie clerk will take a look - likely enough only to get it manually faced unless found to be fully unpaid. I mailed a letter today and applied 56 cents. I don't expect to have a penny show up in my box in a few days as a refund either.

4. The cost/benefit of catching every last penny far exceeds the revenue. When was the last time you saw a mail piece marked with a due amount? When was the last time your carrier rang the doorbell to collect a few cents postage due? Like big retailers, figure in some slippage and price accordingly to cover for it.

I would estimate the cancellation rate on flats mail I get is about 60%. If anything, I would like to go the my local office and get them to cancel these skipped stamps to give them a collectible cancel.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31343 Posts
Posted 12/19/2020   8:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Further to John's excellent rejoinder,

I see it 50/50
Yes, I do get some mail from US uncancelled, this is marvellous,
as they are removed and placed in my album.

If they are cancelled (By postal machines) that's fine too, I keep the cover.

Then there are the uncancelled, and later marked by the marker monkey,
legal yes, but renders the stamps to the bin, sadly.

I take the good with the bad.

Cover, covered back and front, with great clean used stamps.
Edited by rod222 - 12/19/2020 9:00 pm
Valued Member
300 Posts
Posted 12/20/2020   08:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Torin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
John Becker: I have suggested in the past this forum have a USPS category for questions regarding it. Obviously most stamp aficionados use the USPS. Thus far the responses to my questions regarding it have been helpful, which validates my hypothesis.

Rod222: I love your envelope!!! I started a thread on here a few months ago about largest number of stamps on an envelope/ package.
Pillar Of The Community
3373 Posts
Posted 12/20/2020   10:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Torin,
So these threads are just to push for a new category in the forum? It seems like more than that ... with such an intense interest in the USPS losing a penny here or there. What exactly is your hypothesis?
Valued Member
United States
102 Posts
Posted 12/20/2020   11:45 am  Show Profile Check knick1959's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add knick1959 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Rod222: I love your envelope!!! I started a thread on here a few months ago about largest number of stamps on an envelope/ package.

Will look for this thread today! I've got a box full of package fragments I've kept just because of the stamp collection affixed! Some fully canceled, some fully ignored and many in-between. I'll see if there is room for me to contribute.

I found the topic interesting enough to read and respond. I've scratched my head about this before and my wife has made many comments about "all the cool stamps" and often "why aren't they canceled!??". So whatever the OPs reasons for asking, I'm not sure I get the problem.
Valued Member
United States
102 Posts
Posted 12/20/2020   12:52 pm  Show Profile Check knick1959's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add knick1959 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This isn't a particularly large package; more the 8.5 x 11 size (flat cardboard envelope). This arrived in the last couple of months and was still sitting on my desk waiting to be put on the "messy package with stamps" pile. As someone else said, I'm not sure why I save these either, but my wife seems to like them. Perhaps a fill-in Xmas present? She'd kill me! Anyway ... no sign of a cancel anywhere:

Edited by knick1959 - 12/20/2020 12:53 pm
Valued Member
300 Posts
Posted 12/20/2020   3:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Torin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
John Becker: I have no agenda other than to see the USPS thrive, prosper and for stamps to continue in our high-tech world. It's obviously natural to ask about the USPS since they are the ones who issue stamps and the stamps are used for their services, much akin to asking about the US Mint on a coin forum. A lot people on this forum have posted criticisms, questions, and sometimes praise about the USPS, their policies, efficiencies, etc.. in different topic categories. I don't see a forum rule that prohibits me discussing the USPS. In my opinion, the owners of this forum should create a USPS section. Not everyone here is a full time stamp collector, dealer, has 40+ years experience in the hobby of stamps or is in the for profit business aspect of it.
Valued Member
United States
102 Posts
Posted 12/20/2020   4:17 pm  Show Profile Check knick1959's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add knick1959 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
In my opinion, the owners of this forum should create a USPS section

Apparently your wish has been granted. I see a new forum in my "New Posts" list.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4327 Posts
Posted 12/20/2020   4:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't think so.
Valued Member
United States
102 Posts
Posted 12/20/2020   4:55 pm  Show Profile Check knick1959's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add knick1959 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, sorry. I saw the subject about it at the bottom of the list and breezed right by. My mistake! Looks like the request was actually denied!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4327 Posts
Posted 12/20/2020   4:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There is no new forum. Just a comment in the "suggestions and comments forum."
Pillar Of The Community
3373 Posts
Posted 12/20/2020   5:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If anything, this thread should be moved to the "US Covers" category as today's handling (or mishandling!) of the mails is modern postal history.
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 559Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.97 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05