Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Cancel Rarity - Ghost Towns And Changed P.o.'s

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 32 / Views: 997Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar Of The Community
7468 Posts
Posted 12/19/2020   7:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add wert to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Not sure if collectors would be interested in the fact that there may be very rare cancels that may be out there.

I have lists of ghost towns across Canada and with the help of LAC gathered lots of Post Offices that changed names resulting in possible rare cancels that may exist.

Below is just a small portion of and excel sheet I put together showing P.O. names changed and ghost town P.O.'s that have disappeared.

Some were only around for a couple of months.

Think this might be worth investigating...??

Robert

Send note to Staff

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31298 Posts
Posted 12/19/2020   9:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice work, Robert.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
392 Posts
Posted 12/20/2020   5:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EdziuMM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Fascinating!! Any possibility of getting or accessing your lists?
Pillar Of The Community
7468 Posts
Posted 12/20/2020   6:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
EdziuMM..I am not even 5 to 8% the way through trying to do a write up and gather population of each and every ghost town or Post Offices that were closed or have a name change.

It will probably take another week or so, but will have a PDF if collectors are interested.

Robert
Valued Member
United States
392 Posts
Posted 12/20/2020   6:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EdziuMM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for your response, Robert! I would be interested in that PDF whenever you complete it. I collect worldwide stamps on which I can ID the place of cancel. I already have 2,700+ Canadian-places-and-counting and would be fascinated to know if I actually have any "ghost town." Besides, it would be a valuable reference source to help ID places whose earlier names can be difficult to find. Meantime, stay safe from the coronabug! ~Edmund
Valued Member
Canada
148 Posts
Posted 12/20/2020   6:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add j2186 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Robert,

I'm not sure why you are reinventing the wheel this way. All of this information has been published in various books. There is no need to search LAC one by one.

On my own shelves, I have a book for every province except Quebec.

So, for example, I can look up O'Donnell River in BC and see that its cancel is unknown except in the proof book, while Nicholson in BC is RF E (fewer than 10 copies reported in collections.

Also Vancouver Sub 101 was open 1953-1960 and again 1962-1966.

Any complete list will run to at least 25,000 entries.

Jan
Pillar Of The Community
7468 Posts
Posted 12/20/2020   7:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
ok cancelled.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1665 Posts
Posted 12/20/2020   9:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Why cancel the project? I do projects purely for my own reference all the time.

Could Jan advise if the books referred to are easy to obtain?
Pillar Of The Community
7468 Posts
Posted 12/20/2020   11:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Bobby De La Rue..Ya, you are right..I will just do it for my own reference on possible rare cancels...Thanks for your support.

Robert
Pillar Of The Community
3358 Posts
Posted 12/20/2020   11:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
While I usually try not to repeat the works of others, It is often useful to have a spread sheet or database which can have fields added and which can be sorted by any combination. It can be very productive to examine the outliers among the data fields. It also helps catch errors in the data.

Based on my experience with U.S. towns, I mentally see two broad types of discontinued post offices:
1. Those which just withered and died-out, which are the true DPOs most collectors seek.
2. Those operating at full-strength, which name-changed or were absorbed as a station/branch of a neighboring town, the "cheap" DPOs, if you will.
Many dealers do not draw this distinction when pricing.
No doubt there are some "category 1.5" towns as intermediate exceptions, but I'll ignore those for now.

Thus I would add a column to any town listing for "reason of closure". If I were trying to create a rarity factor for a town, it would certainly include which category of DPO it is in among the other typical populations and length of operation data.
Pillar Of The Community
501 Posts
Posted 12/21/2020   12:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stamps101 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If this is an easily searchable database, I would also be interested. Especially because it may be possible to look up part of a string of letters from somewhere and see the possibilities. Carry on!
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1665 Posts
Posted 12/21/2020   01:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
John is right, but I have extracted data out of the work of others where my focus is a subset of the original work, ie: the gold rush towns of the Central West of NSW, rather than every PO in the state.

Half the fun is pinning down where many of these transient places were!
Valued Member
Canada
148 Posts
Posted 12/21/2020   01:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add j2186 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I wasn't trying to discourage Rob from forming a database/spreadsheet of cancels. These are very useful if you can search them easily. I have done this myself for some of the areas I collect. The point I was trying to make was that if he wants to do this, it would be a lot easier and less work if he used the cancel books.

Unfortunately they are out of print (and out of date) but they do come up for sale. I bought mine at local stamp shops whenever I saw them.

For those of you who are interested in rare British Columbia cancels, there is an updated list of the rarity E offices on the BNAPS website:

https://bnaps.org/hhl/n-bcr.htm

Scroll down to find monograph 3.

For those who don't know, rarity E is the highest level of rarity (except for unknown). It is for those offices where fewer than 10 examples are known.

I do have an extra copy of the Saskatchewan and of the New Brunswick books if anybody collects these provinces.

Jan
Pillar Of The Community
7468 Posts
Posted 12/21/2020   10:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Thus I would add a column to any town listing for "reason of closure".

John, I don't believe the reason for closure affects the rarity of cancels, it just shows a closure.

Quote:
If I were trying to create a rarity factor for a town, it would certainly include which category of DPO it is in among the other typical populations and length of operation data.

Yes population is important..Example Tilt Cove today is Canada's smallest town..Population 4.

Quote:
it would be a lot easier and less work if he used the cancel books.

Correct Jan..Hard to find.

I will continue the project for personal use..Thanks guys.

Robert
Pillar Of The Community
3358 Posts
Posted 12/21/2020   10:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I don't believe the reason for closure affects the rarity of cancels

I do. That is exactly why I described 2 main categories of closures.
Pillar Of The Community
7468 Posts
Posted 12/21/2020   11:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
That is exactly why I described 2 main categories of closures.

I understand what you are saying John.
I am trying to keep it simple for my non expertise ability.
I have added a rarity factor column...

rarity 1 - Extremely rare {under one year of existence.}
rarity 2 - Very rare {Less than 5 years of existence.}
rarity 3 - Rare {under 10 years of existence}
rarity 4 - Possible rarity {under 20 years of existence}

Plus a population additive..Example if a town had 1000 people, it is more rare if the town only had 100 people..Ihave to add a population column.

Just saying...Remember, for my personal use only...MUCH more work ahead.

Example so far {but could change titles}

Edited by wert - 12/21/2020 11:53 am
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 32 / Views: 997Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.66 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05