Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Interactive 'First Stamp Issued' World Map Now On Stamp Smarter!

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 565Next Topic  
Learn More...
United States
10743 Posts
Posted 12/21/2020   12:45 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add 51studebaker to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I have developed and implemented another philatelic interactive feature on Stamp Smarter. Originally targeted at teachers, parents, grandparents, and home schoolers this one might also be of interest to other hobbyists.

It is an interactive world map which supports zooming and scrolling. Clicking on any country will display the 'first stamp issued' for that country, the date, and a short blub on the first issue postal history for that country.

https://stampsmarter.org/Learning/W...tIssues.html

Happy Holidays to All,
Don
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
599 Posts
Posted 12/21/2020   1:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Oracle of Delphi to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is an amazing feature. Good job as always, Don.

Happy Holidays!
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
1867 Posts
Posted 12/21/2020   2:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice feature.

I think there is a small typo for the United Kingdom. It states 1850, instead of 1840. The ensuing text, correctly, mentions 1840.

The Penny Black, together with the Two Pence Blue was issued on May 6th, 1840. For a long time, it was thought the Two Pence Blue was issued later. However, a Post Office notice mentions the issue of both stamps from May 6th, 1840.

The Penny Black is known used as early as on May 1st, 1840. The use was not authorised before May 6th. Problems with the application of the gum caused the Two Pence Blue only to be available from a few post offices in London on May 6th, 1840. This may have been the reason that it was long thought to have been issued on May 8th, 1840.
Learn More...
United States
10743 Posts
Posted 12/21/2020   2:40 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Fixed, sorry.
Don
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
106 Posts
Posted 12/21/2020   7:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add OzwaldO to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Fun stuff! You need a map for different time periods now, a collectors work is never done!
Learn More...
United States
10743 Posts
Posted 12/21/2020   8:23 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Agreed, I stared down that road and have a version that supports 5 different periods but it overwhelmed me so I cut it back to what you see.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
618 Posts
Posted 12/21/2020   9:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add centerstage98 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Congratulations ... very nice feature. Thank you for sharing.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
641 Posts
Posted 12/22/2020   10:35 am  Show Profile Check wheelman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add wheelman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What a tremendous tool. Thanks for the great work!
Valued Member
United States
111 Posts
Posted 12/22/2020   8:46 pm  Show Profile Check NumOnes's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumOnes to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great site. We will be sure to mention it in an upcoming issue of First Issues. Www.firstissues.org
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5919 Posts
Posted 12/22/2020   10:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For the life of me, I couldn't manage to click on San Marino or Andorra...did you assign one pixel to each.
Valued Member
United States
111 Posts
Posted 12/22/2020   11:55 pm  Show Profile Check NumOnes's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumOnes to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I gave you a Tweet to share with the First Issue collectors and the RPSL showed their love as well.

Learn More...
United States
10743 Posts
Posted 12/23/2020   04:05 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you NumOnes.

Cjd,
I have San Marino in the lookup but apparently forgot to add the map coordinates. I'll see about adding this in the next few days. I do not have anything in place for Andorra, I deemed it too small to be bothered with. LOL, just kidding! It slipped through the cracks in the long list of countries, I will see about adding it.
Thanks
Don
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 565Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05