Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

2012 Patriotic Waves Of Color Tagging

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 409Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
8 Posts
Posted 12/24/2020   07:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add who4ever to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello all. This post is about the tagging of the US Patriotic Waves stamps of 2012, Scott 4717-4720, in denominations of $1,2,5 and 10. My 3 pictures show my copies of these stamps under regular light and SW-UV. The $1 and $2 stamps are noticeably bluish and dark while the $ and $10 stamps are very bright and greenish. Is it possible that my $1 and $2 are untagged? Stamp Smarter's images are the same as my stamps but they may have not noticed. I know more likely than not this is just a different type of tagging. Can anyone enlighten me as to why they look so different> Thanks in advance. Dave

PS:I apologize if this has been dealt with by Scott but I do not have a current catelog.

***Title Updated***
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
7336 Posts
Posted 12/24/2020   08:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello who4ever, and welcome to the forum. Please tell us what type of UV light you are using, short- or long wave?

Peter
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by Petert4522 - 12/24/2020 08:16 am
Valued Member
United States
8 Posts
Posted 12/24/2020   1:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add who4ever to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Short wave
Valued Member
United States
164 Posts
Posted 12/24/2020   11:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mstocky2 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My version of Scott's Specialized catalog which is somewhat dated lists this series as tagged. I went back and looked more closely and 4717 and 4718 are untagged. The ink used for at least one of the colors on these is reactive/luminescent under short wave UV which may have lead to that conclusion. I have updated the tagging DB to list these as untagged.
Valued Member
United States
8 Posts
Posted 12/25/2020   09:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add who4ever to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah? You mean I found something?
Valued Member
14 Posts
Posted 01/05/2021   5:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coversRfun2 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Would someone please correct the title of this thread? WAVES OF COLOR

who4ever said "Yeah? you mean I found something?" 'cuz mstocky2 said "I looked back and looked more closely---" mstocky2 MEANT "I looked back at MY OWN copies---"
So who4ever only found that Scott catalog includes $1 Waves of Color Scott 4717 as tagged when it is not. I can confirm from MY OWN copies, $1 #4717 does not glow while $5 #4719 glows, just like you showed. Sorry I could not find a $2 or $10 yet.

I went to stampsmarter dot com and they have #4717-4720 correctly as Waves of Color. They also have multicolored $1 and $2 dated 2015, #4953-4954 correctly as Patriotic Waves.
Their shortwave UV picture of $2 Waves of Color #4718 shows enough reactive ink that I guess Scott saw the same and thought that was the tagging. Although $1 #4717 ink is much weaker reactive, if it was there Scott just called them all tagged for simplicity.
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 409Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.11 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05