Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Angola (Portugal) Ceres Stamps

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 419Next Topic  
Valued Member

Romania
365 Posts
Posted 12/27/2020   05:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add cupram to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I did not find any mention in Scott or Michel that these stamps were forged.
I found on the net that similar stamps from Portuguese Guinea had been forged.
Not all information about forgery identifiers is correct (I found some that were not valid for forgery identification)
The stamps are printed typo, perf 12x11.5, coated paper.
Any additional information about fakes is welcome. Thank you.

Send note to Staff
Edited by cupram - 12/27/2020 05:51 am

Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
2977 Posts
Posted 12/27/2020   07:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The link on Guinea is also viable for Ceres Angola . Notice the hook form in the sleve on your 60c & 10E stamps.
https://www.inverso.pt/portugal/Ceres/ceres.htm
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5114 Posts
Posted 12/27/2020   07:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wait for CLIMBER STEVE ,he knows these stamps and has a reference source library .
Valued Member
Romania
365 Posts
Posted 12/27/2020   1:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cupram to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you floortrader.
"Excelentissimo" information.
It was easier for me to check the drawing differences.
For "CABO VERDE" everything was fine:

But the gum appears:

MOCAMBIQUE has good gum (?) But the drawing does not.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1502 Posts
Posted 12/27/2020   3:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Climber Steve to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Floortrader: thanks for your kind words. perf12's link lists the Joao Moreira Baptista book as a reference. I have the book: its google translate for the "hook:" "hook with which ends the left sleeve as in the cleat." So yes, your Mozambique is a forgery.

perf12: I appreciate this link and have bookmarked it. As an aside, I began a 9 month process in late September, going until about June, 2021, to do education and research for my first ever stamp show exhibit. I'll then do about 6 months of exhibit construction, with a planned showing in spring, 2022.. "Education" includes how to structure and set up an exhibit. For part of that, I've joined the AAPE (American Association of Philatelic Exhibitors).

The topic is these very same 1914-1926 Ceres issues of the Portuguese colonies. Thus far in the research to date, and I'm continuing to look, I haven't found any sign that these stamps have ever been exhibited in the US. They are probably taken for granted as they can be found in almost all world wide collections.

However, the Ceres is a very complex stamp. There were two dies, two perforations used, 17 different types of papers used. "Os Selos Ceres das Colonias Portuguesas," by Sr. J. Miranda da Mota, identifies some 350 different printing plate faults on these stamps. There are other printing "problems" as each sheet had to go through the printing press a second time to add the value and country name. Currently, I'm reviewing a lot of several thousand Ceres issues, much of it from Mozambique, that I obtained from another member of the ISPP (International Society for Portuguese Philately).
Edited by Climber Steve - 12/27/2020 5:15 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5796 Posts
Posted 12/27/2020   4:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Climber Steve, that is absolutely insane. I love it! I hope your exhibit appears online at some point. Perhaps under a Palmares link...

I pick at these when I don't find myself rushed at a dealer's table, looking for star varieties. (Low hanging fruit, I know.)

perf12's link mentions that the hook "tell" can appear very rarely on genuine stamps. Have you come across anything more on that front in your studies to date? (It makes me wonder if the forger had the misfortune to unknowingly copy a rare bird.)
Valued Member
Romania
365 Posts
Posted 12/27/2020   4:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cupram to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks perf12 and Climber Steve.
I discovered in the link the description of other series of Portuguese stamps (crown, Luis) of which I also have some. I am curious how many are forgeries.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31277 Posts
Posted 12/27/2020   5:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Phew! finally got the "hook"
took a while, I was looking at the sheaf tie, and wondering what was going on.
Now I see it, will check my collection.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1502 Posts
Posted 12/27/2020   5:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Climber Steve to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@cjd: thanks for the nice note. I did a quick skim; emphasis on "quick;" in the Miranda da Mota book and did not see a "hook" as a printing plate flaw. The late D. J. Daviess did note that one forgery does not have the "hook."

The "rotating stars" are noted in the Portuguese colonial Mundifil catalog. I don't know how available it is in the US. The Rocky Mountain Philatelic Library has a copy of the 2016, 7th, edition. I brought two back after visiting Filatelia Macas in Lisbon, in September, 2017, and donated one. I've since obtained the 2019 edition from the same source. The Congo 1/4 cent on ordinary paper, printed in 1920, has all 16 of the "star" varieties. It's the only stamp to have all 16. I bought it from the APS Stamp Store some years ago. Have not checked to see if the paper is vertical or horizontal wove. It's actually a full set of 32, but all are minor numbers in Mundifil.

@cupram: the early Crown issues of the colonies were extensively forged by Francois Fournier, among others. The most common tell tales are the ornaments in the interior design to not touch the inner frame on the four corners, to be genuine. Under the C & O of Correio on top, there is a bud directly underneath that bends to the left on the genuine. The Angola design is slightly different. There are other tell tales best seen in the D. J. Daviess book on forgeries. There also are forged cancellations and, on Portuguese India Crowns, forged surcharges.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5796 Posts
Posted 12/27/2020   5:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Alas, I rely on the simplified listings of Afinsa Colonies for my star gazing.

To be fair to it, it does list all 16 options for the liso medio 1/4c, with a low value for the upright/upright (I-I) and the high value for the tipped left/tipped left (IV-IV), and the remaining varieties lumped together in the middle, all assigned one value.

Two examples of each, you say...hmmm.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1502 Posts
Posted 12/28/2020   11:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Climber Steve to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@Cjd: I have the 2002 edition of the Afinsa Colonias catalog and note the "grouping together" that you mention. I don't know the circumstances or timing, but Afinsa became Mundifil after the scandal that involved the Afinsa company, and others, during the 2000s.

It appears that the 1/4 cent. was expanded upon by Sr. J. Miranda da Mota, who is both the editor of the Mundifil catalogs, and the author of the Os Selos Ceres book.

da Mota explains the papers thusly: wove paper viewed against a light will show small lozenges disposed vertical or horizontal. These papers originate from foreign sources. da Mota also references a local paper with vertical lozenges that are less distinct.
Edited by Climber Steve - 12/28/2020 11:15 am
Valued Member
Romania
365 Posts
Posted 12/28/2020   12:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cupram to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I managed with the help of the perf12 link to identify as genuine crown stamps of Cape Verde.
The stamps are in poor condition but can be used as a reference.
The only stamp different from the others is 50 r denomination which has perf 13.5, whiter and thicker paper (0.09mm), ungummed and with "Guine" overprint.
Please confirm that it is genuine and what the stamp is (in my Scott catalog reference is made to Scott Classic which I do not have).
Are plate flaws registered for this stamp in specialized catalogs?
Thanks for any help.

Valued Member
Canada
262 Posts
Posted 12/28/2020   3:45 pm  Show Profile Check clivel's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add clivel to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@Climber Steve:
Quote:
I have the 2002 edition of the Afinsa Colonias catalog and note the "grouping together" that you mention. I don't know the circumstances or timing, but Afinsa became Mundifil after the scandal that involved the Afinsa company, and others, during the 2000s.

I have recently started to expand my tiny collection of Mozambique and associated stamp issuing entities (Mozambique Company, Nyassa, Lourenco Marques etc.).

But I have been hampered by not having a suitable catalogue, so I ordered, but have not yet received, the 2019 Mundifil Afinsa Portuguese Colonies of eBay.

I am curious about the Afinsa scandal?

Thanks,
Clive
AlbumEasy - Free software for creating custom stamp album pages
Valued Member
United States
310 Posts
Posted 12/28/2020   4:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Calstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Google "Afinsa scandal". Several newspaper/media accounts.
Valued Member
Canada
262 Posts
Posted 12/28/2020   6:40 pm  Show Profile Check clivel's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add clivel to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Thanks, Calstamp, Google turned up plenty of related articles.

Clive
AlbumEasy - Free software for creating custom stamp album pages
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 419Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.7 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05