Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Bw 402 (Sg 354c) 5c Red Definitive Of 1965

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 235Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
726 Posts
Posted 12/27/2020   3:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add itma to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This one was a bit of a puzzle. I think I have it more or less straight now but confirmation would be much appreciated.

First, an image of the stamp which is a vertical pair with coil perforation. This makes it BW 402bc.

Just to confirm that it is 402 with Helecon dosed ink and not 401 with normal ink, here is a UV image of the fron (And yes, I need to improve my photographing by UV light.)

Just out of interest, I also viewed the rear under UV light, per the next image. It has a pink cast to it which could make it 402a. (BW 402 used up some Helecon paper stock, but printed on the non-Helecon side.) It is very similar to the reaction to KP5D paper, but not KP6T which is distinctly orange.

Finally, I checked it out for varieties and it looks as if the upper stamp could be BW 402d - retouch to four dotted lines in the top left corner. Now, on this issue I have some reservations: maybe the cliche for the upper stamp was rolled in a little heavier than for the lower stamp. Here is a comparison of the two Top Right Corners.

And finally, how would a combination of factors like this be expressed as a catalogue numbers: 402abcd or 402a/bc/d? And how would it be priced out? 402a in the 2019 ACSC is $25 per stamp, 402bc is $25 for the pair, 402d is $75 per stamp.

Your comments will be appreciated.

Send note to Staff
Edited by itma - 12/27/2020 4:07 pm

Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1471 Posts
Posted 12/27/2020   4:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rob041256 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You could use "402a/bc/d" it is easier to identify the stamp. And pricing such a stamp. even if it's a pair, most probably will be around the $100 mark.
Pairs do not always mean double the catalogue value.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Australia
17 Posts
Posted 04/09/2021   04:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add steveb to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It's just BW 402bc, which denotes the 1d red helicon ink coil PAIR. nothing more. no retouches to dotted lines listed, there are recuts to dotted lines list, no evidence you have that anyway. just wi$hful thinking I expect. Didn't look closer to see if it matches any of the other varieties listed, to my eyes it's nothing other than BW 402bc.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
  Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 235Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.11 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05