Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Anyone Heard Of This Dealer?

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 31 / Views: 2,087Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
460 Posts
Posted 12/29/2020   1:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mml1942 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I found two old business cards in my "archive" for Rex McGee.

No idea of the dates on these.

The two images on the left are the front and reverse of the card. The one on the right is a red plastic translucent card. I suspect it is the later of the two cards, as it also includes the area code. Actually, "214" was the only area code in Dallas until about 1994.

Obviously being 78 and trying to recall events that happened 40 years ago resulted in some errors in my earlier post.

Do we need a thread on old Stamp Dealer business cards?

Mike
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2046 Posts
Posted 12/29/2020   3:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The site that I brought claims he was active only during 1978-1981, so I'm missing something.

According to this blog post, the writer visited McGee's in the 1960s:

http://memorieswithaview.blogspot.c...lecting.html

Someone in this thread mentioned that the business was sold at some point. My guess is the original owner operated as a sole proprietorship, then the new owner incorporated the business in 1978.

Regarding the Monaco stamp with the "viberol tyrothricin" stamping, tyrothricin is a very old, very toxic antiobiotic. Most of you have probably seen pharmaceutical advertising postcards like the one below. I am wondering if pharma companies ever gave stamps to physicians with the drug names on the back? Would be an interesting collecting theme if true.

Valued Member
United States
79 Posts
Posted 12/29/2020   5:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MrEd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Mike

Not sure we need a business card thread but I sure could use a thread to boost my failing memory
Valued Member
79 Posts
Posted 12/29/2020   8:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tsmatx to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
..and some hijinx from a trading partner, Mr. Tracy Barber.

LOL is it really ok to put Monaco stamp on envelope and USPS will still frank it & deliver it? Is it ok if it doesn't have George Washington? I have long wondered if it is ok to put foreign stamps (for decorative purposes) but this is first example I've actually seen
Valued Member
455 Posts
Posted 12/29/2020   9:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StateRevs to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
is it really ok to put Monaco stamp on envelope and USPS will still frank it & deliver it?

I frequently use NY State Bedding Tax Stamps on my letters to other revenue collectors.

A few years ago I purchased a mint sheet folder full of state revenue bedding stamps for 1 scarce sheet buried in the pile. I ended up with a large number of very common bedding stamps and use them on covers to get a smile.

At least one member of this forum received a letter from me and commented on the bedding stamp on his cover.

I have used 1898 revenue battleships as well with no issues.

In my experience, as long as UPSP gets most of their postage, they don't seem to care what else is added.
Edited by StateRevs - 12/30/2020 2:32 pm
Pillar Of The Community
572 Posts
Posted 01/01/2021   03:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stamps101 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Oddly enough I was just sorting through some New Zealand and stumbled across other back printings I assume are advertisements:

I had never really noticed or looked for them before. Very cool
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33544 Posts
Posted 01/01/2021   04:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Oddly enough I was just sorting through some New Zealand and stumbled across other back printings I assume are advertisements:

Stamps101, Indeed Very cool,
please don't separate ! These can be reasonably valuable, and sought after, nice to see a triplicate.

Search this forum for full sheet posted by revenuecollector.

Here you go......
http://goscf.com/t/17329 br /
Edited by rod222 - 01/01/2021 04:28 am
Pillar Of The Community
572 Posts
Posted 01/01/2021   10:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stamps101 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That is absolutely super cool and thanks for finding that link. The full sheet looks like a newspaper at first glance. I was honestly never aware of this practice until this thread. I definitely will leave the trio together and will keep my eyes open for more of these. I can see how this would be a very interesting collecting theme for people.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2567 Posts
Posted 09/16/2021   9:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
*Bump*

Here's another:

It's a bit hard to read, but the company name is ERRINGTON & MARTIN

The company appears here at the top of the "E" listings:
https://www.rpsl.org.uk/gplstatic/B...16671564.pdf

backprinted on a used Iran Scott# 92
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33544 Posts
Posted 09/16/2021   10:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Another.
But it doesn't indicate which Bank.

no mine
Edited by rod222 - 09/16/2021 10:43 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33544 Posts
Posted 09/16/2021   10:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It's a bit hard to read, but the company name is ERRINGTON & MARTIN

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5958 Posts
Posted 09/17/2021   02:05 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The arcade at South Ken station is still there - less interesting these days, I fear. Errington and Martin made excellent stamp albums - until a few years ago, you could buy their residual stock from Dauwalders. The backstamps turn up quite a lot.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2567 Posts
Posted 09/17/2021   06:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You guys are the greatest! Many thanks!

One wonders if the free gift mentioned in the advert would be a backstamped stamp.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
62 Posts
Posted 09/17/2021   07:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Triangle to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In the UK drug companies sent doctors first day covers with the drug adverts. I have many from the 60's as my late father was a doctor.
The only stamp I got from this era was the first 3D stamp from Butan, again advertising a drug. I have kept all this material.
I think this influenced me to collect stamps although I am sure the drug companies were only trying to advertise.
Later in the UK, drug companies gave out medical phone cards, but that's another collection!
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33544 Posts
Posted 09/17/2021   6:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
ERRINGTON and MARTIN.
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 31 / Views: 2,087Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05