Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

1851-1861 3c Washington Compression Charts

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 73 / Views: 3,085Next Topic
Page: of 5
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1006 Posts
Posted 07/14/2021   9:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jaxom100 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ioagoa, if you have a bunch of confirmed plated images that you could send me, it would be great help. Or anyone else for that matter. Confirming each image takes a lot of time. Now that I have a chart available for any image, I do not have to take them in order.

Don, have you made a database for the guide dot charts that I can update as needed? There are 13 plates, 26 guide dot charts.

I build the guide dot charts at the same time that I do the compression charts.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by jaxom100 - 07/14/2021 10:00 pm
Learn More...
9685 Posts
Posted 07/15/2021   04:05 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Rick,
Your 1 cent Guide dots charts are being presented as a static webpage (not in a database) as shown here https://stampsmarter.org/features/S...Plating.html . Users navigate to the guide dots from the main 1 Cent page here https://stampsmarter.org/features/S...Plating.html

If desired, we can do the 3 cent compression charts the same way in which case you can simply email them to me and I will build a page for them.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1006 Posts
Posted 07/15/2021   04:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jaxom100 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don, is there a way for the static webpage to pull the images from a database so that I can make changes as needed and upload myself? I definitely do not want to have the compression charts in a static webpage that I cannot change myself.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1006 Posts
Posted 07/17/2021   10:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jaxom100 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Progress on the charts is going very slow. It is really disappointing. I keep stressing out over the extent of the project considering that there will have to be 2600 images and how long the images are taking. But I have to confirm each image to the best of my ability. But at this rate, it will take over a year to complete.
Learn More...
9685 Posts
Posted 07/17/2021   11:22 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Rick,
In my opinion there are no worries, the value of having an online, community-based project for these big efforts is that we can use crowd sourcing for vetting the content. It is simple to post "This project is in-process and the content is being vetted, please help us improve the quality by contacting us with any questions, suggestions, or improvements." at the top of the pages.

Some who come from hard copy publishing world consider 'publishing' as a milestone in which the content vetting must be completed but this is not the case with large online group efforts like this project.

Please believe me when I say that I understand the feeling of being overwhelmed with a large philatelic project. I have tackled some monster projects and I am sure that some here do not understand just how much work was involved.

My recommendation is to take one plate at a time, do the best you can with, than we post it and see if other will pitch in and help proof check and offer input. I know for sure that we have several folks here who will help but note that there is always the chance of getting some snarky feedback.

But the reward is that you are doing something that is a real contribution to the hobby and will help others for years to come. Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1006 Posts
Posted 07/17/2021   1:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jaxom100 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don, I very much appreciate your encouragement. I would love to have someone verify my work but that in itself would be a major task. I would also like to hear input or ideas from others. But without more completed charts it is difficult for others to get a sense of the project or what the final project will look like. I am also concerned with the plates that do not have a lot of images for me to work with. I am currently working on the left pane relief A images. The work is made harder because I only have use of one hand at this time and I have 4 kittens sitting in front of me most of the time that I have to reach around. I will post this relief A chart when I get it finished.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1006 Posts
Posted 07/20/2021   12:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jaxom100 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Can someone take a look at this issue that I am having with 39L4? Image 1 is showing a compressed image of the Chase stamp, a compressed image of the Lund stamp and a compressed image of the first stamp in our database. The Lund image does not match the Chase image. The first stamp in our database matches the Lund stamp on the right but not on the left or on the Chase image. The image of the right frame line of the previous stamp (38L4) on both of those stamp do not match my compression image of the right frame line of 38L4 as shown.

Image 2 shows the Chase stamp compression, and image 2 and 3 from our database. Both stamp 2 and stamp 3 from our database matches the Chase image. Neither of these two stamps show the right frame line of 38L4.

My guess is that the Lund image and the first image in our database are incorrect and image two and three in our database are correct.

The third image shows what I came up with for 38 and 39L4 for my compression chart. Do you guys agree that this is correct?

Don, should I remove the incorrect stamp from our database?

Edited by jaxom100 - 07/20/2021 12:35 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1006 Posts
Posted 07/20/2021   2:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jaxom100 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is the completed compression chart for relief A, left pane of plate 4. Your thoughts are appreciated.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1006 Posts
Posted 07/21/2021   9:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jaxom100 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is the relief C chart for the left pane of plate 4.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1006 Posts
Posted 07/23/2021   1:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jaxom100 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Can you guys take a look at this guide dot image? The first image is the Chase image. Of the other three images, is one, two or all three correct?

Edited by jaxom100 - 07/23/2021 2:08 pm
Learn More...
9685 Posts
Posted 07/23/2021   2:18 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Rick, I am unsure why no one is helping you. It is summer and we have a few less people in the community but I would have thought that others would be willing to assist.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
790 Posts
Posted 07/24/2021   11:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Caper123 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You've already got my guess, Jaxon...1.

And by the way, the charts look great Jaxom. I suggest that somewhere in the site, If not already provided, that explain how you go about creating a compressed image so the charts might be of use.
Edited by Caper123 - 07/24/2021 11:30 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1006 Posts
Posted 07/24/2021   5:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jaxom100 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is the guide dot chart for the left pane of plate 4. I had to scale it 50% to fit here. If anyone has a copy of one of the five positions showing the left guide dot, I would appreciate a copy to fill in the holes.
Edited by jaxom100 - 07/24/2021 5:19 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1006 Posts
Posted 07/25/2021   2:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jaxom100 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is the compression chart for relief B of the left pane of plate 4. Chart had to be scaled at 90% to load here.
Edited by jaxom100 - 07/25/2021 2:31 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1006 Posts
Posted 07/25/2021   3:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jaxom100 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is the compression image at 10% for the entire left pane of plate 4. This image was scaled at 65% to fit on this page. There were 7 incorrect platings of the Lund images on the 3c plating website for this pane. Be careful when using the Lund images for plating. The image count for images loaded for this pane was 615.
Edited by jaxom100 - 07/25/2021 4:15 pm
Page: of 5 Previous TopicReplies: 73 / Views: 3,085Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05