Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

1851-1861 3c Washington Compression Charts

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 91 / Views: 5,495Next Topic
Page: of 7
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1058 Posts
Posted 11/02/2021   9:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jaxom100 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It has been about 5 weeks since my last guide dot chart. Not good progress. I had to take a break for a time. I was getting burnt out. I started dreaming about making the charts. It would not have been bad if there was any progress in the morning... Argh. Compression charts for this pane are almost complete. On average, it takes about 20 minutes per image. Add to that, putting the charts together, it is about 40 hours per pane. It will start getting harder because most of the rest of the plates are not complete. Many missing images. I am approaching the 1/3rd complete mark (867). I am still pushing forward on it.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1058 Posts
Posted 11/03/2021   4:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jaxom100 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here are the compression charts for the right pane of Plate 2 Late. The A relief chart is not compressed, B relief chart is compressed at 80% and the full pane chart is compressed at 60% as needed to post here. There are no relief C stamps on this pane. 800 images complete, only 1800 more to go. Work is going slow but still progressing. These charts have been uploaded to the database at full size for your use. It is hard to believe that I have worked hard at it for 5 months and I am less than 1/3rd complete. Comments appreciated.

Edited by jaxom100 - 11/03/2021 4:32 pm
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
119 Posts
Posted 11/22/2021   3:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Harper1249 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jaxom100. I'm not sure I can help much, but I'm volunteering my services to help with this project in any way I can. I'm new here to this forum and by no means good at plating yet, but I am pretty proficient with photo editing, layout, Photoshop, etc. Happy to take on some of the more mundane work you have to do with these images. Definitely don't want to create more work for you, but if there is something I can do just let me know.

Regards,
Stephen
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1058 Posts
Posted 11/23/2021   01:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jaxom100 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Stephen, I do appreciate the offer. Not sure how I can take up the offer though. It is all mundane work. Plating knowledge is not that necessary to create the images. It is mainly photo editing. Compressing the images and matching them to the Chase compressed image. Then removing the cancellations. That is where most of the work is. I have already made blank charts of 5 (520 of them). The charts are created at 20% compression because that is the point where the main background becomes squares or close to it. Then I join 2 charts to make a row. Then I compress the row again to create the 10% compression charts. When I complete the pane, I build the charts from the completed rows. In the process, I also square up, crop, and adjust the contrast on the Chase images and also build the guide dot charts. It is really time consuming. After 6 months of work, I just passed the 1/3rd completion mark. The work will get harder as many of the remaining plates do not have images and I have to find them. Filling those empty spaces would save me a lot of work but we have to find someone with complete plates willing to share the images. I cannot use the images from the 3c plating website. Bryan threatened to sue me if I used those images. For all the good it would do him as I have nothing to take. With all the errors I have found in his Lund images (33 incorrect images so far), it is probably a good thing. And many of his images do not have two complete sides.
Edited by jaxom100 - 11/23/2021 01:58 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1058 Posts
Posted 11/23/2021   2:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jaxom100 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is the guide dot chart for the left pane of plate 5 late. I had to scale it 50% to fit here. If anyone has a copy of one of the three positions showing the left guide dot, I would appreciate a copy to fill in the holes. Full size image has been uploaded to Stamp Smarter database.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1058 Posts
Posted 11/28/2021   2:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jaxom100 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here are the compression charts for the right pane of Plate 5 Late. The A relief chart is not compressed, B relief chart is compressed at 95%, the C relief chart is not compressed, and the full pane chart is compressed at 60% as needed to post here. 900 images complete, only 1700 more to go. I passed the 33% completion mark. These charts have been uploaded to the database at full size for your use. This work is taking a long time. I will be starting back to work soon and work here will slow down. It is taking a lot longer than anticipated. Comments appreciated.

PS: Don, plate 5 left images are complete and you can compile at your convenience.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1058 Posts
Posted 11/29/2021   9:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jaxom100 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I found something interesting in the Stamp Smarter database. I noticed three stamps that were the stamps Chase used for his image. They are positions 6R5L, 10R5L, and 11R5L.

Edited by jaxom100 - 11/29/2021 9:35 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1058 Posts
Posted 11/29/2021   11:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jaxom100 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I guess that I was just not being observant enough. There are 13 images on the left pane of plate 5 Late that are the same images that Chase used. I went back and gave these images a green border instead of black to make them stand out a little bit.
Edited by jaxom100 - 11/29/2021 11:56 pm
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
119 Posts
Posted 05/19/2022   10:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Harper1249 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I just noticed that the compression images of the right pane of Plate 5 late made by Jaxom100 back in November (above) were never posted to SSD. Any chance those can be uploaded?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Netherlands
533 Posts
Posted 05/20/2022   04:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dutch US Stamp Collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
i have a really stupid question but used search option and stamp smarter and cannot find it

how do I compress an image so it is usable for the initiative?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1058 Posts
Posted 05/22/2022   1:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jaxom100 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Harper1249, that was an error indicating that the charts shown were Plate 5 Late Right. They are actually Plate 5 Late Left charts that were completed. I never finished Plate 5 Late Right. I had asked a couple people for images showing the ghost dots. I never received any images. There did not seem to be any interest in the charts. I was putting in a lot of hours. I was home on workman's comp for 7 months for an injury to my left hand at work when the table saw broke a board that I was cutting and threw it back toward my face. My quick reflex reaction brought my left hand up and I slapped the board away cutting through my left palm severing two tendons, 5 nerves and all the main arteries in my hand. I started back to work in December and never finished the charts for Plate 5 Late Right. The images that I asked for never came and no one ever inquired as to why the charts stopped. So I figured that there was no interest. As for as my left hand, it has never fully recovered. I cannot fully open or fully close the hand. The last time that I saw the doctor, he told me that he could reopen the hand and remove the scar tissue. However, there was a 30% chance that I would loose all use of those 3 fingers. I passed on the surgery. I have about 75% use of my left hand and I did not want to take the risk.
Learn More...
United States
10541 Posts
Posted 05/22/2022   3:11 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And I just got back from a week in the hospital after an amputation of a toe. It has set me back some on some of the Stamp Smarter chores but will get caught up in the next few days.

Dutch - there are instructions in one of these threads, I'll try to find and let you know.
Don
Valued Member
United States
367 Posts
Posted 05/22/2022   4:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GMC89 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am sorry to hear of your travails Jaxom. I'm also sorry to hear of your hospiltilization and surgery Don. May you both heal quickly.
mark
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
119 Posts
Posted 05/27/2022   6:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Harper1249 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Jaxom100, I'm just one person, but I use your compression charts pretty much daily when I am plating something. They are a great tool to have. I find them very helpful with positions that only have the frame lines recut and don't have guide dots or other recuts. What all do you need to finish the right pane of Plate 5L?

I am sorry to hear about your injuries guys. I hope you both are able to heal up and regain as much function as possible. And stay away from those table saws, they are very unforgiving.

Harper

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1058 Posts
Posted 06/01/2022   03:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jaxom100 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Harper, I was looking for the positions showing the ghost dots clearly, 12R5L, 32R5L, 52R5L, 53R5L, 72R5L, 73R5L. I am sure that you meant plate 5 right. Plate 5L is finished.
Edited by jaxom100 - 06/01/2022 04:00 am
Page: of 7 Previous TopicReplies: 91 / Views: 5,495Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05