Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Unsubscribe From HipStamp Emails?

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 42 / Views: 1,377Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
333 Posts
Posted 01/01/2021   10:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add canyoneer to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Has anyone else been getting almost daily emails from Hipstamp sellers? I can unsubscribe from each individually but can't seem to find a place on the Hipstamp site to say "cease and desist" to all at once. Any advice would be appreciated - Thank you all.

Oh yeah, and Happy New Year to all! May the stamp shows and bourses be back!
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
512 Posts
Posted 01/01/2021   12:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add uboatnut to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Same problem here.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
1018 Posts
Posted 01/01/2021   12:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, there's a few sellers that send far too many emails (City Stamp Montreal...). Most sellers send out weekly/bi-weekly ones, which is fine (full disclosure, mine go out biweekly).

In any event, I don't believe that option is available in the Email Preferences page on Hipstamp. You could try asking HS Support to put it in as a feature request if not available - they've been very helpful in my interactions with them.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2046 Posts
Posted 01/01/2021   3:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There is a way to unsubscribe at the bottom of each email. Realize this is not the solution you're looking for, but perhaps you could kill the worst of them, one by one.

Valued Member
United States
262 Posts
Posted 01/01/2021   4:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GMC89 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don't sweat the small stuff
Delete the crap
Save the good
There will be plenty of stuff to worry about
Not trying to minimalzize your issue
Everyone has the same problem, too much crap in our lives
Regards GMC
Pillar Of The Community
United States
806 Posts
Posted 01/01/2021   6:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I get them, too, and I HAVE NEVER SIGNED UP AT HIPSTAMPS. I am on SAN, eBay, here, and a bunch of well-known auction houses. I have no idea exactly from where they got my e-mail, and felt compelled to pelt me endlessly with offers that I have never taken them up on.

If they are doing anything, they are chasing me AWAY from doing business with them.
Learn More...
9902 Posts
Posted 01/01/2021   6:37 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Mooter,
It is not as simple as 'I signed up on a website and now they have my email address'. Big data is about stitching together hundreds or thousands of pieces of information on you to form a bigger picture. Having your email address published online, which you can find by doing an online search for your own email address (I found yours on several older websites), virtually assures that your email address gets included on email mailing lists. Stitched together with all the other info all these website gather on us and your email address gets tied to stamp collecting.

But do not fret too much, getting email spam is not nearly as bad as folks who have submitted their DNA to Ancestry or one of the other online databases. China now has the largest Big Data DNA databases in the world and is pouring huge amounts of resources in Big Data. At some point we will wake up to understand that the wars of the future will be information wars and that Big Data/AI is the battleground.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2756 Posts
Posted 01/01/2021   8:22 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Misinformation wars are already being fought and the US is losing.
The biggest threat is a massive Mr. Robot attack on our entire financial system. We will all be free of debt and broke at the same time.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
806 Posts
Posted 01/02/2021   2:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
But do not fret too much, getting email spam is not nearly as bad as folks who have submitted their DNA to Ancestry or one of the other online databases. China now has the largest Big Data DNA databases in the world and is pouring huge amounts of resources in Big Data. At some point we will wake up to understand that the wars of the future will be information wars and that Big Data/AI is the battleground.

Thank you, Don, for putting it into perspective. Another huge hobby of mine is genealogy. When the DNA typing companies started popping up, and pricing became reasonable, years ago, I thought I was in Heaven. When I read their Terms & Conditions, it was apparent that I could lose a LOT more than I would gain by using their service. My family also thought this would be a fantastic birthday/Christmas present for me - I realized this and had a talk with them. Please, under no circumstances, give this to me - I would get access to some very valuable info (valuable to my genealogical studies), but ownership would remain elsewhere and it is too valuable to let someone else own the info.

Topic: I have been using my e-mail address for about 25 years. One can hardly have a web presence without leaving 'crumbs' along the way. I am completely aware that data-mining is a huge industry and everybody's e-mail address gets 'dug up' and goes through a 'refining' process. I am spammed all the time. HipStamp and their associated sellers, though, spam me (far and away) more than any other group. Whether the HipStamp group dug me up, or they bought my info from some e-conglomerate that did it, I don't know - but with all the groups out there that would have at least as much interest in doing business with me as HipStamp, only the HipStamp group is peppering me multiple times a day. Personal experience has shown me that the 'unsubscribe' button is usually the e-equivalent of the 'close door' button in an elevator - it isn't hooked up to anything, and that it may actually have the opposite of the intended effect - it confirms that they have an still-active e-mail address. My historical response is two-pronged: (1) Never respond to the spam, and (2) make their 'penalty' for starting this be that I DON'T do business with them. I may be cutting off my nose to spite my face, but I don't care to do business with people/companies that resort to such predatory practices.
Learn More...
9902 Posts
Posted 01/02/2021   2:44 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...and that it may actually have the opposite of the intended effect - it confirms that they have an still-active e-mail address. My historical response is two-pronged: (1) Never respond to the spam, and (2) make their 'penalty' for starting this be that I DON'T do business with them...

I agree 100%. I am not for sale, my information is mine and only to be used if I give permission.

It may well be time to start filling HipStamp's Inbox with letters which let them know that they are losing business. Lots of folks complain about eBay practices yet seem to look the other way with HipStamp's policies.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
503 Posts
Posted 01/02/2021   4:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hoosierboy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
WW III is well under way and we are losing both as a country and as individuals. We are behind the technological .
Pillar Of The Community
United States
806 Posts
Posted 01/02/2021   5:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As a society, we have been brainwashed into thinking that any negatives there may be to putting our info out there is far more than offset by the positives. I see so many people that have no internal/philosophical 'internet filters' --- they throw their info around anywhere and everywhere. I use the internet, but I TRY to be careful with leaving my personal info around. I expect that my info can be gotten somehow, even without me spraying it all over the internet, but others' info are probably easier to get than mine. If I am targeted, I am probably helpless. If the bad guys are looking for the low hanging fruit, I MAY be OK. Those that have grown up with the paradigm that the advantages outweigh the disadvantages would call me a dinosaur. And, I certainly am. This time, though, the dinosaurs may be the survivors.
Edited by mootermutt987 - 01/02/2021 5:18 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2756 Posts
Posted 01/02/2021   7:03 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"Lots of folks complain about eBay practices yet seem to look the other way with HipStamp's policies."

I refused to business with them after the way they hijacked the other SCF (stole the content and everyone's email address) when they hired Lloyd.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2756 Posts
Posted 01/02/2021   7:04 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"WW III is well under way and we are losing both as a country"

Russia just puled off a massive hack of the US government and many companies, or should I say we just discovered it.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1565 Posts
Posted 01/02/2021   7:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Climber Steve to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
M M 987: "Hip Stamp and their associated sellers.....spam me more than any other group."

I see Hip Stamp all the time; even as I write this response; there is a HipStamp ad above this block and one below. I clicked on a couple things, that I thought might interest me, several months ago. Now, I get e-mails and pop up ads all the time. Guess what? I DON'T CARE! My delete button works perfectly well in my e-mail account and I ignore the HipStamp stuff that pops up when I'm web surfing.

I don't do business with any accounts on eBay, HipStamp, or Delcampe. When I need material, I look for it from reputable dealers with whom I've done business in the past. There also is the occasional auction lot; and, of course, the APS Stamp Store.
Edited by Climber Steve - 01/02/2021 7:33 pm
Valued Member
United States
344 Posts
Posted 10/26/2021   3:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ecmorgan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A little late to this topic, but something started up recently.

I don't mind the HipStamp emails usually. I buy from there from time to time, and its all good - I enjoy buying from Hipstmap.

But about five weeks ago, I purchased some covers from there and now I'm bombarded with emails asking if I'm "still interested" in covers I already purchased from their site. No big deal, but I'm getting these emails every couple days. Would be nice to NOT get an email from HipStamp trying to sell me something I already purchased on their platform.

Broke email marketing for certain. A message to HipStamp CS resulted in a generic "how to unsubcribe" email.
clay-morgan.me Some philately discussions. Some pontificating.
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 42 / Views: 1,377Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05