Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Unsubscribe From HipStamp Emails?

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 42 / Views: 1,378Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
7104 Posts
Posted 10/26/2021   3:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Good luck getting off of HS mailing lists. I am deluged and have contacted HS customer service countless times to complain. They always tell me that it has been corrected. They have really, really ticked me off and I am done with them.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
397 Posts
Posted 10/26/2021   3:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add classic_paper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Instead of contacting them countless times, just set up a filter that sends all the email from their domain to your trash.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2570 Posts
Posted 10/26/2021   4:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You're blaming the wrong guy. It is the individual sellers that are bombing your mailbox so you'll have to unsubscribe individually or use classic paper's method.

Perhaps it might be better to change over to a mailbox where most commercial stuff goes to a holding pen or trash to get dumped automatically after X days. However, it can work the other way where a legit email will be dumped there, so you'll have to check that section occasionally. If a legit correspondent, then the sender can be whitelisted.

Also, realize that Hipstamp sellers are very often under pseudonyms. "Real" business names can be found if you click on "seller" for a particular listing. You may be being spammed by your favorite dealer that you gave your email to, or an eBay seller that's on both platforms.
Edited by hy-brasil - 10/26/2021 4:24 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2046 Posts
Posted 10/26/2021   5:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What has really irritated me is that I get emails from sellers I don't know and have never bought from. I have never searched for or bought a USA or Canada stamp on Hip, yet I get tons of emails from sellers who sell nothing but those countries. I think there must be a way for sellers to buy into the mailing list(s) maintained by Hip. But they are wasting their money on me as I have unsubscribed from dozens of the unwanted spam emails.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
7104 Posts
Posted 10/26/2021   5:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
You're blaming the wrong guy.

Wrong.

All of the individual sellers spam emails that hit my inbox have the "[fill in the blank].hipstamp.com" address. When I communicate with HS they know this but blame the sellers. Hipstamp is selling my info to the sellers and the sellers are not using their own email addresses such as "spankysgoodstamps@gigglemail.com", they are using their Hipstamp email addresses.

Going into your HS account you can select to not receive HS emails however that will not apply to seller emails using their address.

It is a load of hot steaming manure.
Valued Member
United States
397 Posts
Posted 10/26/2021   6:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add classic_paper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Hipstamp is selling my info to the sellers

I'd guess they're not selling anything to anyone, you may have agreed to provide your email address to everyone in the ToS when you signed up. You know, in "the fine print."

Again, just filter it all and be done with it. Takes about 30 seconds.
Pillar Of The Community
1027 Posts
Posted 10/26/2021   7:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrewM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It's annoying, but I have far more important things to worry about than some spam emails that ask me if I want to buy some stamps. It's true Hipstamp has no "receive no emails" option, and they should, but I just "unsubscribe" to each email. It takes me no time at all. It's in the same category as all the junk mail in my actual mailbox, and by that I mean the one the post office uses. Junk mail has been around for over a century, so you might as well get used to it. It's one way the capitalist system operates along with TV ads, billboards and other annoying interruptions to our lives. Thinking you can scrub the world clean of all advertising is a pipe dream. I'm not sure why this rises to the top of anyone's "Important Issues" list. I like Hipstamp and buy a lot of stamps there, so I am not leaving them over some spam emails that take no time to "DELETE".
Edited by DrewM - 10/26/2021 7:13 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
1018 Posts
Posted 10/26/2021   7:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I use Hipstamp seller emails for my store (ontheridgestamps), here's an explanation of how they work that will hopefully clarify things.

Hipstamp will send on a seller's behalf periodic emails (in my case, every 2 weeks) to previous customers of that seller. It's a free service if you have a store subscription at a certain level. The email has whatever content the seller specifies, or their marketing group highlights something - e.g. 1000 new Italy & Colonies stamps listed...

That email is generated by Hipstamp, not the seller. The seller does not have any customer email info. The (seller at members.hipstamp.com) email address is an alias, when you reply to the email it will send an email to the seller's actual email (e.g. seller at gmail.com). The seller does not have control over unsubscribing customers from those emails, you do so by clicking the unsubscribe email at the bottom of the email. I've never had an email go out to someone who hasn't been a previous customer that I know of, and never would want that. Obviously can't speak to other sellers' practices, but as a buyer I've only received emails from sellers that I've bought from.

As a seller, I'd like some changes to all this - particularly the ability to unsubscribe customers myself, and create my own email templates/adjust frequency without involving Hipstamp staff. But I figure every 2 weeks is more helpful than annoying to my customers, allowing me to highlight sales or major new listings.

The generic Hipstamp emails are handled separately. No idea how those are scheduled but I agree they are far too frequent...

~Greg
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
7104 Posts
Posted 10/26/2021   7:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
GMOT - Great insight. Thank you!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
806 Posts
Posted 10/26/2021   7:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
You're blaming the wrong guy. It is the individual sellers that are bombing your mailbox ....

I have never registered for Hip, never purchased from Hip, never listed on Hip and never sent an e-mail to Hip yet I get loads of emails (arriving in Promotions Folder in my g-mail account) directing me to Hip. Each and every one has come from an eBay seller from which I purchased material on eBay. Been years like that now.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
7104 Posts
Posted 10/26/2021   7:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It's annoying, but I have far more important things to worry about than some spam emails that ask me if I want to buy some stamps.

I am sure that you do.

Quote:
Thinking you can scrub the world clean of all advertising is a pipe dream.

Yes it is. Nobody thinks that.

Quote:
I'm not sure why this rises to the top of anyone's "Important Issues" list.

Not on my list. Yours?

Quote:
I like Hipstamp and buy a lot of stamps there, so I am not leaving them over some spam emails that take no time to "DELETE".

Good to know.

Learn More...
9902 Posts
Posted 10/26/2021   7:29 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It should be noted that 'click to unsubscribe email at the bottom of the email' comes with a number of potential problems.

1. - It confirms your email address is both valid and in active use (makes the data worth more)
2. - You confirmed that you open and read emails (makes the data worth more)
3. - If you return an email it also sends metadata about your email app, OS, etc. in the email header (makes the data worth more)
4. - If it goes to a web page you send info about your browser, IP address, OS, etc. (makes the data worth more)
5. - Clicking on links in email has the potential to install malware on your device

Folks can learn more themselves by searching on 'is clicking on unsubscribe safe?'

HS is selling this 'service' even if it is simply using it as a 'value add' feature (at best). At worse, they are also selling this data to others outside the philatelic world. HS is responsible, if enough people let them know perhaps they would reconsider.
Don

Edit: Do not think 'I am not getting spam emails so they are not selling my data', selling your data has little to do with spam emails. It is about building a profile on you.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
806 Posts
Posted 10/26/2021   9:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As a few others, I have never bought anything through HS, nor have I set up an account. I still get tons of e-mails from them and their sellers. I NEVER unsubscribe, for the reasons listed by Don. I figure the best thing to do (I REALLY wish there were a better thing to do) is delete them and move on.

Alternate universe: Bounce the e-mails from certain domains back to where they came from, stating "Account Discontinued". It would only work if you could specify domains. Spam filters allow you to stop incoming stuff from certain domains, but I don't think they bounce them back.

There ought to be a law that says any outgoing e-mails must accept incoming e-mails (for bouncing). That alone would put a dent in spam.
Valued Member
United States
231 Posts
Posted 10/26/2021   9:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Greaden to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hipstamp is my main source of stamps. But when I buy from a seller, I buy just about everything in my collecting areas. The emails I get from the sellers just irritate me: they do not get me to buy anything more from them. I have tried and tried to find some setting on Hipstamps that would put a stop to the constant flow of ads. I unsubscribe from each and every one of them, but still, I keep getting them.

As a customer, I have to be clear that those emails have zero effect on my buying habits except to raise the question of avoiding hipstamp sellers altogether. If you are a hipstamp seller, do you have the option of opting out of this system? Do you really get any business with all that spam? Customers cannot opt out.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2046 Posts
Posted 10/26/2021   10:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Gmot- Thanks very much for the "inside" info. Whatever you may be aware of regarding how HS uses buyer info, I have received literally hundreds of marketing emails from sellers who would otherwise not have access to my email address except for HS. Whether this capability is offered as a value add, as Don suggests, or sold to HS sellers "under the table," my email address is being made accessible to sellers I don't know and who should have no interest in me either.

I have emailed complaints and always asked for examples. That's a sure sign that HS is simply playing dumb.

Is any of this a big deal? No, which is why I positioned this issue as "irritating" in my previous post.
Edited by shermae - 10/26/2021 10:08 pm
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 42 / Views: 1,378Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05