Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Unsubscribe From HipStamp Emails?

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 42 / Views: 1,376Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar Of The Community
3949 Posts
Posted 10/26/2021   10:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Two thoughts come to mind.

One, if I want to burn the bridge, I would escalate and start making a daily call to the state attorney general in the state in which they are incorporated and the state where I live. Be a steady pest demanding action by an unresponsive company.

Two, there will eventually be something listed I really want, so tolerate the emails. I have chosen this path, delete a few unwanted emails, and sleep well at night.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
1018 Posts
Posted 10/26/2021   10:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@greaden, to answer your question - yes, sometimes I've seen a uptick in sales which I attribute (at least in part) to a recent seller email for my store - in fact, just happened for Italy. Other times, no impact that I can see. They are most useful when having a sale in a particular category.

Are they useful to some customers? Maybe - I have customers that buy stamps from their same collecting area on a periodic budget, so they'll buy $X of French Africa this week, $X next week, etc. So an email letting them know my store has X new French Africa listings may be of interest. Or maybe not - I have had folks tell me since they favourite my store, they don't need the emails & unsubscribe. Even better!

@shermae - I agree that if you haven't had any dealings with someone, they shouldn't be sending you marketing emails, would be quite annoying. That hasn't happened to me as a buyer or a seller. Obviously I can't speak for what Hipstamp does, but selling data is something lots of companies do.

Frankly, I don't even like marketing as a whole concept, blame my uptight Canadian upbringing where it's seen as "rude" to promote yourself. So this & business cards is the limit for me for present time.
Edited by gmot - 10/26/2021 10:44 pm
Valued Member
United States
397 Posts
Posted 10/26/2021   11:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add classic_paper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What's the average age of the complainants in this thread? The needle on the "crotchety meter" is moving steadily to the right…

It's just an email. Delete it manually, or filter it automatically. It's not a big deal, people.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2046 Posts
Posted 10/26/2021   11:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Oh brother
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
7104 Posts
Posted 10/27/2021   12:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The needle on the "crotchety meter" is moving steadily to the right…

So younger people like spam more. Who knew?

I will forward mine to classic_paper from here on.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
882 Posts
Posted 10/27/2021   1:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Philatarium to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I was not aware of this until recently, but I've found a HS email preference page:

https://www.hipstamp.com/members/ac...-preferences

There are 12 different settings there for emails. Some of them are simple "off/on" choices, while others let you specify the frequency of emails: "daily/weekly/bi-weekly/monthly/never". (And a "save preferences" button at the bottom that needs to be pressed.)

For those getting too many emails, have you tried turning off the types you don't want there?

I'd be interested to know if that works.
-- Japan, Korea, Trucial States, Swiss booklets & more on HipStamp: https://www.hipstamp.com/store/the-philatarium

long-term member: American Philatelic Society, Int'l Society for Japanese Philately, & others
Edited by Philatarium - 10/27/2021 1:04 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2046 Posts
Posted 10/27/2021   2:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I just made a few adjustments however receiving spam emails from sellers who don't sell what I am looking for won't be affected. The only way unknown sellers could email me with spam is if they are provided access to HS's database of collectors.

HS's search AI has some issues in general. For example, this is a favorite search of mine:

MNH OR NH OR NEVER -UNITED -USA -US -CANADA -NEWFOUNDLAND

Invariably, when I receive emails from HS on this search term there are many sponsored results for US material, e.g. the inverted candlestick stamp. Given my search, why would ANY USA stamps appear as choices? The only exception should be a listing with the title "U.S." or similar with periods after the letters. HS does not provide a means to filter out these kinds of listings.
Valued Member
379 Posts
Posted 10/27/2021   5:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Andyrich74 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Philitarium, don't think the options you listed prevent vendors from sending spam; just emails directly from HS. I had a conversation with Hipstamp support staff and they said the same. Basically the answer was just "just unsubscribe." That said, am also pretty sure that unsubscribe only lasts a finite amount of time, as I've received emails from vendors I've already unsubscribed. Guessing it lasts a year, but that's just an estimate.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
7104 Posts
Posted 10/27/2021   5:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Andy - For me it lasts about a month. I have rarely purchased on HS and received 14 emails in the past two days.

I received this from HS today:

Quote:
Sellers look for initiatives in the marketplace to improve their sales. That being said, we provide them the opportunity to sign up to Seller Newsletters which they manage themselves and Hip sends these emails on their behalf. Furthermore, we automatically add any new customers they do business with to their email list, thus individual sellers on Hip may send out their own emails to you, based on your activity or engagement with their stores as previously mentioned.

At this time, I can confirm that you have been unsubscribed from Hip's newsletters, but if you continue to receive emails, simply click on the "unsubscribe" button found at the bottom of each email or reach out to us and we'll have our Marketing team remove you from the seller's mailing lists. We are now looking for a way to remove you from all Sellers newsletter databases.

Once again, we apologize for this inconvenience and thank you for your understanding in this matter.
Valued Member
United States
397 Posts
Posted 10/27/2021   5:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add classic_paper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I will forward mine to classic_paper from here on.

You're welcome to do so, since instead of spending time posting about it on this forum, I'll take a few seconds to set up a filter that sends it all to the trash where it will be automatically deleted every 30 days.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
7104 Posts
Posted 10/27/2021   6:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Learn More...
9902 Posts
Posted 10/27/2021   6:24 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In my opinion the burden should not be on the customers. The default, for any online company or organization, should be that customers are opted out for any kind of solicitations. And customers should have complete control over being sent solicitations.

This thread has been fairly predictable, those who buy/sell on HS tend to defend HS practices. Similar sentiments were seen when it was pointed out that HS owners also buy and sell on their own venue competing with the buyers and sellers they are also making money on. Those who left eBay after being angered will especially defend HS since the alternatives are limited; if you love to hate eBay then HS sins are diminished.

And to some extent, some have a email-centric perspective and do not understand how much of this works. The monetization of our personal data has little to do with sending some annoying emails, the fact that HS is encouraging users to click on 'Unsubscribe' reflects their motivations. There is no a single monolithic entity seeking to build a profile on each of us; there are a number of companies in a fierce battle to harvest and sell our information. Each is trying to build the most comprehensive profile on us, something they can go to advertisers and promote that buying their database will bring the best results. Scraping every tiny piece of info gives them a competitive advantage; our data is the currency and data sharing activity is considered an economic transaction.

HS is not the root of all evil, it is simply cashing on on multiple levels. This makes them exactly the same as eBay.
Don
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 42 / Views: 1,376Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05