Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

USPS Stamp Orders--Unsealed Sheets

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 693Next Topic  
Valued Member

339 Posts
Posted 01/04/2021   5:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Torin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
When ordering stamps directly from the USPS either via their website or their store on eBay, do you expect the stamps to be sealed?

On a recent stamp order from the USPS, for the first time ever, I received an unsealed sheet. I would have preferred a sealed sheet for preservation and handling purposes--yes I know the shrink-wrap has a statement regarding not suitable for philatelic archiving, but if one doesn't plan to use the stamps for postage but rather for collecting/viewing, IMO, having the stamps sealed is preferable.

What have been your experiences regarding receiving sealed/unsealed sheets from the USPS?
Send note to Staff

Learn More...
9629 Posts
Posted 01/04/2021   6:14 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
When I buy things like bandages, aspirin, or food (or other things which I am going to put in or on my body) I expect them to be sealed. When I buy things like light bulbs, books, or stamps; I do not expect them to be sealed.
Don
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
652 Posts
Posted 01/04/2021   7:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add alub to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I would have preferred a sealed sheet for preservation and handling purposes--yes I know the shrink-wrap has a statement regarding not suitable for philatelic archiving, but if one doesn't plan to use the stamps for postage but rather for collecting/viewing, IMO, having the stamps sealed is preferable.

Over time the cardboard insert, which is not archival grade paper, will degrade: the acids in the cardboard will migrate to your stamps and discolor them.

The plastic wrap is not archival either. Not sure what kind of plastic it is. But here is what non-archival plastic can do: it may stick to the stamps, and when peeled off remove some of the ink/paper. Plastic that is bendable off-gasses until it becomes brittle. Those gases can react with the inks and/or adhesives causing them to discolor, or in the case of the adhesive, bleed out from behind the stamp.

If you want your stamps to remain "post office fresh" keep them in a cool dry place, out of sunlight. And only store them in archival grade materials.
Edited by alub - 01/04/2021 9:17 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1180 Posts
Posted 01/05/2021   02:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I had the Marilyn Monroe "Stamp Folio" that the USPS put out in 1995 and left it in the shrink wrap. Big mistake. When I tried to remove the plastic years later, it had stuck to the folder and utterly destroyed it. I used the stamps inside for postage.
Valued Member
339 Posts
Posted 01/08/2021   7:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Torin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
alub: Thank you for the helpful explanation and advice.
Valued Member
339 Posts
Posted 06/24/2021   05:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Torin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
One concern I have in receiving an unsealed sheet from the USPS is how much it may have been handled by employees with oily hands. Fingerprints and oils show up prominently on black and glossy paper backgrounds. I would prefer receiving a sealed sheet and then removing it myself from the not suitable for philatelic archiving shrink-wrap.

I don't know why there isn't uniformity/consistency in receiving sealed vs unsealed sheets when ordering directly from the USPS. I wish they all came sealed.
Valued Member
United States
384 Posts
Posted 06/24/2021   08:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jconey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't expect them to be sealed. It's been a while since I got a sheet or anything else that was sealed over the counter or from the USPS stamp fulfillment service. I understand your concern with oily finger prints but honestly, I've never noticed that as a problem, at least in my personal experience.
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 693Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.14 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05