Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

#2371 James Weldon Johnson

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 1 / Views: 249Next Topic  
Valued Member

313 Posts
Posted 01/04/2021   6:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Torin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Beginner alert so terminology may be amateurish.

I have several stamps from the late 1980s that all have yellow or slightly brown gum that is glossy and shiny under light. However, #2371 (James Weldon Johnson), the gum is slightly yellow but dull/flat and resembles that of the State Birds and Flowers stamps issued in 1982. Is this normal for #2371 (James Weldon Johnson)? What is the purpose/reasoning for issuing stamps with dull gum?
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1213 Posts
Posted 01/04/2021   7:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JLLebbert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This issue was indeed printed only with dull gum. I do not know the reasons for the creation of dull gum ... perhaps someone else will chime in with the answer.
Added: A number of U.S. stamps have been printed with both dull gum and shiny gum. For a few of these, the dull gum variety is far more valuable. The ones that come immediately to mind are J94, J95 & O136. Hmmm ... just checked my new 2021 Scott and see that the recently discovered dull gum J92 has finally been listed. No CV is given ... as I recall, they were discovered by an SCF member less than 5 years ago. I think there were only 2 or 3 blocks of 4, but my memory is questionable. Definitely a very rare stamp.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by JLLebbert - 01/04/2021 7:40 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 1 / Views: 249Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05