Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

A Wyoming Contribution

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 719Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
88 Posts
Posted 01/04/2021   11:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add wyostamp to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Here is one of my all-time favorite Wyoming territorial covers -- kind of "alive" with the sense of how things were a-moving in 1880s America. The sender at Fort McKinney, having thought better of whatever he had previously mailed to a lady back in New York, was able to avail himself of the instantaneous possibilities of the telegraph to arrange for the cover to be intercepted and returned! I've never seen anything quite like it.

"Returned to the Writer / Requested by Post Master per Telegram / Fort McKinney Wyo. T."

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
889 Posts
Posted 01/04/2021   11:26 pm  Show Profile Check orstampman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add orstampman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Quite a fascinating cover - thanks for sharing!
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8778 Posts
Posted 01/05/2021   12:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great cover that has "personality". Thanks for sharing.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
552 Posts
Posted 01/05/2021   06:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hoosierboy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great registered cover to boot. I will add it to the registered U.S.A. data base. Thanks for sharing. Russ

https://stampsmarter.org/features/N...RegHome.html

Pillar Of The Community
United States
8123 Posts
Posted 01/05/2021   08:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know they one could do that today; I am surprised it was legal then. My understanding is that once a letter is mailed it belongs to the addressee, not the sender. But I am not sure when that actually occurred.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2700 Posts
Posted 01/05/2021   09:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
My understanding is that once a letter is mailed it belongs to the addressee, not the sender. But I am not sure when that actually occurred.

That was my thought as well. I do know that I'd like the read the telegram, must have been pretty convincing.
Learn More...
United States
10743 Posts
Posted 01/05/2021   10:10 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hopefully JohnB will weigh in, I am sure he either knows and/or can dig out the USPOD regulation for this situation.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
4498 Posts
Posted 01/05/2021   11:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Withdrawal procedure:

Every 8-12 years the USPOD published a collective "Postal Laws and Regulations" volume. These included 1879 and 1887. The 1887 volume was a complete reorganization and renumbering reflecting a lot of changes.

From the 1879 volume, section 294 describes the procedure after the mail has left the originating post office:

The 1879 procedure clearly had been replaced by 1885 by some other less cumbersome method. Here is the 1887 PL&V text in section 533, which specifically outlines the telegraph procedure to be used by the postmaster:

I am unsure exactly when the procedural change was made between 1879 and 1887, but apparently before this letter was sent in 1885, but the answer is likely in the US Revised Statutes volumes.

Add: Skipping forward many years to the PL&R compilation of 1948, it is still on the books:

Edited by John Becker - 01/05/2021 11:55 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8123 Posts
Posted 01/05/2021   12:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
So it was legal to do this, and apparently the sender made a strong enough reason available. I would think it was a rare occurrence to begin with, and the survival rate for such covers still rarer. Thanks for the information.

For those like me who thought of Knapp, the famous collector possibly being involved, he was only six at the time. And he was from NYC, not Poughkeepsie.
Valued Member
United States
201 Posts
Posted 01/05/2021   5:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add vinman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Are there any markings or postage due stamps on the back of the cover?

Vince
Valued Member
United States
88 Posts
Posted 01/07/2021   3:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wyostamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I checked the Ft. McKinney cover again, vinman, and the reverse is completely blank.

John Becker, thanks much for the documentation on interrupting first-class mailings! I'd often wondered whether it was legal for even the original sender to do this.

Stan
Edited by wyostamp - 01/07/2021 3:43 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2568 Posts
Posted 01/08/2021   12:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That is a terrific and really interesting cover. Thanks for sharing.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
552 Posts
Posted 01/08/2021   7:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hoosierboy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Cover has been added to the Registered U.S.A. data base as item 1352:
https://stampsmarter.org/features/N...gViewDB.html You need to click on the "next" button at the bottom of this page to move forward one page to see this item.

Thanks again for sharing this wonderful example of a seldom seen registration procedure.
Edited by hoosierboy - 01/08/2021 7:42 pm
Valued Member
United States
98 Posts
Posted 01/08/2021   9:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Revenue N Covers to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What an outstanding cover! thanks for showing it. Would love to know what he wanted to not say.....
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 719Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05