Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Canada #1098 With Missing Colour

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 333Next Topic  
Valued Member

Canada
24 Posts
Posted 01/06/2021   10:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add MichaelPat to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have never paid much attention to this area of philately, so after finding this little gem in a friend's collection, I have been poking around for some info.

There was a good article in Linn's about how to assess whether a missing colour was actually a printing error or some later alteration of the stamp. This one looks pretty solid - the Yellow in the CMYK process was never laid down. (Here's the Linn's article : https://www.linns.com/news/us-stamp...-colors.html )

Is this a listed variety in Unitrade? How would I go about evaluating it?

Here's what it is supposed to look like..

Any help/advice appreciated!
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
84 Posts
Posted 01/06/2021   11:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add UnitradeEditor to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Do NOT send it to me, unless I personally request it.

(Robert: please do not tell people to send me their stamps!, and please remove that note in your previous response.)

If you really think the yellow is completely missing, send it to the Greene Foundation for expertizing. They have the necessary equipment to verify it. There is a cost for this service.

I would suggest first posting a higher resolution scan here (at least 600dpi, or larger) so that we can look at it. Or, look at the stamp with a magnifying glass to see any remnants of the 'yellow'.

I store my used 'hoard' of stamps in boxes. For easy identification, actual stamps are glued to the end of each box. The following image shows the end of a box for the low-value mammal definitives ... this box has been exposed to fluorescent light for the last 30 years. There are no missing colours; just colour changelings due to prolonged exposure to light.

Comparison of correct colours vs. colour changelings:

Robin Harris
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Canada
24 Posts
Posted 01/06/2021   12:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MichaelPat to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you, Robin. Very helpful.

That scan is 600 dpi. I have studied the stamp under high magnification for any remnant of yellow ink - nothing to be found. The other colours are still brilliant - no evidence whatsoever of fading....

I'll check out the Greene Foundation....
Edited by MichaelPat - 01/06/2021 12:27 pm
Valued Member
Canada
153 Posts
Posted 01/07/2021   01:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Trodent to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Could it be that it is a USED stamp and somehow the stamp got bleached, chemically altered?

Trodent
Valued Member
Canada
24 Posts
Posted 01/07/2021   08:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MichaelPat to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is definitely a used stamp; the postmark is clearly visible.

I guess some sort of bleaching is possible, but it would have been very selective - the cyan, magenta, and black ink all seem unaffected, while the Yellow was completely erased.

Has anyone ever seen that happen? Is there some known way to selectively bleach out one colour of ink?
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
590 Posts
Posted 01/07/2021   11:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 3Dadeo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Highly likely that it is a sun-faded (UV) stamp.

Yellow bleaches out pretty easily - see the examples that Unitrade Editor gives. 2c is a good example.

Greene will unlikely certify it as an error due to it being a used stamp. If you sent it in, you would likely get a "no opinion".

Go ahead if you wish though. I don't believe they charge for "no opinion" - postage costs aside.
Pillar Of The Community
7468 Posts
Posted 01/07/2021   12:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
MichaelPat

I did a quick analysis of your 2 stamps.
As you can see the first stamp is more blue.
The second stamp is more green.

But like 3Dadeo says...I agree..Might just get NO OPINION.

Robert

Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 333Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.12 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05