Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Are The Right Tweezers For Stamps?

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 39 / Views: 1,379Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar Of The Community
Israel
606 Posts
Posted 01/06/2021   8:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Rob Roy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have found some offers for them at eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/353234650374
https://www.ebay.com/itm/174061492740
https://www.ebay.com/itm/274408487362

From what I see, there's no difference between "stamp tweezers" to "eyebrow tweezers", except the price: Add the adjective "stamp" or "philately" and the price jumps.

In the same way, "nail polish UV lamp" was effective for me not less than a dedicated simple stamp UV lamp, but much cheaper. Same with tennis ball vs. "Dog's tennis ball".

Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
84 Posts
Posted 01/06/2021   9:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add percyjgp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You really don't want anything that has a sharp edge to handle stamps.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31726 Posts
Posted 01/06/2021   9:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Opinion.
There is only one! Prinz Long Nose Pointy Tweezers.
Approx $15-$23
Use any others at your peril, or weakness at work.

If you can endure the learning process you will never look back.
Excellent for:
Sliding under a stamp and cleanly severing the stamp hinge
(dealers use this)
Straightening Bent and curled stamp hinges
Picking a stamp off a scanner platen.
Opening the cellophane of the A43 stock card, to insert stamps.
Picking an individual stamp from a bowl of cold water soaking.
Picking the stamp up, from a pristine drying teacloth, to place in the drying sandwich.
Gently lifting the Mylar strip, in a Hagner, to insert stamps.
Picking long hairs (and others) from stamps from trading partners (You always get them)

Warning: dangerous to put in pocket travelling, keep always in a protective case.

Edited by rod222 - 01/06/2021 9:28 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1884 Posts
Posted 01/06/2021   9:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Eyebrow tweezers usually have roughened edges to help you grab onto the hair. Roughened edges are not compatible with stamps. Tweezers also have relatively sharp edges which could damage stamps.

I personally like using very long spade-tipped tongs, which I believe is the appropriate word for a stamp grabber. I've noticed over the years that many dealers like pointy-tipped tongs. The advantage of pointy tips is that one is less likely to bend a perf or crease a stamp when picking the stamp out of a 102 card or glassine. It is also easier to aim a pointy tip where you want it.

Still, I feel safer overall with spade tips.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31726 Posts
Posted 01/06/2021   9:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Long nose pointies in action (Love it!)

http://goscf.com/t/75545

The perfect way to handle a stamp. (Not that I always comply)
Edited by rod222 - 01/06/2021 9:46 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1098 Posts
Posted 01/06/2021   10:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Timm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've used Showgard stamp tongs 902 and 908 for decades.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4350 Posts
Posted 01/06/2021   10:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Showguard 902
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5404 Posts
Posted 01/06/2021   10:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It's Showgard 908 for me.
Valued Member
Canada
190 Posts
Posted 01/06/2021   10:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Casey Magoo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
They are tongs. Do you use a flipper with pancakes or a spatula? I use a Solingen 2279
Edited by Casey Magoo - 01/06/2021 10:41 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Israel
606 Posts
Posted 01/06/2021   10:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rob Roy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all for sharing your experience.
In your opinion, the cheap tweezers/tongs that I saw at eBay are less good, or totally unadvisable for stamps?
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31726 Posts
Posted 01/06/2021   11:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Less good, probably.
You can use kitchen tongs if your budget is tight.
It comes down to enjoyment in Philately.
Sit in a Trabant, then sit in a BMW, you get the gist?

Example in my history.
I was using bent nose flat tweezers, when I once visited my auctioneer to buy some early Western Australian.

As fate would have it, I accidentally took home his Long Nose pointies, he had been using as a book mark.

He rang me, beside himself, that his fave tweezers were missing.
I had to drive all the way back to return.

I wondered what all the fuss was about, so tried them myself...
The rest is history.
I still reckon today, he thought I had nicked them,
but what can you do when stuff happens?

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5983 Posts
Posted 01/07/2021   12:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Stamp tongs receive extra polishing care to remove any imperfections that could damage delicate paper. Eyebrow tweezers are not the same and if you use them because they are cheaper you will pay on the other end when you damage a stamp.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
745 Posts
Posted 01/07/2021   01:04 am  Show Profile Check docgfd's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add docgfd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In North America, we use the term 'tongs,' but in many other countries (including England, where I grew up) the term used is 'tweezers' (as distinct from 'eyebrow tweezers').
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
144 Posts
Posted 01/07/2021   01:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Tongman65 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Long and pointy, for the win. Although I don't mind using a long cranked spade tip for stock book inventory.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2981 Posts
Posted 01/07/2021   05:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have both and find myself going through spells of using each.
Al
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2637 Posts
Posted 01/07/2021   07:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Showgard 901, 4.5" long and pointy.
Edited by littleriverphil - 01/07/2021 07:43 am
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 39 / Views: 1,379Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 2.45 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05