Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

A Special Kind Of Reunion

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 556Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
Canada
109 Posts
Posted 01/06/2021   11:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Casey Magoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
No explanation needed.

Send note to Staff

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
125 Posts
Posted 01/07/2021   02:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Tongman65 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Neat, now ink it up and make a cancel on another piece of paper, then display them together somehow. Great find!!!
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Learn More...
8779 Posts
Posted 01/07/2021   03:20 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
How do we know that the reunion was from years ago and not yesterday?
Don
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
125 Posts
Posted 01/07/2021   03:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Tongman65 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Gotcha, I need to think out of the box more or drink less!!!
Valued Member
Canada
109 Posts
Posted 01/07/2021   07:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Casey Magoo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
They are just a very close match. Eight bar circle could be the name given to it? I have a number of hand cancels that I got from a local woman. Her husband worked at a Collingwood Ont Post Office. She had other artifacts for sale like aprons and bags. She also said she has a lot of stamps, but because of Covid I was never able to sit down and see them. I hope she finally comes around one day. I would never put dirty ink on these things.
Edited by Casey Magoo - 01/07/2021 07:10 am
Pillar Of The Community
Israel
580 Posts
Posted 01/14/2021   04:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rob Roy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Casey, you can get a glimpse at those stamps by Skype or Zoom or a similar application, if she agrees.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
3794 Posts
Posted 01/14/2021   06:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dianne Earl to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great find

Thanks for sharing.

Dianne
Don't grumble that the roses have thorns, be thankful that the thorns have roses
Valued Member
Canada
109 Posts
Posted 01/14/2021   12:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Casey Magoo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Casey, you can get a glimpse at those stamps by Skype or Zoom or a similar application, if she agrees.

At the time she said they were all at her daughter's house. I have twice reminded her that I would be more than happy to see them. I don't want to wear out my welcome. I hope she has remained healthy, she looked to be 75 or more...
Edited by Casey Magoo - 01/14/2021 12:33 pm
Valued Member
Canada
109 Posts
Posted 01/14/2021   12:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Casey Magoo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Part Deux, who doesn't love an encore? You will recognize both of these cancels, and yes, they were already there. Oakwood Auctions, July 11 and 12, Lot 607 for the non-believers.

Edited by Casey Magoo - 01/14/2021 12:41 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
591 Posts
Posted 01/14/2021   12:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add funcitypapa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
At the risk of coming off as incredibly ignorant, this thread reminds me of entering an hour long conversation midstream. The statement "no explanation necessary" may apply to most but not to me. Could you please explain what you find so remarkable about this?
Edited by funcitypapa - 01/14/2021 12:49 pm
Valued Member
Canada
109 Posts
Posted 01/14/2021   12:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Casey Magoo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
These stamps were cancelled a very long time ago. I have a lot of stamps and a few hand cancels. They are symbolically coming back together as if I was the one that struck them ages ago. Show us yours.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
899 Posts
Posted 01/14/2021   1:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rgstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Let's discuss this:

I have US classic stamps that are regummed or no gum, unused with centering probably 90 or higher

Let's say the stamp would sell 200$ as unused with no gum in XF condition
But I use your cancel device and add a cancel and now it sells for 1000$

Can PF analyze ink and accurately determine cancel was added and not genuine? How could they determine this?
Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
2877 Posts
Posted 01/14/2021   2:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That would require forensic analysis using gas chromatography & mass spectrometry.One would have to know the type of genuine inks used.
The ingredients,drying time (could take months and years).
The FBI and Document,Art experts do that every day. Will they pay the costs involved?
Valued Member
Canada
109 Posts
Posted 01/14/2021   2:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Casey Magoo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I know that fake cancels and fraud have been around forever. These are just things I found living together in my stamp closet, nothing more.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
899 Posts
Posted 01/14/2021   4:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rgstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Perf12

I agree. Would they take time and effort to confirm (and cost)?

Maybe with a Scott USA 39

But how about a perfectly centered 95-98 no gum C2 airmail? Unused , Without gum, maybe sells for 100... add a cancel with device on this thread at top, used for 400- 900?

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2574 Posts
Posted 01/14/2021   4:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would think modern inks would react/fluoresce differently. I'm sure that older hand mixed inks will be absorbed differently.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 556Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05